Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-07-2009, 01:04 PM

Default TL Space

I made the plunge and downloaded TL Space along with the Impulse Libraries and Acousticas Impulse Response package. I got to spend a few hours working with it yesterday and I must say I am very pleased with what I am hearing. To my ear I was hearing some of the most beautiful reverbs I have ever heard. I am not saying that all reverb needs to be beautiful. The Acousticas Impulses are exceptional. What an amazing technology! Here's to the microchip, the developers of convolutional reverb, and the folks out there gathering the impulses.

Being happy with the plugins doesn't mean that I am not going to also end up with the outboard box(s).
Old 09-07-2009, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Plugin Reverbs vs Outboard Reverbs

FWIW...

I think one big thing is that reverbs are personal taste as well.

I've had a few hardware pieces in here... PCM96, Lex 200, bricasti, and an older Sony convolution reverb. Also have most of the plugs mentioned.

I like TL space or Altiverb with the right IRs, they're not quite as good as hardware overall. But I didn't dig the PCM96 at all... sold it after a month or two with it. just waiting for even one patch to get me excited when I patched it in. It always made me go, meh. OK that's a hall, a room, etc. but it never got me tweaked out the way the Sony, Lex 200 (for lo fi character), or Bricasti did.

In other words, I'd probably rather use plugs than a PCM 96 just out of convenience. I really didn't think it sounded much better than the plugins, if at all.

I would say listen to things before buying (unless you buy used and can flip it for the same price as you bought it).
Old 09-07-2009, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Plugin Reverbs vs Outboard Reverbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloocevad View Post
I'd probably rather use plugs than a PCM 96 just out of convenience.
The 96 shows up and operates as a plugin. Even saves edits with the session. It works this way even if the audio path isn't FW via control mode. It's one of the best things about the 96.