Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2018, 06:11 AM

Default Re: Hell has frozen over....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Great comment though - "Nobody cares how it's done!"
I would think the average person doesn't care (know) about how a song is made. For those of us interested in recording, it is still interesting to know the details of how a song was recorded. Back when I used to subscribe to "Mix" Magazine, my favorite section was "classic tracks". They would pick a well-known song and interview the engineer on the session about the methods and techniques used. I think the section usually ran 3 or 4 pages in the magazine so they could go in depth about the tape machine, microphones used, etc.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
I would think the average person doesn't care (know) about how a song is made. For those of us interested in recording, it is still interesting to know the details of how a song was recorded. Back when I used to subscribe to "Mix" Magazine, my favorite section was "classic tracks". They would pick a well-known song and interview the engineer on the session about the methods and techniques used. I think the section usually ran 3 or 4 pages in the magazine so they could go in depth about the tape machine, microphones used, etc.
I agree. I subscribed as well, and can definitely relate.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I would think the average person doesn't care (know) about how a song is made. For those of us interested in recording, it is still interesting to know the details of how a song was recorded.
Yes, of course but he said that in reference to always mixing "the hard way" with no automation which is pretty ridiculous if it's taking you ten times longer to mix. We all (hopefully) know the value of his analog gear and I doubt he ditches that altogether.

Quote:
Back when I used to subscribe to "Mix" Magazine, my favorite section was "classic tracks". They would pick a well-known song and interview the engineer on the session about the methods and techniques used. I think the section usually ran 3 or 4 pages in the magazine so they could go in depth about the tape machine, microphones used, etc.
Yeah, I used to subscribe to Mix and loved those articles! I'm a Beatles fanatic and love to read anything on how they recorded.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 03-16-2018, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Can’t wait to see the look on his face when he gets his first 9173 error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
or 6101

Or maybe he'll just appreciate that using Pro Tools saves him so much time that he's gonna be able to focus on his artistic creativity even more from now on.

And I wouldn't call that "the hard way", simply the outdated way, or the narrow-minded way, or the incredibly-stubborn-and-pointless way. Times have changed, there's no need to cut tape anymore, yay! Why would that make the work less valuable?
Old 03-16-2018, 06:06 AM

"Yeah, I used to subscribe to Mix and loved those articles! I'm a Beatles fanatic and love to read anything on how they recorded."

I grew up a Beatles fan! I still have all of the original Capital and Apple Records vinyl albums from when they first came out, plus a few other albums like the Star Club in Hamburg, The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl, Beatles Rarities, and the first VJ album that predates Meet the Beatles. I don't think the VJ album I have is the real thing, as I bought it in the 1970's. And I have the Box Set of all of the Beatles CDs that came in the black wooden roll-top box.

I haven't bothered to get some of the more recent re-releases, but a friend of mine did buy me the Let it Be Naked CD when it came out. I do like the Beatles Anthology CDs and DVDs. I just learned a few days ago that they came out with the Sgt. Peppers 50th anniversary release last fall. That one may be worth getting.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:47 PM

Welcome to the 21st century Jack.

I'm sure your music will sound exactly the same.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 03-16-2018, 06:21 PM

"Ball and a Biscuit"- still think is the best thing Jack has done. I don't honestly think any thing I've heard from him would sound um, not as good(?) if it had been recorded digitally in the first place. Unlike some, I'm still liking the sound of what real tape can do to some things, but I never really thought of his stuff as something that would "benefit" from tape, IMHO
Old 03-17-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV626 View Post
And I wouldn't call that "the hard way", simply the outdated way, or the narrow-minded way, or the incredibly-stubborn-and-pointless way.
Yes, and those skills are still valuable, especially for live mixing. But even with analog consoles and tape machines you have mix automation.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 03-17-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
"Yeah, I used to subscribe to Mix and loved those articles! I'm a Beatles fanatic and love to read anything on how they recorded."

I grew up a Beatles fan! I still have all of the original Capital and Apple Records vinyl albums from when they first came out, plus a few other albums like the Star Club in Hamburg, The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl, Beatles Rarities, and the first VJ album that predates Meet the Beatles. I don't think the VJ album I have is the real thing, as I bought it in the 1970's. And I have the Box Set of all of the Beatles CDs that came in the black wooden roll-top box.

I haven't bothered to get some of the more recent re-releases, but a friend of mine did buy me the Let it Be Naked CD when it came out. I do like the Beatles Anthology CDs and DVDs. I just learned a few days ago that they came out with the Sgt. Peppers 50th anniversary release last fall. That one may be worth getting.
You should definitely check out: Recording The Beatles

It's $100 with a new edition coming, but it's worth it!

My studio is (almost) wall to wall Beatles (with a little Yes & Genesis!). I used to have a rather large collection of LP's, 45's and picture sleeves, but I sold it all for audio gear and guitars!

I wasn't that impressed with the remix of Sgt. Pepper, but the outtakes are great and the DVD is interesting.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM