Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-17-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Thanks DigiCS

Thanks for clearing that up DigiCS. You would not believe how many people at the major studios in Los Angeles are convinced digi is dropping Apple.

Go figure.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Just heard this thru the grapevine

Quote:
I just do not see why one would say a company would lose half their clients if they supported PC only.
Maybe because well over half of their clients are running on the Mac, and most of those do prefer it?

Quote:
Seems we have to squash this rumour every 6 months or so
That's funny, I seem to hear it every two or three months...and always from a "reliable source"...

-Duardo
Old 02-17-2005, 12:36 PM

You start a thread with the word "grapevine" in the title.

Then in the body of the initiating message, you write: "It came to me from a very reliable source."

Then you end it all by saying, "You would not believe how many people at the major studios in Los Angeles are convinced digi is dropping Apple."

Studio chatter is your standard for reliable source?

GMAFB

You are now ready to submit your application for employment at Fox News.

Don't bother with your next post. I'll save everyone from reaching for the Pepto Bismol. No, there will NOT be a new Accel Core Card announced at NAMM.

j
Old 02-18-2005, 02:25 AM

Sorry I was not clear on this. I originally heard it from my "reliable source" who somehow always seem to know things regarding apple, digi etc. a little in advance from you and me. But I posted the reply to the digi person about 24 hours later. During that time, I had spoken with other people I deal with at studios. In passing I asked if they had heard about this and they said "Yes" a lot of people have brought that up lately. SO, the situation had changed a little bit in 24 hours.

Hope this clears things up for ya.

AND I promise to keep any further information I hear about good or bad out of this forum.

My apologies.

RW
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:58 AM

hey no need to apologize...look at all the issues that got cleared up by you posting that thread. DigiCS stepped in and assured us that it's not true. they wouldn't have done that if this thread had not been started in the first place. we all wonder these things in the back of our minds...

Da-nick-str = Nick Dellos
Old 02-18-2005, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Sorry I was not clear on this.
Sorry to be harsh, but as Digi states this is "rumour" just keeps coming back from the dead, much like reports of Apple's coming demise.

How's this? If Digi announces that they're dropping support for Apple hardware in calendar year 2005, I'll come make coffee and sweep the floors at your studio.

Digi, don't set me back 20 years!

j
Old 02-18-2005, 08:07 AM

of course they denied it. even if they are planning on doing it, they will have to deny until they are ready to announce. I don't doubt it's what will end up happening but it will be gradual.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Just heard this thru the grapevine *DELETED*

I don’t understand why some people have a mental-block on the possibility of Digidesign dropping Mac support.

AVID is pissed at APPLE over FCP. I’m sure everyone at least agrees on that.

Some think FCP is meant for the basement studios, and the AVID stations are meant for the big boys – maybe somebody forgot to tell that bubble theory to the NED Synclavier folks ... And lets not forget Digidesign also started as a ‘David’ in this ‘Goliath’ saga a long time ago, and eventually survived. Never underestimate the underdog.

I know of AVID facilities, which decided to bring in FCP stations as either replacement for their AVIDs, or at least as additional suites. On the other hand, maybe some of you may have come across FCP studios that went out and got themselves AVID stations?

The ‘signs’ have been there for over a year, if you wanted to look at what some might call ‘silly’ things which don't mean anything:

1. Not a single Digidesign LE poster of Digi002, Digi002R & Mbox features a Mac. They all show Win XP machines (if any computer is shown at all).
2. Most (if not all) of the Digidesign printed & PDF manuals show Windows screen snapshots, not Mac OS.
3. “Control-click (Windows) or Command-click (Macintosh)” is the order preferred in the manuals & PDF files. If you were neutral, wouldn’t you at least put “M”acintosh before “W”indows just so it was in alphabetical order?

Petty observations aside, and more seriously for the high-end post studios wanting a total solution NOW.

There’s no Mac based solution for running ProTools with AVV10 on AVID Unity. The solution on Win XP has been around for months. So if you were a post house that couldn’t wait for this dragging of Mac support, or a new setup looking for an immediate solution with full AVID networking – you have NO CHOICE but to go Win XP. This is irregardless of which side is claiming they are not helping each other out with the 'machine codes'.

And that’s basically the bottom line. Those of you who are in the business, and you love ProTools (we all do), and Digidesign decided to drop Macintosh OS support tomorrow, or maybe just drag their feet a little on features you needed quickly, you’d have NO CHOICE but to switch to a WinXP platform, because it is the ProTools software that pays your bills, and not your undying love for your Macintosh.

So while there might be a bunch of ProTools Mac users who’d cry their eyes out on this forum, spew venom, decide to commit suicide by switching to another Mac-based harddisk recording system just because Digidesign stopped writing stuff for the Mac OS, the rest of us would probably grumble our way to a WinXP based ProTools system anyway, and get the IT department back in business

This is just to show that the simple logic of Digidesign ‘will never drop Mac support’ because there are a gazillion users out there, doesn’t hold water at all.

But off course, Digidesign ‘is committed’ to both the operating systems – and technically, that statement is correct. Even if it meant that only the mBox LE software was Mac compatible in future … But off course, I’m sure many ‘registered users’ (aka Digidesign employees), will call this false.

Anyway, there’s no reason for AVID to help the competitor sell any PowerMac machines (directly or indirectly), as I’m sure you too wouldn’t help the studio next door. Real World.

And before any flames, I’m a OSX person. So when the support is eventually dropped, I’ll probably spew venom on the forum, cry and take my red-eye to the PC shop
Old 02-19-2005, 10:48 PM

Quote:

Anyway, there’s no reason for AVID to help the competitor sell any PowerMac machines, as I’m sure you too wouldn’t help the studio next door. Real World.
True, but you have to look at the cost-benefit analysis of this move. Digidesign is not a direct competitor with Apple (yet). They would alienate so many users if they announced they were going to phase out Mac support. It wouldn't be worth it to them. So what if Apple sells a few less machines? A huge group of Mac users (particularly Mix and HD users) would be really mad about it.

Now if tomorrow Apple came out w/ a new hardware/software solution based on some of the best features of Logic along w/ the capabilities of Pro Tools, then who knows? That's a different scenario. But we're not there yet =)
Old 02-20-2005, 06:00 AM

what if they slowly make it more stable and feature rich on XP. seems to be the case now with the video stuff and supposedly 6.7 has less bugs on XP than OSX. then things would take care of themselves over time.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.