Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2014, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Need urgent help trying to decide what computer to get

I switched to Macs from PC's for audio in 1998. No regrets. Look where I live ... many of those people use Macs for Audio as well ... regardless - both will work.

$$$ are $$$

If one has the $$$ - I think the nMP I just got hits all the sweet spots - hex core - 512 SSD - 32G ram. Externally I have 1TB SSD for samples, 512SSD for audio, various backups and NAS.

But $4500 is a significant outlay for a computer.
Once you are in to the $3K for the basic quad (also tried that one first and nothing wrong with that machine either) - $500 more for 50% CPU increase is hard to say no to... the RAM even at 12G is plenty for most things and 256 is plenty of HD for OS and programs... both upgradeable down the road

I think many are using TB to FW adapters - this will be plenty of BW for normal recording (16 tracks easy).

Make sure to go to an Apple Store and register as a business - you get a 6% discount on all your computer purchases!
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 07-16-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benherron.rrr View Post
Thanks The Weed, The Pro Tools PC looks very impressive and the specs are very similar to the build I was trying to work out. If I decide not to go the apple route I think one of this will be my choice.
Hello, If you are interested in going the PTPC route, please get in contact. We are in testing about to release a new upgraded system.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 07-16-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioEngineer591 View Post
Buy a gaming PC. Get an MSI laptop. I brought one and I'm good for years to come. And their CPUs and GPUs are upgradable.
There's a problem with gaming machines - they are not the quietest things around with all the cooling they tend to run.

QAPLA!
Old 07-17-2014, 06:31 AM

I've decided to go for a nMP, it's a fair bit extra cash but I feel it is the right decision for now and in the long run, going the modular route will also help save cash when it comes to me portable rig.

Think I'm going to get one lacie d2 thinderbolt/usb3 and stick with a firewire 800 adapter for my other lacie, unless there are any useful thunderbolt-eSATA adapters out there and upgrade to SSD's later on.