Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2008, 09:25 PM

Default Importing Reason into PTM-P to audio files

How do I import individual music tracks from Reason into PTM-P to use as audio files? I used to do it in Cubase and I know if that program will do it, this one will. But, how? Please advise.

ScorpioNC
Old 02-04-2008, 06:34 AM

Default Re: Importing Reason into PTM-P to audio files

Don't know if that comment helped you. I can give you full instructions if you still need them. I do this quite a lot.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:36 AM

Actually, this link will prove useful. If you're ok connecting your reason devices directly to the midi output, you'll have no problems.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct0...toolsnotes.htm
Old 02-04-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Don't know if that comment helped you. I can give you full instructions if you still need them. I do this quite a lot.
I would appreciate a step-by-step, please. I'm new to this (was to Cubase, really, too at the time) and don't have a clue what I'm supposed to be doing. I need from Add a New Track on... PLEASE. I should add that I'm using PT M-P 7.3. That's why all the stuff on the site you mentioned is confusing me a bit.
Thank you so much...
Scorp
Old 02-04-2008, 12:39 PM

Haha, OK gimme a minute. I'll write you a very-quick-but-useful-guide
Old 02-04-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Haha, OK gimme a minute. I'll write you a very-quick-but-useful-guide
THANK YOU!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 01:04 PM

1. Launch Pro Tools (this HAS to be done before Reason).

2. Create a stereo audio track and a stereo auxiliary input for EACH track you want to port into Pro Tools (a complete ball ache but it has to be done as you can't connect a rewire track directly to an audio track in PT). I generally do my mixing in reason and only want 1 rewired track in PT. But the plugins in PT are obviously much better than what you get in reason so I can understand why you want to do it track-by-track)

3. Maximise your mix window and for AUX 1 and insert a plugin of multi-channel plugin>Instrument>Reason (stereo). This will open the rewire plugin RTAS window and also launch Pro Tools.

4. In Reason, open the song you want to rewire into Pro Tools (notice that your Reason Hardware window right at the top says "Rewire Slave Mode")

5. Press TAB to flip your reason rack over and see how you just have two inputs into the hardwire panel? Well disconnect them from the mastering suite or mixer or whatever your last device is.

6. You now have to figure out if you're gonna do your mixing in Reason or in Pro Tools and what effects you're going to use in Reason if any. If you've already used automation on the mixer in Reason you're gonna have to do it all again in PT if you decide to bypass the mixer and connect all of your devices (NN-19, NN-XT, Thor etc) directly to the hardware device at the top of the reason rack. I've made this mistake before. I now do all my automation in PT if i'm going that way with the song.

7. Connect each of your devices' outputs to the hardware device. Bear in mind that even though you can have 64 mono outputs from Reason, Pro Tools MP only supports 32 (or 16 stereo - PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CORRECT THIS IF I'M MISTAKEN!). You can get around this a number or ways - post back if you want to know how.

8. Go back to Pro Tools and on the rewire RTAS window, select MIX L-MIX R (this is channels 1 and 2 from reason).

9. Now here's the fiddly bit. You have to set the Aux 1 output to BUS>1-2 and the INPUT of Audio 1 to Bus 1-2. Leave the output of this audio channel to be your audio interface.

10. Now do steps 8 and 9 for each of your channels. Add a reason RTAS plugin (or copy and paste the one from Aux 1) changing on the RTAS window's input from Mix L-Mix R to Channel 3-Channel 4 for Aux 2, Channel 5-Channel 6 for Aux 3 and so on and setting the Aux output to Bus 3-4, Bus 5-6 and so on. Then go to each Audio channel and select the bus input to match the bus output of each Aux track.

11. Record-arm each of your PT tracks and press record and play and watch your PC fall over and die!

Only kidding, but you may find that you have to record a couple of tracks at a time if your PC isn't up to this amount of processing power.

Good luck!
Old 02-04-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
1. Launch Pro Tools (this HAS to be done before Reason).

2. Create a stereo audio track and a stereo auxiliary input for EACH track you want to port into Pro Tools (a complete ball ache but it has to be done as you can't connect a rewire track directly to an audio track in PT). I generally do my mixing in reason and only want 1 rewired track in PT. But the plugins in PT are obviously much better than what you get in reason so I can understand why you want to do it track-by-track)

3. Maximise your mix window and for AUX 1 and insert a plugin of multi-channel plugin>Instrument>Reason (stereo). This will open the rewire plugin RTAS window and also launch Pro Tools.

4. In Reason, open the song you want to rewire into Pro Tools (notice that your Reason Hardware window right at the top says "Rewire Slave Mode")

5. Press TAB to flip your reason rack over and see how you just have two inputs into the hardwire panel? Well disconnect them from the mastering suite or mixer or whatever your last device is.

6. You now have to figure out if you're gonna do your mixing in Reason or in Pro Tools and what effects you're going to use in Reason if any. If you've already used automation on the mixer in Reason you're gonna have to do it all again in PT if you decide to bypass the mixer and connect all of your devices (NN-19, NN-XT, Thor etc) directly to the hardware device at the top of the reason rack. I've made this mistake before. I now do all my automation in PT if i'm going that way with the song.

7. Connect each of your devices' outputs to the hardware device. Bear in mind that even though you can have 64 mono outputs from Reason, Pro Tools MP only supports 32 (or 16 stereo - PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CORRECT THIS IF I'M MISTAKEN!). You can get around this a number or ways - post back if you want to know how.

8. Go back to Pro Tools and on the rewire RTAS window, select MIX L-MIX R (this is channels 1 and 2 from reason).

9. Now here's the fiddly bit. You have to set the Aux 1 output to BUS>1-2 and the INPUT of Audio 1 to Bus 1-2. Leave the output of this audio channel to be your audio interface.

10. Now do steps 8 and 9 for each of your channels. Add a reason RTAS plugin (or copy and paste the one from Aux 1) changing on the RTAS window's input from Mix L-Mix R to Channel 3-Channel 4 for Aux 2, Channel 5-Channel 6 for Aux 3 and so on and setting the Aux output to Bus 3-4, Bus 5-6 and so on. Then go to each Audio channel and select the bus input to match the bus output of each Aux track.

11. Record-arm each of your PT tracks and press record and play and watch your PC fall over and die!

Only kidding, but you may find that you have to record a couple of tracks at a time if your PC isn't up to this amount of processing power.

Good luck!
I can't try right now, but a little later tonight I will. I'll let you know if I have any questions.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:42 PM

Ok... That got it to go down but I'm confused. How do I get it to stay there after I close Reason? In Cubase I just did an "Audio Mixdown" and it converted the midi into audio data and I could then close Reason and not bog down the system. So I figured I could get rid of the aux after recording it to tracks and close Reason. Well, there is nothing there when I do that.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:54 PM

you must enable input only monitoring under the track sub menu. Then it will record no problem. All other steps are spot on. It should appear as audio after a pass.