Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-21-2008, 12:47 PM

Default Using HDMI cards with Pro Tools

Hi folks,

Like many of you i think, i'm actualy using the firewire/DV output to monitor the video when editing/mixing. But the quality is not so great, and at a time where HD is more and more present, i'm wondering if there's other solutions to use with Pro Tools, and possibly not via firewire but PCIe (i personaly have many slots free on the Mac Pro).

I found Black Magic Design Intensity card (PCIe) which seems perfect for my usage (connected to a HD monitor in HDMI), and quite affordable, but how will it behave with Pro Tools / OS X?

If you have experiences with such video devices with Pro Tools, please hang on.

Bye.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Using HDMI cards with Pro Tools

won't work, i assume. the issue is compatibility. as pro tools will handle many formats of quicktime movie, the black magic card runs on proprietary codecs, also... it would compete with the avid mojo so they won't honor it. If you peruse the forums, you'll see it's a hotly debated issue and a much called for feature... but digidesign is reluctant to support other video cards.

the only option for HD is to use Virtual VTR and a second mac running a card like the black magic, but it's an expensive option. Most people just run the mojo or canopus route, or of course use the second monitor as a video monitor.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:35 PM

you could use a DVI to composite adapter. There are a lot of people using that solution. VVTR works great and allows you to use most any video card. the catch is that it works best on a VVTR dedicated CPU. which is a costly option. A lot of people are hoping some incarnation of Aurora Video's FuseX will apear in a new branding or someone buys what is left of the closed company and bring them back
HerronSFX Instagram
Old 06-21-2008, 03:36 PM

In our second studio we run a dvi/hdmi cable stright from the second port on the macpro.
It gives up to 720p resolution just as if it where a second monitor. Cheap and easy.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:37 PM

In our second studio we run a dvi/hdmi cable straight from the second port on the macpro.
It gives up to 720p resolution just as if it where a second monitor. Cheap and easy.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
In our second studio we run a dvi/hdmi cable straight from the second port on the macpro.
This has also worked for me with resolutions of 1080p running 150 PT tracks with no negative affect on playback. Codec was DVCproHD. Going to try other codecs soon.
Anarchy Post
1811 Victory Blvd
Glendale, CA 91201
818-334-3300
www.anarchypost.net
Old 06-22-2008, 07:36 AM

Nothing is as cheap and easy as running a QuickTime movie through the second DVI port. If you can get DVCamHD QuickTimes (Mac only) made for you and if you don't need that second monitor for Pro Tools, QuickTime is very cost effective. If you need to feed video to a talent monitor also, you've either got to work with SD and a Canopus or you've got to spend some money.

Video Satellite should be mentioned. The software alone (on a dedicated PC) can do HD or SD through a DVI port right now, with resolutions up to uncompressed 10 bit (assuming you've got beefy storage), and imports many codecs. You can maintain aspect ratio and completely fill the screen (no grey bar across the top of stretched picture) With progressive material (720p/1080p) this looks very very good, with interlaced (1080i) you're still better off with dedicated hardware. Hardware input/output for HD will be supported soon, with realtime downres into SD hardware happening now. MOJO DX hardware, when supported, will provide that HDMI output you are looking for. Something like MOJO DX with Video Satellite will not impact your audio machine performance, will give your clients a top rate HD image, and simultaneously provide an SD composite feed out to your talent. There are still bugs with Videa Satellite but it is a contender now and it has a future.

One thing I'd forgotten is just how good SD video can look when the source is good! I am premixing a film now with HD footage, using my little NTSC monitor through MOJO. It looks very good.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:49 PM

Thanks to all for your inputs.

A dedicated machine for video is not an option at the moment, and if i had to use one, i'll certainly not get a Video Satellite or VVTR system, but a V-Cube, which is more widely used in Europe for film and tv. Mojo is not an option either, as i'm using other DAW than Pro Tools (Nuendo 4 in fact), and i don't want a "firewire" solution.

Maybe the DVI output is a nice alternative, but i can't definately get rid of my second monitor which i heavily use with Soundminer or when mixing large sessions. Do you know if i can add a second graphic card (say a GeForce 7300GT) to allow this? Does OS X.4/X.5 support more than dual-head operation?

Anyway, i know a BMD distributor near my place, and i'll try to borrow him an Infinity card to see if it could work like the old Aurora Fuse or Miro DC30 did (kind of QuickTime Interceptor). I'll let you know, until someone actually tested it already?

Maybe something like ChainGang on the same computer could work too, internaly synced via MIDI/MMC?

Bye.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
If you need to feed video to a talent monitor also, you've either got to work with SD and a Canopus or you've got to spend some money.
Not necessarily. I am designing my entire facility around HDMI devices, including client monitors and using HDMI DAs and switchers to route the signal.

For instance, my ADR stage has a Panasonic 1080p projector with HDMI, a 24" Flat screen 16x9 monitor with HDMI for the client and the same for the mixer. All running off of the second DVI output through an HDMI distribution amp.

Foley is similar without the projector. In fact all my rooms are DVI out converted to HDMI which is routed through out the building. Composite lines are run just for backup but will not have anything dedicated to them.

I have run extensive tests on various solutions to get to this point. A dedicated computer or other hardware is a waste of money as far as I am concerned. But what works for me, may not work for others. I think I am just philosophically against buying expensive video hardware to do what works well enough already for a sound facility. My video rooms will have Kona cards, but that is another kettle of fish.
Anarchy Post
1811 Victory Blvd
Glendale, CA 91201
818-334-3300
www.anarchypost.net
Old 06-22-2008, 04:21 PM

When I ordered my mac pro, I spec'ed 2 x ATI Radeon HD 2600 video cards. Has been running very well for 3 months now.
Running 2 x 20 inch mac monitors off one card, and a sony bravia HD 46 inch tv set off the other card via a DVI to HDMI cable.
The picture on the bravia is stunning. Good enough to use as a third computer monitor which is effectively what I'm doing.
Throw the quicktime movie supplied by the video editor up on this monitor and you get nice big clean pictures. Just get the video editor to give you a full res copy!

cheers,

John.