Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 06-27-2019, 05:32 PM

Default Venue Headroom Issues

Hello,

I am mixing a band with 38 inputs on a Venue/Profile system. 3 DSP cards. I seem to be running out of head room on the master bus to quickly. Hopefully someone can help shed some light on the issue. Any help is greatly appreciated. Below is my signal flow.

-Input gains set to average 0dB on the input meters, metering RMS

-All inputs are routed to the stereo bus which is at the unity, 0dB position with a Waves C6 inserted. C6 set to default "Pooch Master Bus" preset

-Stereo bus is then routed to matrices to distribute to the PA, typically L, R, Sub, and front fill.

-We are not carrying PA on the tour so I was using the master fader to control over all level but found the master bus meter was clipping even with the fader down around -10dB or so. Typically only pushing the PA to averaging 98-100dB SPL A weight

-As a solution I assigned all the inputs to a VCA for overall level control and left the master stereo bus at 0dB. This keeps the master from clipping but now the master bus send to the matrix is close to and sometimes clipping.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:54 AM

Default Re: Venue Headroom Issues

The only thing I can think of is that there is a makeup gain issue on the C6. Are you using audio subgroups at all? Can they be too hot? From what you've described your gain staging seems to be proper.

Last edited by emluper; 09-25-2019 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:16 PM

Sound like your clipping the input of the Master. I noticed that it clips sooner than the output it self. Maybe something is going on in the groups.... ?As Empuler suggested

I noticed it a few times, most of the times there was plenty of headroom on the masterbus output. Just
driving the summing bus to loud. proper ( fader, gain and group) levels shout solve this, if this is the problem...
Old 09-24-2019, 03:41 PM
Avid

Well if you're summing 64-96 channels that are all hitting unity, and they're summing at unity, the master is going to be loud, unless they're really low correlation in any of the signal, or they're all in different frequency bands with little overlap. Basically, there are too many possibilities here, and too many open questions...

I think it's simply down to the mix itself.

[email protected]