Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 09-16-2013, 02:17 PM

Default S6 first thoughts

Don't hit me I've just looked at videos and the avid web page. I'm not at IBC this year.
I think I like some of what I see with the S6, but not all, at least not yet.

So comparing it to our old S5MC:

# Black buttons with white text and built in LEDs is not as "nice" and easy to see in the dark as fully illuminated buttons (like on the 408T), at least not a first glance.
# Display panels show great stuff but does not yet seem capable of showing EQ or dynamics curves. Yes scrolling clips and nice looking meters are good, but probably not as nice as to be able to see at a glance how the EQ is set.
# Hardware wise (looking at videos) it looks more like Artist units that have been heavily upgraded rather than the sturdy hi quality of the old S5 series.
# Of course I have to mention the price... It seems to be a little less than what we bought our S5MC system for. But it still seems to be lacking a few things. Although I wouldn't mind replacing the old MC unit, it feels a bit old today.
# Touch panel seems to be pretty wobbly, I hope there's some real support for it when mounted in a proper frame.

The good stuff:
# It looks like its quite fast and responsive. I haven't seen any laggy video yet when scrolling tracks etc. definitely seems to update the surface faster than the S5MC does when banking or selecting other channels.
# modularity is a great concept. I wouldn't have minded some extra flexibility on how to "get on the S6 train". Just buy eight faders, later add a display unit, then add a master unit. Add some knobs etc. That would be true modularity.

I'm sure there's a lot more good stuff in it, it's just that I'm limited to these first videos so far so I'm sure ill find more good stuff eventually.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 09-16-2013, 03:02 PM

Default Re: S6 first thoughts

Yes, there's some really nice ideas in the system but every time I view the one Youtube video it reminds me of someone working at the check out from McDonald's..... Don't know if it would be inspiring in music creation but on manufacturing flow like post it would save a lot time.

Quote:
# modularity is a great concept. I wouldn't have minded some extra flexibility on how to "get on the S6 train". Just buy eight faders, later add a display unit, then add a master unit. Add some knobs etc. That would be true modularity.
Yes, seems to be a no brainer but I guess some don't understand that concept? There's many who just want good quality fader packs with a main unit and not "Artist series" !!!!
Old 09-19-2013, 07:08 AM

Default Re: S6 first thoughts

personally I like the Icons better.
To me this comes across as a step down visually.
The pricing of the touch displays are WAY out of touch with what we as consumers know things like that cost.
Tens of thousands for a few large Ipads that over the long haul look like they could damage or be broken ( accidents happen)
I don't doubt that it is a step forward in functionality but to me considering it is basically the new icon it doesn't give me the HOLLY COW ITS FRIGGIN THE BEST THING EVER feeling. (even if it is)

Pro control , Control 24 , C/24 and the Icon all look like actual audio consoles. To me this does not, Maybe this is a good thing to some, it does seem more compact just like the new SSL Duality does. Yet to me it looks like more of a DAW controller and has lost some of the OLD SCHOOL ascetic mojo of a actual console. But since this is not a old school console and most people have never used a holy grail mega console thats probably for the best , I say thats my opinion and many will disagree.
I must admit my feelings on the Control 24 issue might have taken some glimmer off this product for me.

BUT IT IS SUPER COOL and if it was affordable Id want one to