Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-16-2014, 06:53 PM
groundcontrol's Avatar
groundcontrol groundcontrol is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 961
Default Re: The future of surround sound? Auro 3D

Dallas Buyers Club was done for like 3.5?
__________________
Can you please send yourself over fiber to go spam some other forum?

Darryl Ramm
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-16-2014, 08:38 PM
Henchman Henchman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Encino, CA
Posts: 866
Default Re: The future of surround sound? Auro 3D

Wow, this has foe. Down a fun road.

Anything. That will get people in theatre seats, is a big plus.
I don't care of its Auro, 3D, 4D or smellorama.
Keeping the film industry attractive by any and all means, is only a big plus for all of is.

I want to see guys like Marti keeping too busy, to take on the type of stuff I do.
It's all good.

Remember.
A rising tide lifts all boats.
__________________
www.markhensley.tv
IMDB Credit List

Living the dream.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-17-2014, 02:19 AM
Branko's Avatar
Branko Branko is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 580
Default Re: The future of surround sound? Auro 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnoil View Post
So, this is a very interesting conversation and it is not about the technical merits and sound achievements of this new sound technology, it is about the positioning of emerging technology -all kinds of technology- in a very competitive and ever changing market place.
Hmmm, it seems I missed the point then. I do not despise the financial aspect of technology by no means (I own a commercial studio), but the first thing I thought of, when I heard a mix done in Dolby Atmos immersive sound, were the creative possibilities of it.
Also, if there's any kind of "mission" in my work, it would be to keep cinema theatres alive. In order to achieve that goal, some things should be available in theatres only, to a focused audience, prepared to watch and listen. With all the due respect, I think there's no comparison between a theatrical exhibition and a user-controlled playback of the same movie.
__________________
------------------------
Branko Neskov c.a.s.
www.loudness-films.pt
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-17-2014, 04:23 AM
garnoil garnoil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,218
Default Re: The future of surround sound? Auro 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branko View Post
Hmmm, it seems I missed the point then. I do not despise the financial aspect of technology by no means (I own a commercial studio), but the first thing I thought of, when I heard a mix done in Dolby Atmos immersive sound, were the creative possibilities of it.
Also, if there's any kind of "mission" in my work, it would be to keep cinema theatres alive. In order to achieve that goal, some things should be available in theatres only, to a focused audience, prepared to watch and listen. With all the due respect, I think there's no comparison between a theatrical exhibition and a user-controlled playback of the same movie.

I agree with you 100%. Theatrical playback is one thing and consumer play back is a totally different thing. Theatrical play back may benefit form the auro 3d, but consumer play back not so much. As I said, I do not work on high budget Hollywood type films that have 4000 screens release in one weekend. I work (as many of others in this industry) on mostly lower budget indie films, tv, docs, multimedia, and e-sound that is designed for DVD/Blue Ray, VOD, youtube etc.

I have nothing against the advancement of technology to make sound better, I own the most expensive plugins available, so I invest in anything that makes my sound better and that makes sense for 'my' sound ost business. My comments referred to: is this new technology something that can 'trickle down' and become usable for less expensive productions? also can this technology become 'the norm' for the future of sound for films? I am not debating the 'merits of the technology' itself or how nice it sounds, I am discussing the possible implementation based on the market share that it may conquer. Is this new technology something that will become a 'temporary gimmick' and marketed as such - listen to the angels sing form the clouds while the devil roars from the depths of earth- and be put forth along with the new rumbling seats section of the theater?. If this is the case perfect, I love it, the bigger the industry gets the better for all of us but it may not be for me because I don't create sound for those films.

As an audiophile, I can appreciate the merits or shortcomings of sound production, but I am not the typical consumer of sound. Consider the 'success or failure' of 3d film. If 3d visuals are for the most part a passing fad, that failed to capture the consumer world, and can not financially sustain itself without the support of traditional 2d, will 3d sound follow the same fate? 3d visuals have been around for 1/2 a century and although there have been huge advances in the technology, it has never been received and accepted into the main stream as it was expected. One of the reason why 3d visual technology has not been very successful is that it changes the natural human experience through very cumbersome, and not user friendly technology. Not all people like or even can physically tolerate 3d, children the elderly, people with a visual impairment (like me), and people with physical or mental disabilities often can not adapt to this technology. On top of that, the 3d technology is extremely cumbersome for home use (it is really a flop), even Nintendo who spent dearly on their development of the 3d console pulled the plug on 3d. So if visual 3d has not become the norm and it is more of a 'amusement park' technology, what are the chances that 3d audio succeeds?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-17-2014, 08:51 AM
dr sound's Avatar
dr sound dr sound is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 2,118
Default Re: The future of surround sound? Auro 3D

