How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 10-22-2021, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Carbon Fan Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzam View Post
So... in the latest firmware, is the noise issue resolved? I'm seriously interested in a Carbon, but my space is small and fan noise is definitely an issue in this space. I've worked hard to get my computer almost silent, thanks to huge slow fans, undervolting, and a big fat CPU cooler. If the Carbon is going to make a lot of racket, I'll have to pass...
It's better with the latest firmware, but I still find it intrusive.

I tried putting the Carbon in a small closed rack and it got really hot, so I have it out, sitting on a laptop stand with (very quiet) 20cm Noctua fan under it.
Unfortunately you have to have it close because you need to adjust the controls by hand. The excuse for not fixing AAX DSP Space was that people wanted remote controlled pre-amps first. But that hasn't happened. Frankly I despair of Avid software development, despite the fact that the Carbon is a good bit of kit. But it definitely isn't silent.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:15 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
It's better with the latest firmware, but I still find it intrusive.

I tried putting the Carbon in a small closed rack and it got really hot, so I have it out, sitting on a laptop stand with (very quiet) 20cm Noctua fan under it.
Unfortunately you have to have it close because you need to adjust the controls by hand. The excuse for not fixing AAX DSP Space was that people wanted remote controlled pre-amps first. But that hasn't happened. Frankly I despair of Avid software development, despite the fact that the Carbon is a good bit of kit. But it definitely isn't silent.
Hi All,

Pro Tools 2021.10 was released today. You should start seeing the download available in your Avid account shortly, if not there already. We have some exciting updates for Carbon which include preamp control from Pro Tools and Optical S/PDIF support. These have been two of the most popular feature requests so we're happy to bring them to you. Hope you enjoy these additions!

You can find the Release Notes here.

What's New guide with info on each new feature here.

And, Carbon preamp control video here.
Berkeley, CA
Old 10-28-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Hi All,

Pro Tools 2021.10 was released today. You should start seeing the download available in your Avid account shortly, if not there already. We have some exciting updates for Carbon which include preamp control from Pro Tools and Optical S/PDIF support. These have been two of the most popular feature requests so we're happy to bring them to you. Hope you enjoy these additions!

And, What's New guide with info on each new feature here.
Just got the email. Thanks Kyle! Downloading it now.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |

Old 10-28-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Hi All,

And, What's New guide with info on each new feature here.
Excellent. Very happy to be wrong about this one!
Thanks Kyle.

Dominic
Old 10-28-2021, 10:27 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Excellent. Very happy to be wrong about this one!
Thanks Kyle.

Dominic
Sure thing!
Berkeley, CA