Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2020, 01:51 PM

Default Accessibility for person with disability.

I’m reaching out to see if there are any recommended control surfaces, tools, or resources to assist a person with physical disability with using Pro Tools. They experience a limited range of motion with their arms and would be looking to make fairly introductory edits and mix moves.
Thanks!
Old 08-25-2020, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Accessibility for person with disability.

First of all, welcome to the forum.

That's a pretty wide topic there, and you're not being very specific. Arm motion range, as you say, does it mean he/she can't use a mouse? Or are you talking about controller ergonomics?
Old 08-26-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
First of all, welcome to the forum.

That's a pretty wide topic there, and you're not being very specific. Arm motion range, as you say, does it mean he/she can't use a mouse? Or are you talking about controller ergonomics?
Thanks for your reply!

I unfortunately don't have direct contact with this person but I received this description after following up:
"We are working to see if there are ways to reduce the level of use of hands in working with these programs; particularly, if we can find any shortcuts, voice commands, ergonomic mouse, etc. for the software. "

I also know it would be PT on Mac and not PC.

Sorry that I don't have more information than this... I'm beginning my search for solutions but I thought I'd see if the Avid community had any good starting points!
Old 08-26-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcnabb View Post
Thanks for your reply!

I unfortunately don't have direct contact with this person but I received this description after following up:
"We are working to see if there are ways to reduce the level of use of hands in working with these programs; particularly, if we can find any shortcuts, voice commands, ergonomic mouse, etc. for the software. "

I also know it would be PT on Mac and not PC.

Sorry that I don't have more information than this... I'm beginning my search for solutions but I thought I'd see if the Avid community had any good starting points!
Really going to need more specific info on what abilities the person in question has. Take for instance mouse - there's the normal horizontal mouse and there are mice that are vertical or have a tilt to them. There's also the possibility of using a trackball or trackpad. Also left or right handed for mice as not many companies make a mouse for lefties. You could also go as far as was done for the late Stephen Hawking with his eye tracker system.

QAPLA!
Old 08-27-2020, 07:06 PM

I've got a rare neurological/genetic disorder which has robbed me of much of my mobility. My hands and arms are a mess. Walking is at best a chore. My eyes are a mess bc of meds and disease. I've spent 20 years getting sick and 20 years fighting and kicking to keep this studio going. So I can offer lots of tips and suggestions, ergonomics and otherwise.

I even started making my own instruments (bass and guitar) so that they are smaller and SUPER light (basses in the 5-6lb max range). I do a lot of session playing and recording even though its difficult. I've had to economize every single aspect of my 4 room studio. Every reach, every view, every bend to pick up a cable.

It also extends to PT. I have a light up super bright gaming keyboard with a great "feel" to the key snap. It has programmable macro buttons. So my most common key commands in Pro Tools are a tap away. That saves THOUSANDS of strokes per year. I invested in a Slate Raven. In my case, movement is pain. But NOT to move, at all, is frozen death. My muscles Harden in place. So a little motion is good. I use black hand/wrist guards bc my nervous system is on high alert. I use black tendon straps to give my hands more strength. (Yes, my STYLE look is definitely wanting... I look like a football player with all my "armor"). I use Slate's batch command for macros. That eliminates strokes big time.

I use multiple mice. Mostly my fave is a Microsoft one. And I use the Evoluent vertical mouse too, though that one does NOT feature the tilt function, which is important in PT editing.

I use GOOD chairs. Nothing against a $300 Staples chair. I've got a loft full of em. But I use 3 now, and they've lasted a decade or so. And still feel new. I use Steelcase Leap V1 (better than v2), Steelcase Think chair with micro mesh backing bc my skin falls apart against leather etc, and Herman Miller Mirra. The Aeron caused nerve damage/pain. All my chairs can FOLD DOWN in front, which takes all the pressure off your thighs and nerves. I switch every few months. Kinda like shoes, it's not great to never switch up your tootsies.

I also make sure the desk etc is set up with everything in proper viewing range. And I always try to stick to this axiom: It should be where I reach for it. Where should I put the mouse area? Shut your eyes and reach for it. Where you touch is where it should go.

I know this may all seem off topic. I'm just rambling. But ALL of the above helps reduce body and arm and back stress. Which feeds into mobility and ability to do work.

Message me if you have specific needs/qs. I am on the downside of the hill body use wise. But I keep trying to find ways. And I've been a PT guy since the 90s. I have tons of knowledge on how to get the most out of a very bad situation. Maybe I can help?
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjanthony View Post

It also extends to PT. I have a light up super bright gaming keyboard with a great "feel" to the key snap. It has programmable macro buttons. So my most common key commands in Pro Tools are a tap away. That saves THOUSANDS of strokes per year.

snippage

I use multiple mice. Mostly my fave is a Microsoft one. And I use the Evoluent vertical mouse too, though that one does NOT feature the tilt function, which is important in PT editing.
Your keyboard - is that a Razer and if so which one? Been looking to replace the extended Apple keyboard I have and clicky would be okay. I use a Razer Death Adder Elite mouse so I know whereof that company. Also a keyboard that's lit would be a great help here.

IIRC the Evoluent mice come in different sizes. Nice but my hand size falls somewheres inbetween what they recommend.

And thanks for sharing your trials & tribulations. It's an inspiration to us who are also less than perfectly mobile.

QAPLA!
Old 08-28-2020, 05:24 AM

It’s a Kinesis gaming keyboard. It’s called the Edge (I think, not in front of it now). EXPENSIVE! I did use the kinesis regular split
Keys for 5-7 years. But my studio is dark dark dark. I always spent time and money to light it up in dark room. When I saw this? YES! you can adjust the brightness. Fully lit, it’ll hurt . You can swap out keys for different feels and clicks. The macros, though, almost make Batch Commander and the RAven redundant.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.