Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2009, 07:14 PM

Thumbs up Beta Testers. Another +ve public move.

Avid Audio beta program--Win 7 and Pro Tools beta testers wanted!

I've never seen AVID (Digi) do this before—but then again I am kinda new at the DUC.

Another positive step forward for Avid "reaching out" to it's users and making us feel we do exist AND can be involved in product development (IdeaScale was the first initiative).

Kudos AVID.

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 09-04-2009, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Beta Testers. Another +ve public move.

they have posted a few times in the last few years when they are looking for beta testers, so not new, but understand what you mean

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 09-04-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
they have posted a few times in the last few years when they are looking for beta testers, so not new, but understand what you mean
Should have known I'll go now

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 09-04-2009, 09:01 PM

I signed up for it.. I expect to get a 10 page 'knowledge test' back from them.. should be a hoot.

I have spare drives and know how to use Acronis..
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 09-04-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
I signed up for it.. I expect to get a 10 page 'knowledge test' back from them.. should be a hoot.

I have spare drives and know how to use Acronis..

Hopefully a lot will sign up, the more the merrier And hopefully all of the folks complaing about Digi not doing this or Digi not doing that or not doing it fast enough to suit will sign up and become part of the solution.

Yeah I filled out the form too.

I'm really hoping that we will have a 64 bit compatble version of PT and fast and stable new OS to possibly ring in the new year. Or some FW driver drivers that work with 64bit and more than 2 cores.

PT 8.X/64bit/i7 could be a winning combination

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-05-2009, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Hopefully a lot will sign up, the more the merrier And hopefully all of the folks complaing about Digi not doing this or Digi not doing that or not doing it fast enough to suit will sign up and become part of the solution.

Yeah I filled out the form too.

I'm really hoping that we will have a 64 bit compatble version of PT and fast and stable new OS to possibly ring in the new year. Or some FW driver drivers that work with 64bit and more than 2 cores.

PT 8.X/64bit/i7 could be a winning combination
I figure that I complained enough from 8 to 8.0.1 that I probably owe them something It'll be fun.

Hobo Shave!
Old 09-05-2009, 07:02 AM

Public betas for the most part are a waste of time and money, at best they make a few user feel involved. It takes more than even being a power user of a product to be a good beta tester. It requires being able to fully document your config. the exact steps leading up to what happened, then and most important a set of steps and hopefully a test case the will reproduce the problem. Developers can fix what they don't see happen. Places I've worked we picked public beta testers from people who submitting good usable bug reports. I rather Digi/Avid spend their time fixing the lists of bugs they already have.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbop View Post
Public betas for the most part are a waste of time and money, at best they make a few user feel involved. It takes more than even being a power user of a product to be a good beta tester. It requires being able to fully document your config. the exact steps leading up to what happened, then and most important a set of steps and hopefully a test case the will reproduce the problem. Developers can fix what they don't see happen. Places I've worked we picked public beta testers from people who submitting good usable bug reports. I rather Digi/Avid spend their time fixing the lists of bugs they already have.
yes, but a public beta gives you many testers all with different workflows and different needs and uses. and i am pretty sure everything else you listed about documenting and reproducing can be done quite easily.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 09-05-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
I figure that I complained enough from 8 to 8.0.1 that I probably owe them something It'll be fun.
I wasn't refering to you but the folks cant be bothered to research anything before they buy, join the DUC, wander in, make 15 very angry uneducated posts, completely misunderstand what 64bit will or will not bring in the short term. And then leave.

They way I see it is that any one that wants to move PT to the next step should be involved. I think getting PT running on 64bit windows is vital to its future and the first of several steps on the to a full 64bit application.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-06-2009, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I wasn't refering to you but the folks cant be bothered to research anything before they buy, join the DUC, wander in, make 15 very angry uneducated posts, completely misunderstand what 64bit will or will not bring in the short term. And then leave.

They way I see it is that any one that wants to move PT to the next step should be involved. I think getting PT running on 64bit windows is vital to its future and the first of several steps on the to a full 64bit application.
I didn't take any offence.. I try to not read too much in the way of emotion into this stuff.. although a few weeks ago I was rather bitey.. but that's a different issue.

That was a genuine statement. I do want to be involved. It's kind of like voting... if you are not goin to vote, then you have no right to complain about what they do with your tax money. But, that's just my $0.02

Peace!

Hobo Shave!