Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-20-2019, 08:52 PM

Default Optimization - disable network adapters?

This is supposed to help alleviate some AAE errors. It says to right click the network adapter you wish to deactivate and choose disabled. How do I know which ones, to safely set to disabled?

Win 10 Pro
Pro Tools 2018.7
Custom PC
ASUS Sabertooth p67 mb
Quad i7
32 gb ram
Old 01-20-2019, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Optimization - disable network adapters?

How do we know what network adapters you have in your system?

Try disabling them all. If that does not improve things then there is nothing to worry about.

WiFi connections are usually more of an issue. Try disabling them first.

But if you are using Cloud projects or iLok Cloud licensing you need an Internet connection for those to work. NAS storage or control surfaces may need LAN connections... but experiment disabling all that if you are chasing problems.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:12 PM

Yes, I see what you mean. Well, I'm currently not having any problems but I had to restore my system so I am optimising Pro Tools right now and I came to that section. By all means if I can disable something that can save resources that I'm not using, I'm all for it. My ilok is software based, not on the cloud with that. However I do have some Waves plugins licenses that I believe are downloaded from the cloud to my system. When I make new purchases, I'm not sure if they are using one of these Networks. I also have a home camera security system and the base station is connected to my main fiber router come up there again not sure about what network. I guess I will have to try some things as you say. Thanks so much for your feedback and help. Andy
Old 01-22-2019, 01:06 PM

Setup a shortcut on the desktop to enable and disable the network connection. Easiest thing to do (and to remember) when jumping into a session.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:08 PM

That sounds like a great idea, how would I do that because I had multiple Networks and I was afraid to disable them because I was not clear on what they were enabling. I have a home security system as well as the usual home network with your printer and Wi-Fi. Can you explain a little bit more in detail? Thanks!
Old 01-22-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihate100bees View Post
That sounds like a great idea, how would I do that because I had multiple Networks and I was afraid to disable them because I was not clear on what they were enabling. I have a home security system as well as the usual home network with your printer and Wi-Fi. Can you explain a little bit more in detail? Thanks!

Rather than disabling your networks what I meant to say is disable your network adapter. So you’re basically disabling the ethernet port on your system and then re-enabling it once you shut down ProTools. Hopefully that makes sense. You can actually right click on the network adapter and it will give you an option to create a shortcut and then you can enable and disable it at will.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:06 PM

Wow! Yes, that sounds it would work very well! Thanks so much! Great idea!
Andy