Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2009, 09:37 AM

Default Avid United

A good explanation for why everything is becoming "Avid" might be that they plan to release a new SUPER APPLICATION that is Full versions of AVID editing, ProTools and Sibelius in one monster app. A one stop shop all integrated and cleanly recoded. From Picture edit, to score, to mix all done in one program ! Now wouldnt THAT be cool
Old 09-12-2009, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Avid United

I would be a NIGHTMARE. Leave them separate and just improve interoperability. PT and what is it Media Composer are huge app's as it it, merging would be a resource hawg. It would be a bunch code with spit and tape holding them in the illusion of being one app.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUNDDECISION View Post
Now wouldnt THAT be cool

Uhm................ No.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 09-12-2009, 10:19 AM

Well my concept was that it would be "re-coded" from the ground up into one new seamless app.... not a combo of what exists now. My guess is that some day someone will do this at some point...and if I was going to do this down the road I'd wanna start thinking about rolling all the separate companies into one... is all I'm sayin ;-)
Old 09-12-2009, 10:31 AM

Still... NO

I don't want to pay for all that crap that I don't use..

I don't want the video programming geek to over-rule something the audio programming geek thinks is important.

If the video portion is not a strong selling point, then it just drags down the rest of the development.. As long as it is a separate company and app, then the mother corp can just cut loose any dead weight if needed...

People like to throw that line around: "Re-coded from the ground up"

Like that's an easy, efficient way to fix all the problems of the software...
Old 09-12-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
Still... NO

I don't want to pay for all that crap that I don't use..

I don't want the video programming geek to over-rule something the audio programming geek thinks is important.

If the video portion is not a strong selling point, then it just drags down the rest of the development.. As long as it is a separate company and app, then the mother corp can just cut loose any dead weight if needed...

People like to throw that line around: "Re-coded from the ground up"

Like that's an easy, efficient way to fix all the problems of the software...
But AVID is a video editing company first... I certainly dont think they see video editing as "not a strong selling point" I also think they could do it in modules that can be purchased that add the different functionality but to one central application. Believe it or not, I can remember using protools when it was only 4 tracks of audio with NO plugins... Certainly NO video, No Notation, No midi of any kind. So it certainly is evolving in that direction... i would think the only way to do this properly would be to create a new app tho rather than just band aiding together all the existing apps.

I mean its not like I'd be the only one that wanted Sibelius level notation inside protools or wanted to be able to instantly conform my protools timeline to video edits done on the AVID.....

If anything most people I talk to are amazed these programs are NOT better integrated considering they are all technically from the same company.

If I owned all these different divisions Id certainly be thinking about something like that.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:44 AM

Try to stick a composer, audio engineer, and video geek together in a room and see if you can get them to agree.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
But AVID is a video editing company first... I certainly dont think they see video editing as "not a strong selling point"
It was just an example. By tying everything together, you are tying their fortunes together as well..
Old 09-12-2009, 12:38 PM

I would hate to see them screw up Pro Tools in the name of some grand idea.

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-12-2009, 02:05 PM

In my opinion,

having everything in one giant programme would be just about the worst thing that could possibly happen to the Audio Post industry.

Schedules and budgets are already ridiculously tight. This would encourage producers in a huge sector of the market to go with "one stop shops".

Your not only talking about a large number of redundancies, but the quality of the final products will suffer immeasurably and I suspect there will barely be a living worth earning for many people.

Video, Audio and Composition are entirely separate disciplines requiring different minds with different sensibilities and skill sets.

A "jack of all trades, master of none" approach would be disastrous for the industry (well that's assuming the consumer actually does care about quality).

The smart thing to do (again, in my opinion) would be for the programs to share a common file format that can be opened on any one of them.

Each program has it's own GUI that the professional user is intimately familiar with. And likewise each program has its own relevant set of tools for its intended application.

Let the Video guys go to work, and then hand over to the Audio guys, without the need for an OMF / AAF.

Updates, re-cuts and reversions can be handed back and forth without the need for re-conforming.

Everything going on under the hood would be the same for Pro Tools and Media Composer (or whatever they end up being called), but the Video guys would have limited tools regarding the audio side of things, and the Audio guys would have limited tools regarding the video side.

The important thing is that the video is handled by video experts, and the audio is handled by audio experts.