Garnoil (George),
I do not know where you thought it was asked for you to "move to the US"?
No one is asking you to move to the US, or even change cities or becoming a US citizen. This "Auro-3D " technology has been implemented in studios all over the world. It was invented in Belgium, used in the US, India, Belgium, China, Korea, Mexico, Germany, Russia and on and on.
I am only asking that you are more open-minded. I am not asking you for how many movies you mixed or how much you grossed in profits last year. I am making you and others aware of a groundbreaking, ear-opening opportunity for those of us who mix sound for a living. It is a process that doesn't charge a license fees. It is a process that is used from Theatrical, Home Video and even Mobile phone applications along with Video games. If you chose to ignore the possibilities then fine. But to dismiss it and not have all the facts well then..
Reviewing your posts above and listing to your comments it is obvious that it doesn't fit into your business model. That is fine. Please for the hope that others may benefit from the awareness and educating them more about "Auro" and "Immersive Sound” in general, please let the discussion continue without interjecting anything further as it personally pertains to you and your situation.
I appreciate your comments above for others who may be in your position, but many others may not share your feelings and may be interested in continuing the discussion while seeing the potential of how "Auro" and even "Atmos" may be used within their workflow. For example there is a guy I know who is building an "Atmos" mix room at his house to do "Movie Trailers" and "Game Audio". I have been assisting him with advice I have gained though my own experience in the hopes that he provides more content out into the marketplace. His studio is slightly larger than your own by the way.
__________________
Marti D. Humphrey CAS
aka dr.sound
www.thedubstage.com
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-17-2014, 08:57 AM
Henchman Henchman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Encino, CA
Posts: 866
Default Re: The future of surround sound? Auro 3D

I am seeing a lot of 3d tv's
__________________
www.markhensley.tv
IMDB Credit List

Living the dream.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-17-2014, 10:39 AM
mr.armadillo mr.armadillo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 826
Default Re: The future of surround sound? Auro 3D

I've just being asked to create a Auro 11.1 headphones mix for an audio book. Personally, I think Auro 3D will be really big with game audio and home theater, and I'm very excited to mix for it.
As for "the future of surround sound" in cinemas: Most of the cinemas in my country are upgrading (or already have upgraded) at least one of their rooms to Dolby Atmos. I spoke to all of them (it's a small market), and as per now, none of them will be using Auro 3D. I don't really know why, must be the name "Dolby". Time will tell if 2 formats can co-exist in the future. I hope so.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-17-2014, 11:27 AM
garnoil garnoil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,218
Default Re: The future of surround sound? Auro 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr sound View Post
Garnoil (George),
I do not know where you thought it was asked for you to "move to the US"?
No one is asking you to move to the US, or even change cities or becoming a US citizen. This "Auro-3D " technology has been implemented in studios all over the world. It was invented in Belgium, used in the US, India, Belgium, China, Korea, Mexico, Germany, Russia and on and on.
I am only asking that you are more open-minded. I am not asking you for how many movies you mixed or how much you grossed in profits last year. I am making you and others aware of a groundbreaking, ear-opening opportunity for those of us who mix sound for a living. It is a process that doesn't charge a license fees. It is a process that is used from Theatrical, Home Video and even Mobile phone applications along with Video games. If you chose to ignore the possibilities then fine. But to dismiss it and not have all the facts well then..
Reviewing your posts above and listing to your comments it is obvious that it doesn't fit into your business model. That is fine. Please for the hope that others may benefit from the awareness and educating them more about "Auro" and "Immersive Sound” in general, please let the discussion continue without interjecting anything further as it personally pertains to you and your situation.
I appreciate your comments above for others who may be in your position, but many others may not share your feelings and may be interested in continuing the discussion while seeing the potential of how "Auro" and even "Atmos" may be used within their workflow. For example there is a guy I know who is building an "Atmos" mix room at his house to do "Movie Trailers" and "Game Audio". I have been assisting him with advice I have gained though my own experience in the hopes that he provides more content out into the marketplace. His studio is slightly larger than your own by the way.
Noted and appreciate your info, thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-18-2014, 12:15 AM
mr.armadillo mr.armadillo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 826
Default Re: The future of surround sound? Auro 3D

BTW: Tonsturm just released their first BG library in Auro 3D, using a lovely 9.0 rig. Check it out! It's great. www.tonsturm.com
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-19-2014, 08:32 PM
cjguitar cjguitar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Sunland, CA
Posts: 561
Default Re: The future of surround sound? Auro 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.armadillo View Post
I've just being asked to create a Auro 11.1 headphones mix for an audio book. Personally, I think Auro 3D will be really big with game audio and home theater, and I'm very excited to mix for it.
As for "the future of surround sound" in cinemas: Most of the cinemas in my country are upgrading (or already have upgraded) at least one of their rooms to Dolby Atmos. I spoke to all of them (it's a small market), and as per now, none of them will be using Auro 3D. I don't really know why, must be the name "Dolby". Time will tell if 2 formats can co-exist in the future. I hope so.
And which country are you in? It would be good to know where Auro hasn't penetrated the market…
__________________
Chris M. Jacobson, CAS
Re-recording Mixer, Sound Designer
IMDB
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ipad & surround panner future? cwholden Post - Surround - Video 1 04-23-2010 08:23 AM
Dolby Surround/Pro Logic II future....? Eric Seaberg Post - Surround - Video 3 05-29-2008 02:12 PM
Surround sound other than Wave Surround? Kryst 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 5 04-28-2006 06:31 AM
Digi: Is LE likely to see surround support in the near future? who 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 0 08-04-2002 04:32 PM
HD and the future of sound Robocop Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 3 01-26-2002 05:30 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:35 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com