Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-21-2007, 10:16 PM

Default 003 will not sync with S/PDIF

I had this working fine for about a week.

Now my 003 console will just not read my TC Electronic Fireworx through S/PDIF.
The Fireworx picks up the digital lock (and any incoming audio signal).. but the sync light on the 003 remains unlit (back when it worked, this was lit) and Protools will not accept s/pdif as the clock source.

I'm very confused about this. Everything looks like it should be working fine.
It stopped working when I took the Fireworx to use live through XLR, so I changed the I/O on the fireworks to Analouge, got it back in the studio and changed it back to S/PDIF and it's not working anymore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Koe.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:34 AM

Default Re: 003 will not sync with S/PDIF

Protools will not accept s/pdif as the clock source.

Do you mean that the S/PDIF option in Setup => Hardware is greyed out ?

Maybe the link below to the Technical Support folder can aslo help
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=25974

Dutchmountain
Old 10-22-2007, 04:43 AM

Yes, from the dropdown menu in Hardware - Clock Source I can select s/pdif (rca) but then it says "Clock source is invalid, reverting to internal".
Old 10-22-2007, 06:15 AM

The problem is most likely :

1) The TC box is not sending sync
2) Bad or incorrectly connected cable
3) The Digi box is not receiving sync

Test these things through a process of elimination.

If 1, you can test this by hooking the TC's sync output to another piece of equipment, and see if it receives it. (Use a different cable than you are using to connect it to Digi.)

If 2, try another cable, and verify that it's connected to the right ports, etc.

If 3, try sending the sync into the Digi box from another piece of equipment, and see if it receives it.

My intuitive guess on this is that most likely the TC box is not sending out sync. When you changed its config recently, and then changed it back later, you may not have changed everything back to the way it was. The next most likely possiblity seems to be cabling error, connected to the wrong port.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:10 AM

I have double checked, and checked again, the cabling.
I'm sure the cable is not faulty as it's the same cable that was working fine before i took it live.

The Fireworx all seems to be set up correctly. The only thing I change when using it live is the input as the Fireworx outputs are default... First, it will use analouge, then if analouge out is not available it will use S/PDIF (RCA).. There is no way to change this, so I haven't.

Unfortunately I dont have another peice of equipent that uses S/PDIF... So I can't pinpoint where things are going wrong any further than: It's somewhere between the fireworx back to the 003 (as digital signal goes into the fireworx)

To me the Fireworx seems to be set up correctly... It has a digital signal that's strong, it's recieving the audio, everything looks normal. It's the 003 that is looking weird. No sync light... and Pro Tools refuses to use S/PDIF as the clock.

I can't imagine how something could have gone wrong with the 003 in that few hours I used the Fireworx live though... Then again, a lot of the things that Pro Tools puts us through doesn't seem possible/reasonable.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:01 PM

Any more ideas??

Sorry to keep bugging everyone about this... but I'd really like to get this unit working again! I paid around $1500 for it, and it worked for about a week.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:11 AM

Hello,

If the spdif sinc is greyed out it is 99% likley that there is an issue with the TC setup.

Go into the set up and check your word clock settings on the TC. Is your spdif coax cable 75ohm?

Check that the cable has not been squashed or bent at an point, this could affect the signel!

I hope this helps.

Iain
Old 11-05-2007, 04:46 AM

koe,

Give another check on the TC menus.
If I understand you correctly, only the input configuration can be changed, and it always outputs SPDIF ?
How about internal/external sync?
How about sample rate ?

Best of luck, you'll get it working soon..
a

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 11-06-2007, 03:24 PM

The Fireworks I/O setup menu says this:

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/zero_6sic6/TCIO.jpg[/image]

The only other option for output is this: Analoge
--------------------------------------------------RES-EBU
--------------------------------------------------S/PDIF

So I assume that just means you can choose what order the Fireworx outputs?
I have nothing plugged in except S/PDIF (and power)

Does this look okay? It seems like it should be right to me.

Thanks for the help.

(I dont think the image code is working?? maybe just copy and paste the URL into your browser)
Old 11-06-2007, 11:49 PM

Hello

It's not the audio routing you need to check in the setup but the wordclock, it is possibly assigned to another channel other than the spdif ie adat or aes. It should be set to master if you want to use the clock in the TC.

Iain