Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 03-19-2018, 11:34 AM

Default Dual DVI Video Card Suggestion

Currently running a MacPro 4,1 machine using a Dual DVI video card, but need to upgrade to a 5,1 MacPro. The 5,1 MacPro machines appear to come with a ATI Radeon HD 5770 Video Card, offering One Dual-Link DVI, one DisplayPort, one HDMI.

Do you know of a Dual-DVI card that will work in a 5,1 MacPro? Are there sources to check for compatibilities of this kind?

Ideally, we'd just move the dual DVI card presently in our current 4,1 MacPro to the newer 5,1 MacPro. The wish to maintain the dual-DVI connectivity is to continue to use the current Gefen fiberoptic dual monitor extension, and that's based upon DVI connectivity to the MacPro. Upgrading to a 5,1 MacPro is driven by a desired to run PT 2018 HDX with OS Sierra.

Many thanks,

John Caldwell
Old 03-19-2018, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Dual DVI Video Card Suggestion

Why not just use an adapter with the video card that it comes with? I use the HD 5770 with 3 monitors and it works perfectly fine. Just get the active mini-dvi adapters.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 03-19-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Young View Post
Why not just use an adapter with the video card that it comes with? I use the HD 5770 with 3 monitors and it works perfectly fine. Just get the active mini-dvi adapters.
Thank you, Ryan. Since getting the Gefen fiberoptic extenders to work properly with the current MacPro's Dual-DVI card and dual monitors was some effort, I was hesitant to introduce a new variable with the addition of an adapter. Are you suggesting I connect the HD 5770 to the Gefen DVI Fiberoptic extenders by inserting a "mini-DVI adapter?" Forgive my ignorance, the mini adapter connects to the 5770's Display Port output, or to the HDMI output, please? This adapter creates a new DVI output, correct?

You mention your 3-monitor system. How long are your cable runs, do you use a fiberoptic video extenders, and at was screen resolution do you operate, if I may?

Thank you for your kind assistance.

John Caldwell
Old 03-20-2018, 12:24 PM

Sorry for the delay and sorry for a couple of errors I made. My fingers went faster than my brain. I meant to say Mini-DisplayPort adapters. Here's the setup I have. Although I don't go through extenders, I think it should theoretically still work.

HD 5770 has 3 outputs:
• DVI
•*Mini-DisplayPort
•*Mini-DisplayPort

I have active Mini-DisplayPort adapters for both HDMI and DVI, I happen to use the HDMI ones to go through an HDMI matrix if needed.

Two adapters go into each of the Mini-DisplayPort connections and a DVI-HDMI cable goes from the DVI connector. Each monitor is 1920x1200.

My runs are about 10' long, so nothing too crazy. I got the active adapters for relatively cheap on Amazon.com. I think it might be worth a try.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 03-20-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Young View Post
Sorry for the delay and sorry for a couple of errors I made. My fingers went faster than my brain. I meant to say Mini-DisplayPort adapters. Here's the setup I have. Although I don't go through extenders, I think it should theoretically still work.

HD 5770 has 3 outputs:
• DVI
•*Mini-DisplayPort
•*Mini-DisplayPort

I have active Mini-DisplayPort adapters for both HDMI and DVI, I happen to use the HDMI ones to go through an HDMI matrix if needed.

Two adapters go into each of the Mini-DisplayPort connections and a DVI-HDMI cable goes from the DVI connector. Each monitor is 1920x1200.

My runs are about 10' long, so nothing too crazy. I got the active adapters for relatively cheap on Amazon.com. I think it might be worth a try.

Thank you, Ryan. At your urging, I'm attempting now to get the Gefen DVI extenders to work with a Mini Display-to-DVI adapter. Should that work, a 5,1 MacPro hosting the 5700 video card might replace the current (older 4,1 MacPro) more easily. If I get an answer, I'll report my results here. Thanks for your assistance.

John-
Old 03-20-2018, 06:07 PM

No good on getting the Gefen DVI extenders to work with a MiniDisplay-to-DVI adapter thus far. Gefen couldn't say if there is any means of making the extender with with a MiniDisplay or HDMI video card output.

Does anyone have any idea how to predict if a video card used by most of the 4,1 MacPro machines, an NVIDIA GeFore GT 640, will operate in a 5,1 MacPro? I'm unaware of compatibility tables detailing such things.

Thanks,

John Caldwell
Old 03-20-2018, 08:43 PM

Gefen DVI extenders...?

How Far for the cable? (20' with good cable b4 line boosting).
hd5760 single power
2 displays with adaptors
however 3 displays will require one of the mDP to be powered (usb) (in second post)
Old 03-21-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mount Royal View Post
No good on getting the Gefen DVI extenders to work with a MiniDisplay-to-DVI adapter thus far. Gefen couldn't say if there is any means of making the extender with with a MiniDisplay or HDMI video card output.

Does anyone have any idea how to predict if a video card used by most of the 4,1 MacPro machines, an NVIDIA GeFore GT 640, will operate in a 5,1 MacPro? I'm unaware of compatibility tables detailing such things.

Thanks,

John Caldwell
Excuse me for asking but can I ask if the adapters specifically say that they're active? Like this one?

Additional Systems

Old 03-22-2018, 09:23 AM

No intention of stepping in on Ryans post.
But to add

I use the ATI 5770 with these adapters:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Certified by ATI, they push 3 independent monitors.

One could always use this for DVI
Old 03-30-2018, 08:32 AM

Sorry to be offline.

The OP concern what video card to use in a 5,1 MacPro to allow me to continue to use the Gefen DVI Extenders that I'v been using with a 4,1 MacPro. This is the extender, an active fiberoptic system, and it allows my monitors to be about 65 feet from the CPU, with excellent video fidelity at 1920 res.

http://www.gefen.com/product/dvi-fm-...us-EXT-DVI-FMP

The card that I've been running in the 4,1 MacPro is a single-space dual DVI card, the NVIDIA GeForce GT640.

http://www.macvidcards.com/store/p36...B_or_4_GB.html

I have since learned that this card will operate in a 3,1 4,1 or 5,1 Mac Pro, so this is answers my original question.

There are other dual DVI cards that will run in the MacPro machines, like the NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-Quad...8d89%7Ciid%3A1

On the subject of adapting a Mini Display Port, the connector that is standard to the video card found in a 5,1 MacPro such at the ATI 5770, to DVI, one needs an adapter like the adapter TVPost-Sound has linked above. It should be noted that such an adapter is not-active in and of itself, and conveys power to the DVI end of the adapter only if the display port is powered. The alternate adapter is one that incorporates a USB fly cable, the purpose of which is the borrow a power source from the USB buss:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-.../dp/B004I6L6DW

I've not been able to get the Gefen DVI extenders to work with any combination of display port to DVI adapter, active or not, and Gefen is not surprised. They describe the adapters' need for a particular type of "handshake" between the driving signal and that adapter, and without such a handshake, the system falls over.

The good news is that sticking with the older dual-DVI video card, the NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 found in 4,1 MacPro machines, is likely to work in the 5,1 MacPro. I should have the parts necessary to do the test shortly and will share what I learn.

None of this video extension stuff would be needed if my CPU was not remote to the video monitors. Does anyone else care to chime in on how they manage long runs between CPU and their screens?

Thanks to all,

John Caldwell