Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-02-2008, 07:57 PM

Default LIVE Playback Question

I'm setting up a 002R to run tracks for a live performance, and the songs are sequential in a single session. Is there a marker or something of the sort that I can insert between the songs that will pause playback (the equivalent of pressing the space bar) so it will essentially queue up to a spot and stop, waiting for the drummer to press space bar to start the next song?

Thanks to all in advance.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:43 PM

Default Re: LIVE Playback Question

Personally, I don't think protools is a good choice for this type of use unless you have a dedicated operator. One idea would be to click on the region you want to play so it is highlighted. Then when you hit the spacebar, it will play to the end of that region and stop. The problem is that each time you want to play a region, you will need to highlight it first. You may want to add some space between regions to allow for hitting stop. You may also want to add markers at the start of each region so you can click on the name and instantly go to the start of any track. I can't think of any way to stop playback other than to highlight so protools only plays that region.

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-05-2012, 03:54 PM

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but I am doing some live work that requires this feature. Reaper has a slick feature using the SWS extensions that allows you to embed programming within a marker to pause playback at the end of a song, move to the next song start marker, then wait for the play button. Here is my dilemma.... Reaper is crappy at best when it comes to supporting control surfaces and only supports MCU and HUI protocols. I can't seem to get either of them to work with my Artist Mix and Artist Transport within Reaper. Pro Tools has EuCon which is awesome, but Pro Tools does not seem to have the ability to embed any transport automation within a marker. If PT had this feature, it would really, really make my life easier. Anyone out there facing this dilemma?
Old 05-17-2012, 12:02 AM

Just wanted to add that I tried albee's suggestion and found a decent workaround using the Artist Transport. It involves programming a few softkeys on the Artist Transport.

First right click the EuCon icon in the system tray to bring up EuControl.

When the EuControl dialog box opens up choose the Softkeys tab.

Next choose the Section drop down box and choose TU Softkeys.

Highlight a button of your choice in the diagram box and click the command key.

Another dialog box opens and you can delete the current command if there is one already programmed.

Next Choose the Drop Down command box and choose EUCON. When you do that the details columns are populated with menu choices.

Choose the following Editing/Selection/Extend Selection To Next Clip

Close the command dialog box. You should now see the EuControl dialog box. Click the save button and you are ready to go.

When you have a session open with sequential songs all you have to do is choose a track and then highlight a clip at the beginning of the session and press play. The first song will play from start to finish. When it stops the cursor will be at the end of the clip. Next press the softkey that was programmed on the Artist Transport. It now will highlight the next clip in the timeline. Next press play and the next song will play. Voila! With 2 button presses you can have your MIDI or Audio tracks pause between songs.

Thanks to albee for the suggestion. This makes Pro Tools actually usable (at least for me) in a live situation.