Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2011, 12:07 AM

Default Right to reply?

DigiCS has closed this discussion, denying me a chance to respond.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=295820

I think this is because he/she feels I was disrespectful. If so, I apologise, but would like to hear an equal apology from Avid.

It is disrespectful to the customer, and yes, frankly idiotic, to send out an email right after taking a customer's money which effectively prevents them from proceeding to download the product they have just purchased.

I'm surprised that DigiCS includes him/herself in my comment, though. I was not, on this occasion talking about Avid. I was referring to the different company which runs the store, and which issued the email. I know it is a different company (Arvato Systems?), because when you ask them for help they tell you they are a different company and cannot provide help. (Moderator posts in the thread also referred to the Store as a separate organisation).

Avid can't have it both ways. When it suits them the Store is a separate organisation, but if you criticise that organisation they react as if you had criticised them. THAT is disrespectful.

It is also disrespectful to suggest, as DigiCS did, that I was at fault for Googling what turned out to be an out-of-date web page, when I'd been just been chided by the other Moderator, DigiTechSupt for failing to Google for information on a random piece of software that Avid had put in my Products Not Yet Downloaded Folder without my request.

It is, in any case, disrespectful to the customer to leave out-of date web pages on line. A good web team will conduct regular google searches to see what comes up in typical searchers like 'MP3 Protools.' If the information is misleading then that page should be deleted.

It is disrespectful to the customer to spend time editing threads to remove criticism of Avid, while failing to reply to threads relating to random quits and other major issues with ProTools (I started that thread on the 22nd of Feb. It is now the 2nd of March and there has been not one single reply).

But most of all it is disrespectful - even insulting - to suggest, as DigiCS did, that I should somehow have known that the web page I Googled above was "an archive of old support information. It is labeled "Digidesign Support Archives — May 2006 & Earlier Only" to indicate that it is not current" when it said NOTHING OF THE SORT on that page.

I now wish to continue this discussion by email, with a senior Avid customer support manager.

I'm not writing all this for my own amusement. I am a former customer service consultant and I know that Avid needs to understand the points I am making.

Thank you.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:50 AM

Default Re: Right to reply?

OK -

I bought the MP3 Option again.

This time I chose the correct Athorisation code (not that that makes any difference to the above) and it accepted my credit card.

When I looked in my product folder both the old, wrong, download was there, and the new correct one.

I clicked Download.

I didn't get a Download, but I did get a page with - hooray - my CUBS code.

But there was no download button.

So I clicked 'back' and found this message. (I did NOT enter that number - it was already there). This IS the first time I've even seen a box where I could enter a code, never mind use it - but it does show as already used, so I AM contacting customer support.

(And they wonder why I'm very slightly irritated?)

This is the message I got.

Enter your activation and/or download code:

We are sorry, but this code has already been used to activate software, and can only be used once.

If you have previously used this code to activate your product, please check your account for your downloads and codes.

If this is the first time you've used this code and it shows as already used, please contact customer support.

Example: 000000-000000000-0000000Help

Download Now

Old 03-02-2011, 06:28 AM

First, there is no "right to reply" on this forum; the only rights any of us have here are those Avid grants to us.

Second, you have acted like a total jerk throughout your thread. Instead of simply following the links and instructions that DigiTechSupt provided, you chose to argue, lecture, and bitch.

Third, thousands, or perhaps even hundreds of thousands of people have been able to purchase and install the MP3 Option with no problems. Therefore, it is quite obvious that the entire problem here lies with you.

Fourth, look around on this forum. On threads that discuss Avid's legitimate problems, there are posts from other people having the same problem. But on your thread, with the exception of a left-field post recommending some different software, the only post have been from you and DigiTechSupt. Again, it is quite obvious that the entire problem here lies with you.

So...allow me to suggest you take your attitude and stuff it where the sun don't shine. Then go back and carefully and exactly follow the instructions provided to you by DigiTechSupt. If you still can't get the MP3 Option installed, perhaps you should find a different and less intellectually demanding hobby...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 03-02-2011, 06:59 AM

Yes, it's a site with problems. But your post was of the "How can I make the chances of being helped to my satisfaction go from 80% to 5%" variety. When you bring in your car to get the engine that's acting up again looked at, do you start off by insulting the mechanic and then wonder why he doesn't put you at the front of the queue?

