Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2008, 11:49 AM

Default Macbook

I've been using protools for years on windows with an 001. Now that it's crashed and way out of date, I bought myself an MBox 2 Factory. I was thinking about getting a Macbook. They're about a thousand bucks with 2.1 Gz and a Gig of Ram. Is that system good to go or would you recommend going to 2 or 4 Gigs Ram?

Also do you use the firewire drive on the macbook or a USB port for the Mbox 2? Thanks much!

July

MP3's
Old 12-14-2008, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Macbook

I would have at least 2gb, but it's so cheap put in the full 4gb and you're fine. However you will want a GOOD firewire hard-drive....there's the rub! Apple stopped putting firewire on these laptops, because they want you to pay more money for a MacBookPro. USB hard-drives for real-time audio just don't work and the internal drive is too slow for serious work. IMHO, either spend the money on a MacBookPro or look for a previous generation MacBook.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:38 PM

refurb Macbook... $899. Great deal. Buy the RAM from a 3rd party, and not from apple. Most here us Macsales.com for both RAM and Firewire hard drives. I suggest OWC Mercury classic FW drive, the ones with the Clear "See Through" case.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:46 PM

You can actually still get the white macbook with the 2.4GHz and 2GB RAM for $1150 brand new. Good deal since it has firewire and the faster processor.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...mco=MjE0NjI4NQ

J
Old 12-14-2008, 01:04 PM

Even though you didn't mention it as an option, I'd go with a new MacBook Pro. More money up front, but it sounds like you like to get a system and just run with it until it can't run anymore. With a new or previous generation MacBook, you'd save some now but would likely need to upgrade sooner than if you'd just started with a MacBook Pro.
A previous generation MacBook is a good bargain, but I've always had a slight issue with buying previous generation technology. I have no problem USING previous generation stuff, but if I'm buying a new machine, I tend to go with the new goodness rather than the old leftovers. Its a shame the new MacBook doesn't have FW, because in all other aspects it would be a great machine for audio. And if you're using Garage Band or even running small sessions in PT or Logic, the MacBook would probably do the trick, but the limitations of internal drives and USB externals would almost definitely become an issue at some point down the road.
The MacBook Pro has firewire (for external HD or a different interface down the road), larger screen (every bit helps with PT, in my opinion), and the Express Card slot to allow for expansion and future upgrades (like an ESATA drive or something like that).
So the price is more, but in the long run I think it is a better investment. Of course, I just got one a couple days ago, so I MIGHT be biased. :)

Steve
Old 12-14-2008, 01:14 PM

i agree, if money isn't a problem spend until you turn blue. As a matter of fact keep spending and buy the best piece you could possibly buy, a Mac Pro! But if money is an issue, I stand by my suggestion of the refurb Macbook. If the new generation of Macbook and Macbook pros were huge leaps in technology, then I would agree, previous generation technology would be not as good of an investment, but really since they still utilize Core 2 Duo chips, they aren't really a HUGE technological advancement in power, yes I understand in terms of design and environmental they are fabulous. If they had Core 2 Quads or a much better processor, then I would agree with the statements above about not buying previous generation technology. But it's not like the new Macbooks and Macbook Pros are moving from G5 technology to Intel here. Power wise you won't see much difference between the previous and this newest generation. I say spend little now and in a few years when they switch to Intel's latest and greatest you will have a worth while reason to upgrade again...
Old 12-14-2008, 01:17 PM

^ I love my macbook pro, even though it is a year and a half old. But the new macbook pros start at $2000 with the same speed as the $1150 white macbook, and it does have firewire unlike the new macbooks. The only real advantage the Pro has (like you said) is screen size, video card, and expresscard slot. If you don't need that stuff, I would say, get the fastest white book, upgrade the RAM (sell the 2GB on ebay) and be done.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:18 PM

+1
Old 12-14-2008, 01:57 PM

Don't know if anyone has seen these yet or not, but they look like pretty good deals for the macbook pros; depending on what exactly you want of course.

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/macbookpro/
Old 12-14-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swethington View Post
Even though you didn't mention it as an option, I'd go with a new MacBook Pro. More money up front, but it sounds like you like to get a system and just run with it until it can't run anymore. With a new or previous generation MacBook, you'd save some now but would likely need to upgrade sooner than if you'd just started with a MacBook Pro.
A previous generation MacBook is a good bargain, but I've always had a slight issue with buying previous generation technology. I have no problem USING previous generation stuff, but if I'm buying a new machine, I tend to go with the new goodness rather than the old leftovers. Its a shame the new MacBook doesn't have FW, because in all other aspects it would be a great machine for audio. And if you're using Garage Band or even running small sessions in PT or Logic, the MacBook would probably do the trick, but the limitations of internal drives and USB externals would almost definitely become an issue at some point down the road.
The MacBook Pro has firewire (for external HD or a different interface down the road), larger screen (every bit helps with PT, in my opinion), and the Express Card slot to allow for expansion and future upgrades (like an ESATA drive or something like that).
So the price is more, but in the long run I think it is a better investment. Of course, I just got one a couple days ago, so I MIGHT be biased. :)

Steve
I ordered mine last week too, using pretty much exactly the same reasoning. Nice post.