Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2015, 12:05 PM

Default Re: What happens if I DON'T upgrade to PT11 before December 31st?

Perhaps you could be a bit more accurate when you quote the webpage? You give the impression that there is no separation between all of what you quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post
And here, I see the price of $899:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/pro-...ware/licensing

Also says "coming soon". Also, "renewable for $199/year".
That refers to NON-upgrades, right? Look at which box you find that in. This thread is about someone who already owns PT, right?

Quote:
"Pro Tools | Software annual upgrade and support plans—coming soon"

I don't know when "soon" will happen.
And the above was found below the rest, so putting all of the above into one chunk when you quote creates the wrong impression. Again, it appears to be referring to NON-upgrades, which, again, is irrelevant to the thread. You should have quoted not just the headline but the text immediately below it:

Quote:
Pro Tools | Software annual upgrade and support plans—coming soon

Got Pro Tools 11 or Pro Tools | HD 11? Purchase an annual upgrade and support plan for your software to receive all future upgrades—including cloud collaboration and the Avid Marketplace—and access to expert help 24x7.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:43 PM

I quoted all from the same "box". The quote is accurate.

Here it is in its entirety:

"Pro Tools | Software
Price: $899

Get the industry’s most trusted DAW for professional music and audio production. Your purchase includes:
Pro Tools 11 and 10 licenses and software
AAX plug-in bundle, including over 60 virtual instruments and effects
iLok 2 USB key (for software authorization)
One year of Avid Standard Support (renewable for $199/year)

Coming soon..."

I didn't assume, like you, I could translate Avid's meaning. That's why the quote. Let the reader decide the meaning.

If it refers to someone who already has the software, I don't know what $899 buys you.

You are looking at the wrong copy. You should be more careful when correcting someone.
See:
http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-...ware/licensing

The topic of the thread is what will happen if you don't upgrade. Could be you will then need to pay $899 as your upgrade fee of you don't pay $199 during 2015.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:00 PM

I honestly don't know what they mean by support, possibly the most I would use would be OS versions updates....

But like many here, I have always fixed my own problems
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjohung View Post
I have PTMP 8. Do I still qualify for $199 upgrade to 11. Also, I heard that when you get 11 you also get 10 license. To make RTAS still compatible and usable. Before upgrading all the plug ins to AAX.
According to this page http://www.avid.com/US/products/pro-...ware#licensing you still qualify for the upgrade from Pro Tools M-Powered 8 to Pro Tools 11. Pro Tools 11 is a bundle license that includes Pro Tools 10.

You will need an iLok version 2.

Be sure to read the FAQ's
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...2014-Offer-FAQ

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-01-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I quoted all from the same "box".
No, you did not.

Quote:
The quote is accurate.

Here it is in its entirety:

"Pro Tools | Software
Price: $899

Get the industry’s most trusted DAW for professional music and audio production. Your purchase includes:
Pro Tools 11 and 10 licenses and software
AAX plug-in bundle, including over 60 virtual instruments and effects
iLok 2 USB key (for software authorization)
One year of Avid Standard Support (renewable for $199/year)

Coming soon..."
That's right. But then you also wrote "Pro Tools | Software annual upgrade and support plans—coming soon" which is below that box.

Quote:
I didn't assume, like you, I could translate Avid's meaning. That's why the quote. Let the reader decide the meaning.

If it refers to someone who already has the software, I don't know what $899 buys you.
Ok. Then what do you suppose the other two boxes are about? The other two boxes contain information about:

"Pro Tools 9 or 10",
"Pro Tools Express (any version from Avid or InMusic)",
"Pro Tools LE (any version except Mbox 1st generation and Digi 001—more info)",
"Pro Tools M-Powered",
"Pro Tools MP", and
"Pro Tools | HD 9 or 10"

Are there any other versions we're concerned about that we have no information about? Which ones?

Quote:
You are looking at the wrong copy. You should be more careful when correcting someone.
See:
http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-...ware/licensing

The topic of the thread is what will happen if you don't upgrade. Could be you will then need to pay $899 as your upgrade fee of you don't pay $199 during 2015.
No, that's not the topic of the thread. If you read the title it includes "BEFORE DECEMBER 31ST". If you read the very first post in the thread the poster writes "I have PT10 currently and I will want to upgrade to PT11 soon."

Now you tell me: If you use the link you provided yourself and use the information that the starter of the thread provided - what's the current post-december31st upgrade price in the online store?
Old 01-01-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjohung View Post
I have PTMP 8. Do I still qualify for $199 upgrade to 11. Also, I heard that when you get 11 you also get 10 license. To make RTAS still compatible and usable. Before upgrading all the plug ins to AAX.
I had a PT MP 8 and 7.4 license that I never used to upgrade to 10. So I purchased the PT 11 upgrade for MP last night. It asked me which (7.4 or 8) I wanted to surrender for the upgrade. I used 7.4 and it all worked, so I got to keep my 9/10 license, that I had previously upgraded from LE, and now have a 10/11 as well.
-Neil
Old 01-01-2015, 03:50 PM

Like the topic of the thread asks, I would like to know what will happen if you don't upgrade.

