Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-20-2018, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Put in a bunch of hours last night on a session and now it won't open!

I have mine set up to back up every two minutes and yes, I have had to resort to using that way more than once!

Man, I am a happy camper now!

Crucial MX300 525GB SATA 2.5 inch
SATA III SSD

1 TB spinner drive 7200 RPM
Old 03-20-2018, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Put in a bunch of hours last night on a session and now it won't open!

Iloks supposed to have problems with USB 3.0 sometimes also so watch out for that
Old 03-20-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
Iloks supposed to have problems with USB 3.0 sometimes also so watch out for that
Yep and the usual remedy is to use a powered hub between the computer & iLok.

QAPLA!
Old 03-21-2018, 03:32 AM

I used to have tons of problems with iLok when I was doing my first projects on my laptop but after moving everything over to this desktop computer it worked a lot better but I still have an iLok II and maybe that isn't getting along 100% with my USB ports.....Hmmmmm. ......

Anyways, luckily it's all working properly again even though it's inconclusive what was my main problem yesterday. Maybe something was running in the background at that time that I wasn't aware of.

Thankful for a happy conclusion!

I got to burn off a couple of copies onto CDs last night and re-tweaked the final mix. It sounds great!

SATA III SSD

Old 03-21-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burstbucker View Post
I used to have tons of problems with iLok when I was doing my first projects on my laptop but after moving everything over to this desktop computer it worked a lot better but I still have an iLok II and maybe that isn't getting along 100% with my USB ports.....Hmmmmm. ......

Anyways, luckily it's all working properly again even though it's inconclusive what was my main problem yesterday. Maybe something was running in the background at that time that I wasn't aware of.

Thankful for a happy conclusion!

I got to burn off a couple of copies onto CDs last night and re-tweaked the final mix. It sounds great!
Congratulations on getting back up to speed.
I'm sure you've done this but have you turned off power savings measures to all USB ports? For that matter - do you have USB2 or USB3 ports?

QAPLA!
Old 03-21-2018, 06:45 AM

To be honest, I didn't even know that there was such a thing as power savings measures for USB ports, I could see that as something that you might want on a laptop but this is a desktop computer. I would assume that those ports would be powered all of the time.

For that matter, the iLok was lit when it was plugged in, so it must have been getting power.

My iLok is an iLok II

My computer is probably less than three years old so I'm thinking that it might have 3.0 USB but I don't know for sure.

There must be a way to find out. Maybe in My Computer?

SATA III SSD

Old 03-21-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burstbucker View Post
To be honest, I didn't even know that there was such a thing as power savings measures for USB ports, I could see that as something that you might want on a laptop but this is a desktop computer. I would assume that those ports would be powered all of the time.

For that matter, the iLok was lit when it was plugged in, so it must have been getting power.

My iLok is an iLok II

My computer is probably less than three years old so I'm thinking that it might have 3.0 USB but I don't know for sure.

There must be a way to find out. Maybe in My Computer?
You should be able to tell by looking at the ports if they're USB 2 or 3. While plug compatible the USB3 ports have a different shape. Here is a Google search that shows a couple of different ways of finding out if you have USB2 or 3 ports besides just looking at them. https://www.google.com/search?q=usb3&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

As to power savings measures they are turned on by default on Windows and it doesn't matter whether the computer is a laptop or desktop. This is one of those basic optimization steps done to a computer for working inside PT. My guess is you have done any of the optimizations usually done to a computer for audio work. Here's a link to the Avid site for optimizations for a whole host of operating systems: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oting/en367983

QAPLA!
Old 03-21-2018, 07:24 AM

Ok musicman961

I will have another look at those USB ports and also my settings.

Thanks a bunch!

SATA III SSD