Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 03-20-2018, 02:52 AM

Default Connecting a 16 channel mixer to my Audient gear

I have one of these

https://www.soundcraft.com/en/products/spirit-fx-16

My setup now is an Audient ID22 and Audient ASP 880 connected to the ID22 over ADAT.

I have my drumkit permanently miced up into the ASP 880. To record I dont need to record through the mixer necessarily...

But from what I have read I could take the outputs of the mixer and use the insert points on the ASP880 so this seems straight forward enough.

What I would like to do is connect the mixer to all this in order to be able to mix in the box but also have the abilty to twiddle physical faders and knobs on the with tracks already recorded.

Basically giving me the best of both worlds.

What would be the best approach for this scenario?

Thanks!
Martin D15-M/Gibson SG Bass/ 1972 fender Musicmaster Bass/ 1972 Hayman Drums /Vox,Fender Amps/Roland F130R

Last edited by easyrider; 03-20-2018 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Connecting a 16 channel mixer to my Audient gear

Just one opinion(and please take it that way), but I think this setup would not only NOT be the best of both worlds, its more likely that it will take away from the digital world by over-complicating your workflow by introducing a whole raft of new problems with routing and latency. If you were talking about a vintage NEVE console that would bring a serious sonic signature, that's another story, but there's nothing on a console in that class that is going to improve your mixes(and this is from an old guy that learned his craft on analog consoles). A decent control surface would likely be a better way to go(maybe a used Dcommand or C24 is worth a look? On a tighter budget, the Presonus Faderport 8 or Faderport16?)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-21-2018, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Connecting a 16 channel mixer to my Audient gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Just one opinion(and please take it that way), but I think this setup would not only NOT be the best of both worlds, its more likely that it will take away from the digital world by over-complicating your workflow by introducing a whole raft of new problems with routing and latency. If you were talking about a vintage NEVE console that would bring a serious sonic signature, that's another story, but there's nothing on a console in that class that is going to improve your mixes(and this is from an old guy that learned his craft on analog consoles). A decent control surface would likely be a better way to go(maybe a used Dcommand or C24 is worth a look? On a tighter budget, the Presonus Faderport 8 or Faderport16?)
Good point...I understand totally where you are coming from...I guess I was just trying to find a use for it...I do miss a real knob though...

The faderport looks good I just wish it had a pan know on every channel.
Martin D15-M/Gibson SG Bass/ 1972 fender Musicmaster Bass/ 1972 Hayman Drums /Vox,Fender Amps/Roland F130R