Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-18-2011, 01:09 PM

Default Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 & Pro Tools 9

So I got my Saffire Pro 24 in the mail yesterday. Sold my MBox2 Pro after I upgraded to PT9. I expected there to be some hiccups from reading about drivers, software, and general troubleshooting. This thing worked like a dream for the first 30 secs. My ext S/PDIF rack FX (Alesis Q20) lit up and my QS7 was coming through the lightpipe (there's still some clocking issues but I suspect those are QS7 problems)...

Then the Mix Control software [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] on me. The meters stopped moving, the GUI was froze up and no parameters wanted to change. PT was still rockin' and all the I/O was still good.

Went to Logic 9, everything's good...sweet. Back to PT...same crap, 30 secs. to 2 mins. of goodness then [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep].

Did all the recommended troubleshooting but 1 thing...because I couldn't. Finally today when all else had failed I went to Fry's (god I love living a mile from a Fry's) and got an eSATA ExpressCard for my hard drive(s). When they say this thing likes to have the FireWire bus all to its self, they mean it. Now this thing is singing like a bird.

Obviously YMMV, but I did a lot of searching and couldn't find anything specific to my system so I'm posting this for anybody who happens to pick one of these things up and runs into trouble.

redtuxedo.com
milkmoneyconsulting.com
mindexpansiontechnology.com
Old 03-18-2011, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 & Pro Tools 9

Saffire MixControl always freezes up on me with my Pro 40 whether I'm using PT9 or Logic Pro 9 unless . . . it is the only thing connected on firewire.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:40 PM

I have a Saffire Pro 24 DSP that I occasionally have some sample rate issues with. Restarting Pro Tools and correcting sample rate in MixControl usually resolves the "The current audio interface is not set to work at 48k" errors.

It's a picky FireWire device though. I had some issue with some cables, and not with others. Seems to have a problem with some longer cables. But when it works, it works great! Fantastic interface for the money.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:22 PM

I'm figuring out all the little quirks with this setup. I'm just thrilled that this combo is working solid right now. The possibilities are endless with this little thing. I'm definitely digging it.

redtuxedo.com
milkmoneyconsulting.com
Old 03-19-2011, 06:48 PM

I have the same problems with the sample rate issue... It seems that I have to quit protools and start it back up any time I close a session. This doesn't help if I'm' looking for a certain session. I never had this headache with my 003... shouldn't have sold it
Old 03-19-2011, 06:56 PM

Mix Control is finicky. One thing about the MBox2 Pro...it was solid! Worked no questions asked. I was actually looking for a 003R when I came across this thing.

redtuxedo.com
milkmoneyconsulting.com
Old 03-19-2011, 09:01 PM

MixControl + Pro Tools = a big pain in the ass.

It's too bad the RTAS MixControl plugin was not released on time... but there are betas for both Mac and Win. Allows you to make MixControl changes from within Pro Tools instead of having to restart the software.

Can be found here:

http://beta.focusrite.com/

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 02-09-2012, 02:38 AM

Hi!
First time poster here.

Been a PT LE 8.05 user with MBox 2 running very smoothly in my desktop 64-bit Win 7.

Have a laptop with 64-bit Win 7 too.

I'm recording my band live from Yamaha 01 -mixer through ADAT to Focusrite Saffire pro 24 dsp using Cubase Le 4 as a daw.

So far so good.

I decided to take a plunge and trial PT 10 with both of my machines figuring it would be easier to have both systems running the same daw.

Desktop installation was just a walk in the park, but laptop with Saffire 24 was as many have been complaining.

Got the sample rate issue all the time and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

I changed the latency to medium (256), installed the latest mix control 2.4.1 (still a beta, right?) and the rtas-plug in (beta). The situation improved somehow, but I still got the sample rate thing going on, but not right after launching PT.

I accidentally closed the Mix Control software (after setting the sample rate to 48kHz) and then launched PT and after that I haven't been getting the sample rate -error.

Hopefully things stay this way in the future too.

By the way, can someone point me a way to good turials for PT 10 (reading or videos)?

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2012, 08:27 AM

Arrow Re: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 & Pro Tools 9

Best thing about Focusrite is that LOOPBACK feature in the mixer that gives you virtual audio buses. This allows you to escape the matrix by running standalone programs side by side yet still sharing audio

But if MixControl doesn't work, try TotalMix. Its probably a be a more stable vmixer.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:32 PM

@marko_salo I'm on a Mac so I don't know if my troubleshooting will apply to you. I was getting the sample rate thing a lot at first. Once I got the Saffire by itself on the FW bus it started working right. I had to restart the whole system a few times at first, but it eventually worked itself. I also went into Audio Midi Setup and made my default I/O the Saffire and default rate 44.1 kHz.

redtuxedo.com
milkmoneyconsulting.com