Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-09-2009, 03:12 AM

Default New ADK i7 DAW...so far a disaster please help.

Just got a new DAW from ADK...so far nothing but trouble...

I can't seem to get pro tools 7.3 LE (the disk that came with my 003 rack) to work...it won't finish the install.....even though if I cancel the install after it sits for am hour or so there are files and icons etc...they just won't work...I also can't delete them....

some other things going on too...namely it won't boot without the recovery disk...below is s copy of request for support to ADK...I just don't want to wait for them to get back to me....after having a super lame laptop for a couple of years I was expecting the 2k system to just start up easy as pie.

Anyway this is what I emailed them:

I received my i7 quad a few days ago..so far it is totally lame.
It wouldn't start forever...until I realized it didn't have the OS installed.
It started after I found and installed the XP disk.....ONCE. now….. it goes to a screen that says."CD ROM boot Priority no medium"..then it stops and does nothing.
The only way I can start it is to use the ADK recovery disk and "find OS'. That is really lame. why you guys didn't just put the OS on it to begin with is beyond me.
Next, I can't install my pro tools 7.3 LE at all...well it just won't finish the install. I can install and reinstall on my old computer till the cows come home though. I am using the disk that came with my Digi 003.
I can't even uninstall or delete the digidesign folders that are there...not sure why they are there as they don't work...there is even a Protools LE icon....just doesn't work...the rack is connected and apparently it "working correctly".
Is this a service pack 2 vs 3 issue and if so maybe you guys should have asked me exactly what I was running.
I am sure you guys are thinking I am a dumb-ass who knows nothing about computers but that is why I paid you guys 2k...so I wouldn't have to know anything.
Oh, and the DVD drive is the noisiest thing I have heard..not sure if that is normal but it sounds terrible.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:30 AM

Default Re: New ADK i7 DAW...so far a disaster please help.

Once you, (and ADK) sort out why your computer isn't running properly, then you should try to install PT. Once that is done if you have issues then maybe some folks on here will help..

It sounds to me like you have a hosed system. Whether software or hardware related is unknown, and aside from maybe a lucky guess or three it is likely to remain that way with the info that you provided.

If it were me I would wipe the drives and re-install everthing from the ground up. If you still have the same issues it's likely hardware.

Good luck.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 08-09-2009, 03:53 AM

Well, if anyone understands the ""CD ROM boot Priority no medium" part then that might be a start.
I sure don't understand it.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdog View Post
Well, if anyone understands the ""CD ROM boot Priority no medium" part then that might be a start.
I sure don't understand it.
when you're starting the pc tap the F8 button frequently to bring you into the boot order screen. select your windows partition. it sounds like its trying to boot from cdrom drive.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:44 AM

I will try that...then it seems that one problem is solved....anybody know how to get a complete copy of 8.0 or a version that definitely runs with Service pack 3?
Old 08-09-2009, 05:41 AM

Default Getting better

The system now boots as normal...why ADK didn't tell me this or just go ahead and install the OS is totally beyond me.

so the problem now is the pro tools 7.3 disk will not install correctly and I can't even delete what is there...some, but not all.

Is there some place to get 8.0 in it's entirety for free without any hitches? I think that will solve this.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Getting better

Quote:
The system now boots as normal...why ADK didn't tell me this or just go ahead and install the OS is totally beyond me.

so the problem now is the pro tools 7.3 disk will not install correctly and I can't even delete what is there...some, but not all.

Is there some place to get 8.0 in it's entirety for free without any hitches? I think that will solve this.
Uhm... not legally.. (unless you win a contest or something).

You have to buy your copy or buy the upgrade. Once you have the license you can download as often as you wish. The full install files and the upgrade files are on and the same if memory serves.. but again, you need hte license for it.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 08-09-2009, 01:00 PM

Default Free...whatever..where?

I have ZERO problems with money...IF it works...but I can find nothing to help me..upgrade/shumpgrade!! if I can't load the first (7.3) I can't up grade crap-oola.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:57 PM

PT8 is a complete program that does not require any previous version. In fact, it includes a utility to uninstall any previous version before you install version 8.

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-09-2009, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Getting better

Quote:

I don't think Pro Tools is the problem, I think it's Windows. My guess is that when you installed Windows there was already an installation of it on the hard drive, that you didn't realize was there because the Boot Priority was fudup. I think you will need to either use that recovery disk or do a fresh Windows install and reformat the drive. Then you should be able to install Pro Tools.

Sorry for your bad luck. I know I would be P.O.'d