Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 02-16-2018, 07:28 PM

Default New to Eleven Rack--interface not detected?

Hey everyone!

I'm new and proud owner of an eleven rack. I got it for recording some guitar input and writing in the evening hours so I don't have to amp up.

I opened it up, installed the drivers and have been working with the Eleven Rack editor and so far so good...until I tried to record. I looked at the OSX System Preferences -> Avid Eleven Rack and it says "device not connected" even though I'm clearly able to edit via the Eleven Rack computer editor. Does anyone have experience with this and what am I doing wrong? I'm not new to audio interfaces or computers/tech, but I am new to the 11R so I'm not sure where to begin trouble shooting

I'm running Mac High Sierra 10.13.3 with the 11R direct via USB if that matters, and I tried both Logic Pro X and Pro Tools First but can't seem to figure it out. Please help and thanks!
Old 02-16-2018, 07:40 PM

Default Re: New to Eleven Rack--interface not detected?

Oh. I just read the other post (System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General). Thanks!

PS - Hello everyone
Old 03-22-2018, 10:58 AM

Welcome to DUC!

I’ve had mine for years and have always been frustrated as I couldn’t rely on getting a connection, even after rebooting the interface and Mac in different combinations ... to the point that I basically stopped using it.

However, I only recently came across a solution that had somehow evaded me here: if you switch on the interface and it doesn’t show as available on your Mac, with both switched on/booted, unplug and replug the USB on the Mac ... and hopefully it will become available again.

Hopefully, this will be useful if/when it happens to you :)

Enjoy!
Old 03-26-2018, 04:39 PM

Definitely know what you're referring to. I was always able to get it going with shutting the 11R off, rebooting the computer, then turning the 11R back on with the USB plugged in.

Weird how no one process is similar to anyone else's...but it is what it is. It's such a great sounding unit though. Still love it!
Old 04-03-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manubsingh View Post
Oh. I just read the other post (System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General). Thanks!

PS - Hello everyone
Hi--would you please point me to the post you're referencing--thanks! I have never ONCE gotten my eleven rack to work. The computer recognizes it, Pro Tools seems to recognize it, but PT will not allow me to assign it as an interface. There's a loud hiss coming from the unit that I can't eliminate. I've had this thing for years and have got NOT ONE SECOND of use out of it, with either of my computers. Every few months I haul it out and try to get it to work, to no avail. I've tried all the recommendations of the forum, and no luck. I've tried to see the trouble shooting videos on youtube and all they are all sales pitches, touting the unit's great features. I'm not a dumb guy, but this thing completely eludes me. I'm going to give it away or throw it in the trash. Never used.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro Retina 13 2.8 Gig core 7
El Capitan
PT 12
all drivers up to date

Macbook Pro Retina 15, 2 Gig core 7
Sierra
PT 12
all drivers up to date.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamfolk View Post
Hi--would you please point me to the post you're referencing--thanks! I have never ONCE gotten my eleven rack to work. The computer recognizes it, Pro Tools seems to recognize it, but PT will not allow me to assign it as an interface. There's a loud hiss coming from the unit that I can't eliminate. I've had this thing for years and have got NOT ONE SECOND of use out of it, with either of my computers. Every few months I haul it out and try to get it to work, to no avail. I've tried all the recommendations of the forum, and no luck. I've tried to see the trouble shooting videos on youtube and all they are all sales pitches, touting the unit's great features. I'm not a dumb guy, but this thing completely eludes me. I'm going to give it away or throw it in the trash. Never used.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro Retina 13 2.8 Gig core 7
El Capitan
PT 12
all drivers up to date

Macbook Pro Retina 15, 2 Gig core 7
Sierra
PT 12
all drivers up to date.
What do you mean Pro Tools won't allow you to assign the Eleven Rack as an interface? It's not available to choose as your hardware? And the drivers are installed?

Do you have multiple interfaces?

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-04-2018, 05:30 AM

Exactly, and thanks for replying.... I'm trying to use the 11R as an interface/playback engine. All the latest drivers are installed as of this morning. I'm only using one interface at a time. My computer (system report) tells me that the 11R is attached to the USP port, but PT will not give me the option of choosing it as a playback engine (only the Aggregate I/O and the built-ins). It seems that it's recognized in the setup-peripherals menu (under synchronization). When I try to use setup-hardware menu, the only option I get is the Aggregate I/O. When I launch the setup app, the only options I get are the builtins and the Aggregate I/O.

The setup-I/O mentions 11Rig, but importing settings seems to have no affect on the situation.

Any help would be so appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:53 AM

Yes--multiple interfaces, but never at the same time... I usually use the Mbox.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:33 AM

Things to try would be to trash Pro Tools prefs.

Try a different USB port.

Try a different USB cable.

Try uninstalling the driver and install a previous version.

Try holding down the 'N' key while launching Pro Tools.

Does the Eleven Rack editor operate correctly?

Are you plugged directly into the computer USB port or a hub?

Have you tried disconnecting ALL other peripherals, restart the computer, and try with only the Eleven Rack connected?

Have you done the optimizations for Pro Tools? Things like turning off Sleep, etc...

I'm more of a Windows guy, so I'll ask some of the other MOD's who use OSX if they have any further ideas. We have to get this going!

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-04-2018, 11:53 AM

Default New to Eleven Rack--interface not detected?

You need to start with *basic* troubleshooting and explain exactly what you are seeing.

Does the Eleven Rack work stand alone OK? With what monitors connected?

Does the Eleven Rack show up in Audio-MIDI settings? (That tells you much more that showing up in system profile, it actually tells you the driver is alive). Can you play other audio through it, like from iTunes? If so it’s a Pro Tools problem, if not it’s likely a driver/systems or hardware problem.

Does the preference panel for the Eleven Rack show up in OSx systems settings?

What exact driver version is installed... your idea of “latest” may not be correct.

If all that works and it’s not working in Pro Tools then trashing prefs, defaulting IO or starting with a new empty session, etc. may help.

You will get much better help here if you provide very clear information:

Telling us you have “done everything” tells us nothing useful about what you have actually done.

Telling us “the computer recognizes it” misses critical information... what exactly are you looking at to determine that?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-04-2018 at 12:04 PM.