Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2009, 09:05 AM

Default Windows Vista and Pro Tools 8

I recently installed Pro Tools 8 and a mbox 2 to a laptop computer. I have been having all kinds of issues since the install. 20 to 30 hz hum, 9019 error code, buffer size error, plug in issues. I've browsed the Digi website, Ive requested Tech support and no answers seem to solve the issue. I erased everything from the system, partitioned and defragged then reinstalled all operating systems and software. PT 8.... Its loaded and running, I can at least record "live". NOw where are the plugins? I installed them also, registered and activated but they are no where to be found in my program files. Anyone out there had this problem ?? How did you solve it?

Windows Vista is compatible with Pro Tools 8 after tweaking the Laptop a little here and there and making minor adjustments to the operating system. The maximizing windows for Pro Tools option has not come into play yet. So far I have not been required to make the pc maximizations for compatibility.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Windows Vista and Pro Tools 8

We need a LOT more info to be able to help, so start here:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=193637
And I must ask, what are you using for a dedicated audio recording drive? Attempting to record to the system drive is NOT recommended, and it will give you fits. Plus, a partitioned system drive does NOT constitute a separate, dedicated drive and typically makes matters worse.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:06 AM

Thank you sw rec

To answer sw rec's questions, I am using a usb firewire external drive for recording. I will take the partitioned drive info you provided into consideration. So far the pro tools software is working properly. I am having major issues with the plug ins and music files. When I down load them and try to import them into protools on a track I recieve promts, say windows cannot open this file type.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:29 PM

Wait a second, is it a USB or a Firewire drive? If it has both interfaces, you should use the Firewire connection. Pro Tools is not qualified to record to a USB drive.
And you need to do more than "consider" not trying to record to a partition. It might work sometimes, but if you want it to be RELIABLE you need to follow Digi's recommendations and record ONLY to your dedicated audio drive.
Regarding the files you're trying to import...what file types are they?
Old 02-26-2009, 01:41 PM

Im using a usb drive, but I will be installing the firewire drive. I did read that article from the link you send. Thank you it was very helpful and informative.

As for the file types. They are wav files. why am I having problems with windows opeing these files in Pro Tools? I can open them and play them in media center.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:06 PM

Are they 44.1, 16 bit? What's your session file type default?