Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-23-2017, 09:56 AM

Default Avid Video Engine

Working on several music projects for broadcast which requires a video track. Never had any problems during the years with video in ProTools but today I'm stuck. Video engine wont launch.

It started with trying to import a new video file into a new project. The file was in.mp4 format. At first I got the "Timeout when trying to connect..." error, then I disconnected the video engine (shouldn't have done that...) and now It wont start at all.

Trashed prefs, went back to PT 12.6 from 12.7, reinstalled codecs, nothing helps.
Mac 12-core, 2 x 2.93 GHz, 32 GB, ProTools HD.
Hope AVID or anybody can chime in here......
Old 11-23-2017, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Avid Video Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue View Post
Working on several music projects for broadcast which requires a video track. Never had any problems during the years with video in ProTools but today I'm stuck. Video engine wont launch.

It started with trying to import a new video file into a new project. The file was in.mp4 format. At first I got the "Timeout when trying to connect..." error, then I disconnected the video engine (shouldn't have done that...) and now It wont start at all.

Trashed prefs, went back to PT 12.6 from 12.7, reinstalled codecs, nothing helps.
Mac 12-core, 2 x 2.93 GHz, 32 GB, ProTools HD.
Hope AVID or anybody can chime in here......
Try converting the mp4 to ProRes or Avid DNxHD. PT has issues with mp4's...though Avid says they should work.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:48 PM

Also, try this.
open activity monitor. Find the QuickTime background video mallarky (it’ll be in red cos it’s a ^*ck up)… quit it, then restart.
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 11-24-2017, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue View Post
"Timeout when trying to connect..." error, then I disconnected the video engine (shouldn't have done that...) and now It wont start at all..
PT doesn't like changing the network-setup while it's running. If you switch between multiple networks it usually leads to a video engine hickup as the Mac changes it's IP address or network settings.

AFAIK, the video-engine uses Satellite technology behind the curtains even when you are not using an actual Satellite setup so I guess switching the network or it's settings throws it off.

I have to switch between various VLANs from time to time and usually the video engine gives me a video error when I hit play while the Mac is still getting a new IP from the router even though I'm not using Satellite. But normally it you do nothing for a few seconds till the dust has settled you can continue to work normally.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:23 AM

Problem solved. It boiled down to an illegal character on one of my disc names..... A backslash. Beware!