I have some issues with Avid as well, both in the site and the product. But I can guarantee I would have gotten better results than you with less offensive posts.

You want a problem solved? Be smart about it.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:30 AM

OK - I can take those on the chin.

But may I also explain that all you are seeing here is the end of a far longer discussion that has now been separated into three separate threads, and had history before that. I did start out being as tactful and tolerant as you suggest. I'm a very patient person - normally.

If you follow my arguments closely you'll see that there are genuine problems here which the Mods are not addressing.

"only rights any of us have here are those Avid grants to us."

Customers have do have legal rights to get the product they paid for, but my "?" is ironic. Regular failure to deal with customer problems leads to bad consequences for the company.

And I have done as instructed - that's the whole point.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
First, there is no "right to reply" on this forum; the only rights any of us have here are those Avid grants to us.

Second, you have acted like a total jerk throughout your thread. Instead of simply following the links and instructions that DigiTechSupt provided, you chose to argue, lecture, and bitch.

Third, thousands, or perhaps even hundreds of thousands of people have been able to purchase and install the MP3 Option with no problems. Therefore, it is quite obvious that the entire problem here lies with you.

Fourth, look around on this forum. On threads that discuss Avid's legitimate problems, there are posts from other people having the same problem. But on your thread, with the exception of a left-field post recommending some different software, the only post have been from you and DigiTechSupt. Again, it is quite obvious that the entire problem here lies with you.

So...allow me to suggest you take your attitude and stuff it where the sun don't shine. Then go back and carefully and exactly follow the instructions provided to you by DigiTechSupt. If you still can't get the MP3 Option installed, perhaps you should find a different and less intellectually demanding hobby...
+1,000,000. couldn't have said it better myself. Every helpful hint DTS gave him was met by another rant. On and on he went like a child who lost his favourite toy at daycare and then blamed everyone else for not knowing where it was.

Change your username, drop the pompous attitude and be grateful you even got a reply from DTS. In most cases the customer is right. In this case, well.......... Grandma always said mind your manners, and don't swear on the DUC!!!!!!

Win 7, PT 9, 11 rack, superior drummer 2.2, Gibson guitars, yamaha bass, Dimebag washburn
Gibson Guitars
Washburn Guitars
Michael Kelly Guitars
Yamaha Bass
Roland TD30K
EZ Drummer 2
Superior Drummer 2.2
Old 03-02-2011, 07:51 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombliss View Post
...But there was no download button.
As stated in a previous post...
Install MP3 Option from your Pro Tools 8 DVD or using the installer from kb357165
Old 03-02-2011, 08:21 AM

Thank you DigiCS. That link has worked and I've finally got a download. My apologies for ranting - I shelled out for a new MacBookPro just to get a stable PTLE for score work, but it still crashes about every 20 minutes some days - and I have a massive composing job to finish (a musical) with tight internal deadlines. I didn't follow the link before because I'd had different advice from the Store. (They've given me totally different advice again just now by the way - saying there is in fact no download). It can be very confusing and frustrating out here.

Sorry to everyone else too.

Tom
Old 03-02-2011, 05:51 PM

almighty I hope your using an external drive!!!

Old 03-03-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombliss View Post
Thank you DigiCS. That link has worked and I've finally got a download. My apologies for ranting - I shelled out for a new MacBookPro just to get a stable PTLE for score work, but it still crashes about every 20 minutes some days - and I have a massive composing job to finish (a musical) with tight internal deadlines. I didn't follow the link before because I'd had different advice from the Store. (They've given me totally different advice again just now by the way - saying there is in fact no download). It can be very confusing and frustrating out here.

Sorry to everyone else too.

Tom
Kudos to Mr. Bliss for his apology. Having dealt with more than a few artists/engineers/producers blowing steam when under pressure I understand how it happens (as I have blown plenty of steam before), but it is rare when someone who blows the steam actually give an apology.

If more DUC'ers could man up like this we might all just get along!!