Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2016, 11:48 AM

Default Help diagnosing OMF file duration problem from Premiere to PT 12

Hi,

running PT 12.4. Just took delivery of an OMF for a documentary feature I'm supposed to mix. Editor sadly sent me the kind of OMF with a separate audio files folder instead of encapsulated like I asked - now I'm stuck with an OMF session that opens up in pro tools and says it can't find any of the audio. I can manually relink all of the files which seems to be working BUT I'm worried because every single file is .001 shorter than the session's listed duration, which is why it can't autolink them. I'm not sure how to diagnose this - is it merely a transfer bug or is it an actual setting to do with some kind of pulldown that the editor got wrong? I know I can just ask for a new OMF delivery encapsulated, but I'd kind of like to be able to explain first. Do I even need to ask for a new one? is .001 duration difference a terminal problem, or should I just link it all up and go for it? Any way to know which end the files got shorted from? Bueller?
Old 04-05-2016, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Help diagnosing OMF file duration problem from Premiere to PT 12

While I cannot answer this directly, Premiere has had a difficult time creating OMFs and AAFs for Pro Tools for a while. About a year ago they got AAFs working more or less correctly, but if I recall they are not going to deal with fixing OMFs as they want to encourage people to use AAFs moving forward.

Not sure if you are just going to be working from what was supplied, or if you are going to be replacing the audio in the OMF with the original field recordings (i.e. Field recorder workflow). If it is the latter, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
If it is the former, and you have the handles needed to do proper editing, then I wouldn't worry too much about that either.

If neither apply, I would ask for an AAF.

Randall
Denver, CO
Old 04-05-2016, 01:31 PM

Yes, OMFs from Premiere are always awful.

In my experiences with your situation (non-embedded OMF from Premiere with a separate audio files folder), Pro Tools will never auto-relink, but if you select 'Manual relink', and check 'Match by file name' ONLY (deselect the options for match duration and clip ID or anything else that has a checkbox next to it) and point it to the audio files folder they will all relink just fine and there won't be any problems with the audio files.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:32 PM

Exporting audio from Premiere to Audition and then making an OMF in Audition seems to work better than exporting from Premiere directly.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:45 PM

Seems Premiere is not the best in Exporting OMF...
I received an OMF Last week [Not Embedded]; When I try to import it protools quits without warning...
So I imported them track by track...
It worked till the last four tracks...
Each time I try to import one of these tracks protools quits ...
So I asked for a Consolidated, Embedded OMF... I didn't receive one...
(I dunno if it's Premiere that doesn't do them, or if the Editor didn't want to help out... )
I received same omf of the last 4 tracks Which still quits PT10 and 12 HD Native by the way...
So Now I'm looking in the folder and syncing them by hand!
Love Life!! :)

Last edited by ViTheVault; 04-06-2016 at 12:46 PM. Reason: typo