Do we assume the $199 upgrade/crossgrade price is still current since it is still listed in the Avid Store? But I haven't tried to buy it.

What is the current upgrade price? Bruce Paine says, "The current offer terms and pricing expires at the end of this month (December 2014), but you will still be able to upgrade after that. Pricing has not been announced, but upgrades in 2015 will be less than the cost of full purchase."

If all this was clear, we wouldn't have so many pages and threads focusing on pricing. I have seen the price of $199 for the software upgrade/support if you already own PT11 but I don't know if that is really the price since it is not listed in the Avid Store... yet.

But I did find a support price in the Q&A, " The upgrade/support plan for v11 owners will be available soon, and the cost of this 1-year plan will be $199 for Pro Tools | software owners, and $599 for Pro Tools | HD Software owners."
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Like the topic of the thread asks, I would like to know what will happen if you don't upgrade.
"if you don't upgrade" when? It's a question so open-ended it's meaningless. I mean, people asked this before December 31st, you're asking it today, and you can ask it June 25th as well even if the information is exactly the same. It's always possible to ask the question.

Quote:
Do we assume the $199 upgrade/crossgrade price is still current since it is still listed in the Avid Store? But I haven't tried to buy it.
Why would it not be current if it's in the store? Why not just try to buy it? See above; you can always ask this question. "I see the price listed on a page. I see the price listed in the online store. But if I click 'buy', will it still be 'current' when I try to buy it?"

Quote:
What is the current upgrade price? Bruce Paine says, "The current offer terms and pricing expires at the end of this month (December 2014), but you will still be able to upgrade after that. Pricing has not been announced, but upgrades in 2015 will be less than the cost of full purchase."
It IS possible that he expressed himself carelessly, just like a bunch of people continuously do, and thereby feed confusion. If you look at the page layout - the page you linked to btw - it's clearly divided into making different points. Just because all words exist on the same page don't mean they all refer to each other. The "offer" seems to state 1) that you got extra time on your support plan, into March 2016, and 2) that we should "Please note that all current Pro Tools 11 crossgrade offers from Pro Tools Express, Pro Tools LE, and Pro Tools M-Powered/MP will expire on December 31, 2014."

That's what we see on that page as far as tying price to a deadline.

Quote:
If all this was clear, we wouldn't have so many pages and threads focusing on pricing.
Well it doesn't help when people in each thread decide to answer questions that aren't those specifically asked in the first post and thread title. Someone will read the thread title and first post and then other replies that don't make clear that they're answering a different question and then come away with the wrong conclusion, which of course doesn't jive with what's stated. Of course they'll ask for clarification.

Quote:
I have seen the price of $199 for the software upgrade/support if you already own PT11 but I don't know if that is really the price since it is not listed in the Avid Store... yet.

But I did find a support price in the Q&A, " The upgrade/support plan for v11 owners will be available soon, and the cost of this 1-year plan will be $199 for Pro Tools | software owners, and $599 for Pro Tools | HD Software owners."
Seems clear to me. For v11 owners the cost will as stated. They could be lying of course. Or change their minds. Stranger things have happened. But again; it's a question that can always be asked, right?; 'what happens if they change their minds next week?'
Old 01-02-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattiasnyc View Post
Well it doesn't help when people in each thread decide to answer questions that aren't those specifically asked in the first post and thread title. Someone will read the thread title and first post and then other replies that don't make clear that they're answering a different question and then come away with the wrong conclusion, which of course doesn't jive with what's stated. Of course they'll ask for clarification.
But, doesn't that happen in most threads?
Threads start, people ask new questions, topics drift for awhile, etc...
It's the Internet.

As an outsider looking in.
You seem to be coming down on people for commenting on topics that aren't specifically what you think the thread should be about.

If someone is trying to help, why be so set on stifling their opinions?
Their intent is positive, as is yours, and I would back you up in the same way.

I hope you don't take this as a personal attack, I enjoy reading your thoughts as much as everyone else.

We're all frustrated.
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter View Post
But, doesn't that happen in most threads?
Threads start, people ask new questions, topics drift for awhile, etc...
It's the Internet.

As an outsider looking in.
You seem to be coming down on people for commenting on topics that aren't specifically what you think the thread should be about.

If someone is trying to help, why be so set on stifling their opinions?
Their intent is positive, as is yours, and I would back you up in the same way.

I hope you don't take this as a personal attack, I enjoy reading your thoughts as much as everyone else.

We're all frustrated.
Agreed. Sometimes a thread goes in a slightly different but connected direction when somebody mentions something that might be related to the original thread topic. And others pick up on that, etc. All legitimate reasons for a thread to change direction.

It's myopic at best to expect a thread to stay totally on topic.

QAPLA!