Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2006, 05:31 PM

Default Disk Drive read problem

I have a Glyph FireWire 400 drive, 120 GB, that has been a happy camper for over 18 months. Today, i turn it on, it shows up on the desktop, I can read (non-ProTools) files from the drive and write (non-ProTools) files to the drive, but when using it with ProTools, (Vers 6.9.1, Mac OS 10.3.8 on a mirrored door G4) ProTools says "this is not a qualified volume" (or something like that) - basically, suddenly ProTools won't use this drive to read or write audio. Any thoughts?
Old 03-12-2006, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Disk Drive read problem

From the Answerbase

"This can happen for different reasons.
1) Check hard drives in the workspace (in Pro Tools, go to the Windows menu and choose 'Show Workspace') and make sure the ( A ) column to the right of the drive is set to ( R ) and not ( T ) or ( P ).
2) Trash the Digidesign Databases folder on all hard drives.
3) Trash Pro Tools preferences files. USERS/username/library/preferences/Pro Tools preferences
4) If you have run the "restore" or "reinstall" of OSX and choose the save applications and files option, Pro Tools will not function correctly upon being restored, one symptom would be the error as noted in the subject "The drive cannot be designated as an Audio playback/recording volume because this is not a valid audio volume" Solution is to run the uninstaller from the Pro Tools 6x CD, repair disk permissions on the drive (use the Apple Disk Utility located in MacHD>Applications>Utilities) and reinstall. Pro Tools at that point reacquires the drives as record volumes."
Old 03-13-2006, 10:19 AM

Thanks so much for taking the time to make this post. Yes, somehow the drive was set to "T" in the workspace instead of "R". I have NO clue how this could have happened, but ..... oh well.

I greatly appreciate your time and assistance.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:33 AM

sometimes it just happens

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig