Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Build \"Software Update\" feature option to ProTools

Digi,

It might be a good time to put a "Software Update" feature option into ProTools. Quite a few software companies have this implemented, and I think most people will benefit from it.

Performing this update would automatically link up to the server, and give the user the most current list of software updates, plug-ins, firmware available to run on their existing ProTools software and operating system versions. Or an "auto-update' option which will simply update all the files and plugs & firmware for that system.

It just saves time, so we don't have to go through all the various software/plug-in updates and which versions they are compatible with, etc.

Maybe in ProTools 7?
Old 03-01-2005, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Build \"Software Update\" feature option to ProTools

That would be so cool. Please!!?!?!
Old 03-01-2005, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Build \"Software Update\" feature option to ProTools

ahh, but then it would pop up and nag you, and you'd have to go looking for the "Disable automatic update" preference in the middle of cutting a vocal.

Sometimes, I really think due to the stabillity of some updates, OS and application, that i'm kinda glad it's not as "Convienient" to update.

I'd rather see RTAS plugs on Aux's for PT 7

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 03-02-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Build \"Software Update\" feature option to ProT

Hi David,

Nope, that's not the way I want it to work. It's going to be available just like the other software companies - on the left side where you have the "About ProTools" info. Just below that, you could have "Check for Software Updates". And here you can set to do manual update on checks, or auto-update. And this setting is stored just like any of the other preference setting.

That's it. No messages appearing 'mid-way' into your mix prompting you to do an update.

Cheers.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:10 PM

Hi Sam, you're probably right... I was just picking on you for no reason.

Digi - bring on the auto update for my buddy Sam.

I'd probably end up using it... i just wouldn't tell you

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 03-02-2005, 10:26 PM

I like the idea, but I don't want it. There are too many pre-update maintenance routines that need to be done manually, and I don't want an engineer to think he's doing me a favor by getting the latest update with this proposed method when all he is really doing is creating a recipe for disaster. Leave the updating to me.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:38 AM

After 6.7 cs8 and 10.3.7 and my new Accel card, along with echo farm, autotune, duy, and waves updates I just made.... I never want to update my system again. Ever. Cause it flat out doesn't work as well as it used to.