Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 03-19-2018, 01:14 AM

Default New to hardware and I am stuck.

Hey
I have used Pro Tools for nearly 20 years but this is the first time I have ever tried to connect and use hardware, yes embarrassing I know.
This no doubt is a really stupid question but for the life of me I cant work it out, I bought a TB-03 and I wanted to use it as midi in pro tools so I could program it in pro tools rather than via the unit.
Long story short to use the TB-03 I had to upgrade my OS to High Sierra, my Pro Tools to 2018.1.0 & my RME UCX software which was a nightmare in itself and now I am struggling to get the TB-03 to work in Pro Tools.

Anyway I went to the Roland site downloaded the driver for it and now I’m baffled.

So in the installation read me thingy it says:
In system sound preferences to select TB-03 for:
Play effects through, sound output & sound input which seems odd to me.

Then in Audio Midi Setup which has the TB-03 showing it says to add a second device called TB-03 and connect the arrows from the first TB-03 to the created one.
I ran the test check and the test tones are coming from the TB-03 unit speaker not through my audio interface.

I should mention that I am not using the midi connections on the unit, I am using the USB connection.

After doing that it says to select TB-03 in the audio driver setting of your software as well as selecting TB-03 in the midi driver setting of your software.

So then I open a session create a midi track I have the input set to “all” and the output set to "TB-03” I can see that the notes are playing in Pro tools because the meters jump but no sound and nothing going to the master bus.

In Peripherals under Machine control (master) the TB-03 is enabled.

In Audio Midi Set Up on my computer under Pro tools Aggregate I/O the microphone, output, RME and TB-03 are ticked in the "use” column.

Does anyone here know what I am doing wrong? do I need to change things in my Pro Tools I/O menu?

I would really appreciate any help anyone could offer.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:29 PM

Default Re: New to hardware and I am stuck.

In Pro Tools; Setup>Midi>Midi Studio menu. Until the midi controller is setup there, its not going to work(at least this is true on a PC setup)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-20-2018, 04:31 PM

Default Re: New to hardware and I am stuck.

Thanks heaps for the reply I have checked everything and I still cant work it out. I followed the install instructions to the T and still nothing.
I now feel the same pain my mates felt when trying to get these things to work, and now I know why most of them sold off all their hardware.
I am going to go to a audio store and pay someone to sort it out and if they cant I am going to sell the thing and get software instead.