Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-28-2008, 10:53 AM

Default Problem with playback and recording

Hi all,

I recently purchased an mbox 2 mini with pro-tools 7.3 le. I've been getting by with all of the playback errors but what really annoys me is attempting to play any music or record into pro tools. It's like the play button has digital soda dried under it. I have to press play multiple times before it plays. Obviously this is no fun when recording because I can't start recording at the moment I'm ready (I have to tap f12 over and over until it finally starts recording). The most angering issue I have with this is trying to bounce audio to disk. I normally have to go through the setup process for bouncing my tracks at least 20 times before it finally works.

I have searched the board for this and haven't found anything. Maybe I'm not using the right keywords or else this is a freak occurrence. Has anyone else had trouble with a glitchy playback button or does anyone have suggestions on how to solve this problem? I appreciate any help. Thanks!

-Ryan
Old 03-28-2008, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Problem with playback and recording

Quote:
Has anyone else had trouble with a glitchy playback button or does anyone have suggestions on how to solve this problem?
Have you tried trashing the preferences and databases? Another thing to try is to delete the Pro Tools prefetch file.

READ THIS LINK

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-28-2008, 11:11 AM

Thanks so much for the quick reply.

I deleted the prefetch file and it didn't help any. Can you tell me how to trash my preferences and databases? Sorry I'm an extreme newbie at all of this. Thanks again
Old 03-28-2008, 11:19 AM

Sure. It's something that every Pro Tools user needs to know how to do (or at least write down somewhere) as it needs to be done on a fairly regular basis. The procedure is covered in the General Troubleshooting post, which should be the first stop for anyone troubleshooting:
Quote:
- Delete DAE and Pro Tools preference files
Start Menu > My Computer > Local Disk(C:) or correct hard drive (click "show the contents of this drive" if the files aren't displayed) > Program Files > Common Files > Digidesign > DAE > Right-click on the DAE Prefs folder and delete.
Start Menu > My Computer > Local Disk(C:) > Documents and Settings > "Your user folder" > Application Data > Right-click on the Digidesign folder and delete. (If the Application Data folder is not showing: Tools Menu > Folder Options > View Tab > Select "Show Hidden Files and Folders" > Click Apply and OK.)

- Delete the Digidesign Databases folders for all hard drives

This step can be useful when receiving random 'assertion' or 'neoaccess' errors, especially when recording or saving.

Start Menu > My Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Digidesign Databases > Right-click on the Digidesign Databases folder and delete. Repeat for all hard drives.
Start menu > My Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Program Files > Digidesign > Pro Tools > Databases > Right-click on the Volumes folder and delete.
Keep in mind that deleting preferences means just that; all of your Pro Tools preferences will be deleted and you will have to reset them.

Also, the recommendations that I gave you are by no means an absolute cure for the problem. I only mention them because they have helped some users (including myself) when this problem arises.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 03-28-2008, 11:42 AM

Nothing really helped but I appreciate your time. I should probably just keep searching on my own before asking for help because I obviously missed some pretty simple suggestions.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:55 AM

Hopefully this will make you feel better; this is a known, persistent issue for some users. Sometimes it can be alleviated by the methods mentioned, but many times nothing helps.

One of the symptoms of the issue is that the play and stop buttons flash at the same time when starting playback or record.

If you have consistent, reproducible problems with this issue, you can submit a bug report. You will need to provide as much information about the problem as possible, including complete and detailed specs of your machine (using SiSoft Sandra as recommended in the troubleshooting thread), and detailed steps to reproduce the error (every single menu selection, every single mouse click, etc etc). Most of the problems Digidesign has had with this issue are that it doesn't happen on a consistent basis and hasn't been reproducible all of the time. It's very sporadic.

Also, make sure to check the CS updates page and make sure you have the most up to date version. There was a fix for this problem in a cs release, but it only fixed the issue for some users.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:07 PM

try installing the dual core hotfix. this is what helped me.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:10 PM

Thank you to the two of you,

I will try the cs updates and the hotfix. If nothing helps I will submit a bug report.