Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2004, 08:13 AM

Default New Pro-Tools Controllers

I have it on good authority that Digi are about to announce 2 new controllers. The first slated for April I think, which is suggested to be a fullscale board, Pro-Control but more ssl. The other is I think an uprated version of the 02 style control surface, with 8 faders, transport, jog wheel, edit buttons etc....This is to be released about june.

Speaking of which Bheringer have announced two control surfaces the BCR2000 and BCF2000 which come in at about $200 to $250

Check this out http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAM...0-BCR2000.html

Jon T-W
Old 03-01-2004, 05:14 AM

Default Re: New Pro-Tools Controllers

and where did you heard about the TWO new controllers coming ?
Old 03-01-2004, 07:49 AM

It only makes sense that Digi's next move will be new control surfaces. After gaining full market domination as the recorder/editor of choice, it is now Digi's prime mission to bring PT to the same level of domination in the mixing arena, which is currently still heavily dominated by SSL. Whether one chooses to sum audio streams in the digital or analog domains, it is still much more convenient and musical to dial sounds and levels using a control surface that functionally resembles a conventional console, currently NOT available to PT users. Now that quality of Plug-Ins and DSP resources are no longer burning issues, and neither are signals routing and summing (one can choose either method), a "professional" control surface is the last missing piece in the puzzle.

I also hope it'll cost at least $70k-$100k, making it possible to newly established commercial studios to gain a bit of an advantage on the so called "project rooms" anyone can now put together for $20k.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:47 AM

You are not correct about the upcoming control surface. It is completely unrelated to the current product line. That's all I can say. don't let it effect your purchase of a control service.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:55 AM

Quote:
I also hope it'll cost at least $70k-$100k, making it possible to newly established commercial studios to gain a bit of an advantage on the so called "project rooms" anyone can now put together for $20k.

Although with the decline of the recording industry and rapidly shrinking budgets, I wonder if there will be people willing to book those rooms.

There's also a new generation of folks who've grown up with computers and are extremely comfortable mixing on screen. Hardware faders are very limiting. They only show you where the level is right now. Volume graphs show you where things are right now, where they've been, and where they're going. I'm completely used to mixing on screen now, and to me, going back to a large console (which I used to have) would seem like a big step backwards.

Lee Blaske
Old 03-01-2004, 09:19 AM

[QUOTE]

Although with the decline of the recording industry and rapidly shrinking budgets, I wonder if there will be people willing to book those rooms.

[end quote]

People WILL book those rooms, because those rooms will be rented for $800-$1500 per day, vs $1500-$3000 you pay for an SSL room today.

PT+controller is the way of the future, and it will revive the currently failing studio business.

[QUOTE]

I'm completely used to mixing on screen now, and to me, going back to a large console (which I used to have) would seem like a big step backwards.

[end quote]

Who said anytyhing about the size of the controller?! Since everything is assignable it can be a 8/16/24 frame, still small enough for anyone.

I'm starting to notice some similar patterns between this thread and some early HD threads: Most people who object the controller concept are people who won't be able to efford it, but also won't be able to efford NOT having it.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:16 AM

Quote:
People WILL book those rooms, because those rooms will be rented for $800-$1500 per day, vs $1500-$3000 you pay for an SSL room today.

PT+controller is the way of the future, and it will revive the currently failing studio business.

This new controller will put an end to P2P sharing?

Time will tell. It could be that Digidesign has built something truly unique and not just the same old same old. If it is just the same old same old (i.e. an SSL-like PT console), I wonder if it will catch on. For $70k (if that's what it would cost), I think there would need to be a sonic difference, not just a GUI difference.

Also, I really do wonder if there is a new, untapped group of clients lined up to pay $1500 a day for such a facility. To me, the industry really seems to be moving away from that. Sure, there are some people who want and need these rooms, but the project facility mentality has really taken over. Lots of people would fantasize about what they could add to their own personal project rooms for x number of days at $1500 a day.

Quote:
I'm starting to notice some similar patterns between this thread and some early HD threads: Most people who object the controller concept are people who won't be able to efford it
I really don't think this is a case of sour grapes. True, there are entrenched people who will never master the art of mixing on screen. OTOH, there's an up and coming throng of folks who are enormously skilled at mixing that way. They cut their teeth on that technology.

Lee Blaske
Old 03-01-2004, 11:59 AM

Quote:
tal herzberg, I also hope it'll cost at least $70k-$100k, making it possible to newly established commercial studios to gain a bit of an advantage on the so called "project rooms" anyone can now put together for $20k.
Just buying a Digi console isn't going to bring the so called "established commercial studios" more business because clients can get the same or better product from the so called " project room" studio for half the price. All the big studio's in my area are closing up and all the project studio's are soaking up the gear and the clients. It's all about the talent and not the equipment which is creating an even playing field for the future. Sink or Swim!!
Old 03-01-2004, 12:03 PM

We've been using PT for audio for video since d24. Although there are reasons for us to use a controller
surface, the main reason is so the clients can see the cool silver faders move! We have a Mackie 32-8 board
only used for monitoring. We'd love to find a board similar to procontrol with surround built in. Would we use it?
probably not that much as we all here are very used to the trackball and key commands.As the music composer here, I find myself using protools less and less and using logic native with xtra au plugins. Any controll I need
I get from the faders on my $200.00 m audio keyboard. I also went to NAMM this year and saw very little from digi ( except their purchase of BF..........BFD!) Maybe I'll see something at NAB or AES this year.As Digi toys with
their "market share", I hope they continue to support and help to develop trends.... and not fall like the mighty
NED. In 1993 we all thought they were invincible too! This is becoming an increasingly tough market,and a
$70,000 mixing board will cost the likes of DIGI much more!
Old 03-01-2004, 01:51 PM

While I can totally understand mixing music on the screen, I can't imagine mixing a film w/o an interface. With film you are constantly looking at the movie screen not the faders or the computer monitor. This is not to say that I don't use it at all, It makes for a great track-sheet and I do cut while mixing only when I becomes necessary. Lets face it, the PC is great for the money when you consider what a film mixing console costs but a lot is lacking. In my opinion however, a lot of the "issues" are software based and not related to the Pro-control. A quit hit list:

Pro-Control Issues:

1. PC does not have touch sensitive knobs for automating pans and plugins. (yes I know you can fader flip but thats a drag too.)

2. The faders on the console are weak. We break at LEAST 1 a month and go through a joystick once a project.

3. You might as well have left the audio I/O off the console as it is useless. The surround functions in particular.

4. Really need to have the lights on the console to tell you when you are back to the null point when automating.

5. It would be really cool if you could assign tracks to groups ON THE CHANNEL STRIP.

6. Also if you had a little more control over exactly how the Bank feature worked that would be cool too.

PT Issues:

1. Can't group pans, and even if you could It take too many steps to create a group that you might use once. (Yes I realize that I can just copy the automation but thats a LOT of steps and I want to hear it as I make the move.)

2. Can't automate buss assignments or output assignments.

3. We need a WAY bigger automation buffer. It is ANNOYING when you make a long pass that the system says that you have overloaded the automation buffer and have to start over.

4. I know that music guys does need transport controls anymore but us film guys wanna rewind and see the pic at the same time so we know where to stop. QT only rewinds in shuttle. W/ AV|XL the rewind speed is so slow.

5. I haven't seen the new machine control software yet but PLEASE tell me it works better now.

-brad