Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco
Default Re: 11r + pod hd500

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqlw View Post
I think I may have to eat my words..

I saw these videos, and now I want one

http://www.gearwire.com/line6-pod-hd500-part1.html
http://www.gearwire.com/line6-pod-hd500-part2.html

I think the effects and looper in a portable format that sounds pretty may be useful for something after all! Now I just need to wait until I can afford them both :)
i'd really like a looper as well, though it's probably too much to ask from the 11R. Would probably be easier, is to make 11R compatible and supported with other DAWs, namely Ableton Live 8. I play with my laptop onstage anyway. I mean, all the new MBoxes are boasting compatibility with all major DAWs, i'd hate to see the 11R get left in the dust.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 10-26-2010, 12:22 PM

I have the HD500, but don't have 11R. I have a copy of Eleven LE. so I can't give advice on the midi switching and filling in the gaps stuff, but I will mention one thing:

***** DO NOT use the 11R cab models with the POD HD amp models. Or Vice Versa. *****

The 11R cab models are voiced for the 11R amp models. They will sound shrill and harsh with the POD HD amp models. The POD HD cab models will sound dead with the 11 R.

My suggestion would be to grab Mellowmuse and a few Red Wire IRs.

There is no issue with the effects bank to my knowledge.

Mainboard: DFI Inc. INF P35-R
BIOS : Phx Tech, LTD 6.00 PG 03/11/2008
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
MP APIC : Y
Tot Mem : 3.25GB DIMM DDR2 (WinXP)

Chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31 Proc
Front Side Bus Spd : 4x 266MHz
Mem Bus Spd : 2x 399MHz

(C:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
(D:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
Old 10-26-2010, 02:14 PM

Red Wire IRs: Not too bright (11R) not too dark (HD500), just Goldilocks. (TM)
Old 10-26-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djemass View Post
I will not buy any Line6PODHD because it will not solve what lacks already in the 11R, ie delay spillover nor Custom IR slots. PODHD doesn't do them. However, stereo delay of Line6 PODs has always been great and I think PODHD has a cool Harmonizer. Come Digi guys, please move on, your amp sims are top notch, but your product lacks a lot of things... It is really a pity.
Agree. The 11r sounds great as is (in my humble opinion !) Just add some additional fx (and delay spillover) Come on guys !
Old 02-04-2011, 12:34 PM

How about 11r + M13? I have an M13 and that's what I am thinking. Although I don't think I want the M13 to be a controller. But I do have an FCB1010 Uno.....

:)
Tampa Bay, Florida
http://www.frankencat.com
<><

PT 2018.12 (Win)
PT 10.3.10 (Win)
Mbox Pro Gen 3 Firmware 1.0.4
Focusrite 18i8 Gen 2 (mobile rig)
Windows 10 Enterprise (main PT OS)
Mac Mojave 10.14.4 (no PT at the moment)
Old 02-04-2011, 12:47 PM

I picked up an HD500 back when they launched also. After using it exclusively for a few months, I went back to the 11R and feel unimpressed with the HD500. At first I thought the HD500 was fantastic; a huge leap over the X3 series. But as I worked on more and more patches, I realized I missed the 11R amps, their warmth, and their feel. The HD500 is in dire need of some additional models; I was so disappointed in their AC30 and JCM800 models after trying to dial in patches with progressively more gain. The AC and JCM models in the 11R are my favorites.

So then I tried the HD500 using the four-cable method with my Mesa Mark IVs. Ick... major tone suck. My A/B tests couldn't be more clear for me... the HD500 sucks tone even when its models are completely off. I tested with all the different amp output modes, pres instead of full models, etc. and it didn't matter. Much more tone suck than my M13 was. So I didn't even try the four-cable method with my 11R.

I used the HD500 once as a MIDI controller, and although I thought the functionality was much better than the Ground Control Pro (YEAH an expression pedal!), I'm content right now with a simple dual-footswitch to turn on/off my compressor and delays. Once you understand that each MIDI setup is set for each patch, it's actually very easy to program the HD500 to use exclusively as a MIDI controller. I also set up my patches to turn on/off the effects on the HD500 so they represented what (should) be set on the 11R.

Line6 is marketing the hell out of the POD HD right now... all the GCs in my area have them stacked up right where you walk in the store. I'm sure they'll sell a ton. I'm curious to see how people like them long-term. Certainly my experience of being initally wowed and then disappointed after a few weeks cannot be isolated. I'm glad Avid is increasing their 11R advertising (the new ads are certainly better) but I'm worried that they don't have the partnerships with retailers to get the 11R visible in the stores.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:43 PM

I own both, not trying to use them in conjunction with each other... Love the 11R and will buy the EXP pack on Day 1. Ready to buy computer specifically for audio and PT9 is sitting on my desk ready to install.

I felt like the HD500 was worth a look for the days I wanted an easy load-in. I have a tube amp/boutique pedalboard rig I still gig as well...

Found HD500 patches here: http://www.imaginemusicprogram.com/ Andrew Bordoni has done a bunch with the HD500 already and i played an hour gig using mainly his Crunch2 patch with a trem block added. Everything from Patsy Cline to CCR and Georgia Satellites with one patch. With the OD on you can roll the volume back for clean... His patches are some of my faves out there. Then I have a no-amp patch for mandolin (some varying compression and dynamic delay and reverb)

SO three setups? Yeah. Some places the amp is still what I want to play. The 11R is going to probably be my sole recording tool and ultimate direct rig. The HD500 is gonna get the grab for Sundays where I'm playing mando and guitar and/or I'm not playing a couple weeks in a row. I think the 11R Studio Reverb kills the HD500, but I send a fairly dry signal to the house anyway. All tools, all cool, and have their purpose. I think the 11R has a better feel than the HD500, but if I'm only playing 30mins somewhere and space is tight, I'll be the only one who knows.

Sort of a derailment but one guy's view. Still thrilled to have the 11R and can't wait to install expansion pack.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:00 AM

Just to update this thread a little for anyone still interested...

I bought the POD HD500 specifically as a midi controller for my Eleven Rack and to add the extra effects I needed (harmonizer, whammy, looper, synth and voicebox). I dumped my Zoom G9 as it just couldn't handle the midi customisation I needed to control the 11R.

So, have to report that the result of this combination is outstanding so far! MIDI is working well now that I've got used to the structure/patch organisation required. The HD500 is sitting nicely in the FX loop of the 11R for when I need the extra effects. I still need to tweak a little but HD500 is pretty transparent in the effects loop and the vast majority of the time it's completely bypassed anyway. When I do need the effects they get switched in with the 11R FX loop.

The expression pedal (midi programmable) works really well for controlling single or multiple 11R effects and the toe switch (also fully programmable) is a godsend for getting a very realistic wah switching / operation.

The real beauty of the HD500 for me over the other midi boards is that
a) it gives me the missing 'toys' that I like
b) plus I get a really good and portable self contained unit for practice/ small rehearsals
c) AND I get a complete back up rig should someone drop the 11R at a gig!
Old 03-16-2018, 08:57 PM

I know this is a very old thread but this motivated me to run my HD300 through my effects loop on my 11R and I have to admit ... its not half bad. The cabinet sim on the HD300 is garbage so its interesting to hear how the 11R cabs sound. I also do not care for the tube screamer on the 11R (Green JRC OD, I believe its supposed to be similar to a TS-808?) but Im not happy with it. I might start a new thread on this.