Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2015, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Motu 16a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Thanks, that's helpful. It seems you're right about punching above it's weight. In the case of AVB we're talking about increased returns with increased channel count, not only monetary but also in terms of latency and scale. I'm definitely keeping my eye on this MOTU stuff. On-board DSP is always a plus, as well.
Just know this Motu stuff is a mess on Windows right now and Thunderbolt is Mac only and all they have said is that they are "looking into" Windows support for it and could not even give me an answer if they are "committed" to TB on Windows.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 06-17-2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amack View Post
ShiftStudios,

Here's a simple procedure to measure DAW system audio Round Trip Latency (RTL), DAW RTL compensation error, and audio interface Direct Monitoring Latency (DML) http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=368814. Although some (like guitardom and mesaone) may still disagree, I believe that propower, who apparently has a much better understanding of the issue, considers it to be effective (http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2267009&postcount=67).

Please let me know if you have any questions about the procedure or the posted results. I and likely many others would be interested in seeing your test results - especially in light of this post (which I no longer have “access” to) which suggests RTL latency compensation errors now occur with “HD native cards” (http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2269524&postcount=85).

Thanks!

Amack
Why do you keep bringing me up? Its not my fault you cant understand that track count does not affect latency among other ridiculous things you claim and some of us have to call you on it in order to keep you from telling people like its some sort of fact. You should be able to take hint of this by the way people keep stonewalling you in threads.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 06-18-2015, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Just know this Motu stuff is a mess on Windows right now and Thunderbolt is Mac only and all they have said is that they are "looking into" Windows support for it and could not even give me an answer if they are "committed" to TB on Windows.
That is correct, and I know that they are. To be fair to MOTU, not a lot of vendors yet support TB on Windows. And AVB will work on Windows with a network card that supports the IEEE spec (there are some cheap ones that work which do not officially state AVB support). There are options, but that is correct, any of these TB/AVB devices currently work best on Mac. :)

Almost a month on and I'm loving my 16a. I'm so happy with it I'm considering selling my Focusrite gear and getting and AVB switch and a a 24Ai. :)
Old 06-18-2015, 09:47 AM

Would someone please tell this poor guy that his AVID I/O devices are listed as "Not Officially Supported Audio Interfaces and Peripherals (Untested)" for both PT 11 and PT12 http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...nterfaces-and- and http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...nterfaces-and- ? I'd do it myself if I could!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftStudios View Post
That is correct, and I know that they are. To be fair to MOTU, not a lot of vendors yet support TB on Windows. And AVB will work on Windows with a network card that supports the IEEE spec (there are some cheap ones that work which do not officially state AVB support). There are options, but that is correct, any of these TB/AVB devices currently work best on Mac. :)

Almost a month on and I'm loving my 16a. I'm so happy with it I'm considering selling my Focusrite gear and getting and AVB switch and a a 24Ai. :)
Old 06-19-2015, 09:27 AM

Everytime I restart my computer and protools, I also have to select the audio playback engine(16A).
Is there a way to save my preferred engine so I don't have to do this every bootup?
Old 06-20-2015, 08:17 AM

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=185

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Why do you keep bringing me up? Its not my fault you cant understand that track count does not affect latency among other ridiculous things you claim and some of us have to call you on it in order to keep you from telling people like its some sort of fact. You should be able to take hint of this by the way people keep stonewalling you in threads.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amack View Post
This link makes no sense as per the discussion at hand. Even less so considering its HDX and the latency is handled by the DSP. Further more he is saying one of his cards failed the digi test which would imply a defect of the card causing problems he is having. So again, my point still stands and you are still wrong about this as I and others have told you.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 06-21-2015, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryrocks View Post
Everytime I restart my computer and protools, I also have to select the audio playback engine(16A).
Is there a way to save my preferred engine so I don't have to do this every bootup?
I would say this might be happening if you're not waiting long enough for your 16a to boot before opening PT. It takes about 30 seconds to boot up, so make sure the display has the sample rate and clock source showing before you open Pro Tools.

I can't say I have this problem unless I open pro tools without it on or connected.