Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 04-13-2016, 01:44 AM

Default Re: 12.5 is failing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanonbass View Post
Still trucking along with no errors.

What version did you end up on, (or on now I should say)?? Thanks,,, Mike
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |
Old 04-13-2016, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanonbass View Post
I went through and deleted a bunch of applications that were unaudio related. Some imaging software, hard drive tools etc.
This should be emphasized!

The computer I use for Protools is totally dedicated to Protools.
It seems unfair, especially if you can only afford one computer, but it's one of the best way to avoid issues.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockridge View Post
This should be emphasized!

The computer I use for Protools is totally dedicated to Protools.
It seems unfair, especially if you can only afford one computer, but it's one of the best way to avoid issues.
I vehemently disagree. I use my Mac Pro for video editing, music production, media management, and a number of other professional applications. Pro Tools is not even the only DAW I use even though it is the one I use most frequently for day to day operation. No other "professional" grade software is as finicky as Pro Tools in this regard. If software can't coexist on workstation hardware with other professional level applications, it has serious design flaws and isn't worthy of being considered a professional product.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaBrain View Post
I vehemently disagree. I use my Mac Pro for video editing, music production, media management, and a number of other professional applications. Pro Tools is not even the only DAW I use even though it is the one I use most frequently for day to day operation. No other "professional" grade software is as finicky as Pro Tools in this regard. If software can't coexist on workstation hardware with other professional level applications, it has serious design flaws and isn't worthy of being considered a professional product.
Exactly! Avid, for years now have been either very lazy/incapable/not willing to put resources into making the product work in modern environments even though there are a plethora of well known software techniques to fix many of the problems PT users seem to still face. As a general rule, it seems like it takes about 2 years (of end user beta testing) for a release to become stable enough for professional work => many use old versions of PT. While that is taking place a new generation of computers/OSes have already entered the market and Avid is late in supporting them (as an example, free Win 10 upgrades are expiring and Avid still does not support Win 10). My prediction is that recently released CC features will truly become usable in 2018 but you will have to use a Mac/PC that was build 2-3 years ago and you must only run PT on that rig preferably with no Internet connection because it may mess with PT
StudioOne + Cubase (+ Pro Tools for simpler old stuff)
Old 04-13-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
+1000

Couldn't agree more. My machine hosts FCP X, Premiere, Logic Pro X, Reaper, Studio One and Pro Tools. I use each one professionally for different reasons. All play together just fine, except Pro Tools.

As I said earlier in this thread, 12.5 is running ok on my system (as in, I'm not getting the errors detailed here), but Avid has to realize that in 2016, it's crazy to think that we should keep a single machine dedicated to Pro Tools, especially when projects can (and do) move between other programs.

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X

Last edited by grayter1; 04-13-2016 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
The problem is not what applications or programs are installed, the problem is which of them have processes running in the background all the time. Part of configuring your machine is to make sure all these extra processes are shut down from startup (much easier on PC than OSX) and checking the Services and making sure extra background tasks such as the updater for installed programs are disabled or set to manual. Its terribly common for programs to install and set background functions to auto start with the machine.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 04-13-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
The problem is not what applications or programs are installed, the problem is which of them have processes running in the background all the time. Part of configuring your machine is to make sure all these extra processes are shut down from startup (much easier on PC than OSX) and checking the Services and making sure extra background tasks such as the updater for installed programs are disabled or set to manual. Its terribly common for programs to install and set background functions to auto start with the machine.
Is that even possible on mac?
Old 04-13-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianosound View Post
What version did you end up on, (or on now I should say)?? Thanks,,, Mike
12.5. Im going to work on it more today. No crashes or -9173 on a mix i did yesterday. Not sure what app was causing the glitching but it appears to be totally gone now. I did not install my ssl bundle . I saw someone else had issues with it . Heck i really don't use it anyways that much now that i have VMR. But it seems to be running very solid thus far.

I will keep testing. I have a record to tweak mixes on today so im going to give it a another good run.

Last edited by stanonbass; 04-13-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:35 AM

I stand by my original statement. Why is it that Logic Pro X, Cubase, Nuendo, Studio One, and even Reaper are able make their software play nice with others? Pro Tools is supposed to be the market leader here. Avid charges a premium and doesn't hesitate to throw out the "industry standard" line in their marketing so they clearly have the same expectation. It's a cop out. In fact, didn't Avid advertise stability as a feature last fall in their PT webinar? Adobe users would throw a fit if Audition, Premiere, or any other creative cloud program came with such stipulations. How does a post house running DaVinci Resolve, Media Composer, or FCP alongside audio editing apps get by?

To be fair, many versions of Pro Tools have worked fine with other programs as well, and I believe Avid knows this is a requirement. There just seems to be a lack of attention to detail on some - especially the most recent 12.5 release.

For these reasons, I absolutely will not give Avid a pass for failing to live up to the standards set by the rest of the market as well as their own.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:37 AM

But if we're going to point to background processes, Avid's own Eucon is most often responsible for lockups here. Inexcusable.