Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2002, 05:54 AM

Default I need guidance, please

Hey folks,

I have received a project that was started on a Roland VS-880. The one that takes 250MB Zip disks. Is there ANY way at all to convert these files to ones usable by Pro Tools?

The extensions are .vs1 and .vr8

Is there any way to do this short of locating a VS-880? The person who tracked these sessions is no longer around and I have no way of getting hold of one of these machines.

Thanks very much,
Tony
[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2002, 06:12 AM

Default Re: I need guidance, please

I've got an old VS880ex that I still use for mobile recording, so I'll offer what I know...

First thing to confirm is that it really is VS880 data, and not VS840, because the 880 has an internal hard drive, and the 840 has a built in zip drive. (You say you've got the data on a zip). It is possible to connect an external zip drive to the 880 for back-up, but most 880 users back-up to CDR, so you should verify what you've got in your hands.

The VS840 and VS880, are similar, but still different machines. You can't play back 840 files on an 880 without going through a lengthy conversion process. That's why I say you should verify what you've been given.

Even if you do have 880 data on your zip, there is no easy way to convert this data for use in PTLE. Roland uses a proprietary data encoding method, "RDAC", and files are not stored in the traditional .WAV and .AIFF formats. To get the Roland data into PTLE, the most simple thing to do would be to get your hands on an 880 and record the audio into PTLE using the SPDIF i/o. Another option would be to import the track into a VS890, which is the newer model machine. The VS890 has the ability to export files in wave format, which could then be used in PT.

If you can't get your hands on a machine, I'd suggest you post a request here:

http://www.vsplanet.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

There's a lot of helpful people at the VSplanet BBS, and I'm sure there'd be someone there willing to do the conversion for you if you mailed out your zip disk to them.
Old 11-13-2002, 06:13 AM

Incidentally, I'd offer to help you out with a transfer, but I don't have a zip drive handy. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2002, 04:26 PM

Guitar Centers 30 day return policy.

Works everytime.

AND

It converts almost any format.

he.he.

D