Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2018, 03:40 AM

Default Live-Recording with MADI to USB (ProTools11)

Hi, I'm going to do a live recording of only a few tracks with my System. I was advised by the Audio-People of the venue to install Digico-drivers for the UB MADI card and I will get a USB Signal from their interface. Also they told me to make sure I have enough space on internal HD (SSD 250 in my case).

1. Isn't it better for Pro Tools to work with an external Drive instead of the internal drive? Maybe that rule doesn't apply in that particular setup?

2. Will this work regarding compatibility? Is there a danger to get drop-outs while recording? I have no possibility to test. Is anybody experienced with this setup?

Thank you!

Last edited by JonasW; 01-03-2018 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Live-Recording with MADI to USB (ProTools11)

Everything worked fine.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:43 PM

Did you find an easy way of passing the track labels across to Pro Tools?

Or did they just default?
Old 01-27-2018, 01:48 AM

No, I had to go to I/O setup and create paths. I had to hear which was which afterwards. Maybe the FOH-guy didn't assign them although it would have been possible. It was a busy night.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:59 AM

When you say you had to create paths I guess you mean that you just added the correct number of Tracks and the mapping to the MADI was automatic (MADI 1 to first track, MADI 2 to second new track, etc.); That is what I use when doing live recordings from my DigiCo desk (the good news is that I can then replay through the desk over the PA if I want to review any settings; plus if an understudy wants to practice I can replay the relevant number, and block that track so that track alone is coming live)

The problem is I have not yet found a way of labelling the tracks in Pro Tools automatically from any labels I apply to the desk channels, MADI stream etc.

I am investigating the import possibilities for Pro Tools in the hope that I can generate a file (CSV, XML I do not care) and then import to label the tracks. If that is possible then I can parse the Session report from the DigiCo desk and create the file. It will be a pain to create the app that will do it but would save me having to label the tracks twice- once on the desk and again in Pro Tools. As this particular MADI stream could have up to 56 tracks, this would be a big help