Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2017, 06:00 PM

Default Re: PT 12 Track Presets

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
He's not asking about using the new track dialog but can track presets be called up from right clicking on a send slot? If there's a way to do that I don't know it.
2 different functions. You can create a send that includes a new track, but it will only select audio or aux as far as I know. Maybe the best solution would be to create session templates that include everything you usually need.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-17-2017, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
2 different functions. You can create a send that includes a new track, but it will only select audio or aux as far as I know. Maybe the best solution would be to create session templates that include everything you usually need.
I know they're two different things but you are missing what the op wants - he wants to be able to call up the same track presets one creates using the 'track preset hack' when creating a track from a send. Can't do that.

QAPLA!
Old 05-17-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I know they're two different things but you are missing what the op wants - he wants to be able to call up the same track presets one creates using the 'track preset hack' when creating a track from a send. Can't do that.
Indeed, this can't be done. I was offering alternatives

Old 01-19-2018, 01:53 PM

I'm just getting around to implementing this in Pro Tools 12 but am hitting an issue when making instrument tracks. The best example of the issue is:

I've got a preset for Kontakt named Kontakt. If I create more than one instance of this track preset, the MIDI for every additional instance gets directed to the first instance of Kontakt. I can't even redirect the MIDI to its own track. It appears as an option in the dropdown, but I can't select it.

For example:
1. I create 2 "Kontakt" tracks from my preset (either at the same time or at separate times). I end up with 2 instances, Kontakt and Kontakt.1.
2. I load bass in the first and piano in the second (or whatever voice, just using these to illustrate the point).
3. The first track, "Kontakt", with bass loaded on it, works as expected. The MIDI output to that track is directed to the instance of Kontakt on that same track. So, when that track is selected, my MIDI controlle or any midi recorded to the track trigger the bass "Kontakt" instrument track.
4. However, the second instance "Kontakt.1" with the piano sounds loaded does not work correctly. The MIDI output is NOT directed to the the piano, rather it is directed to the FIRST instance on the track. So, no piano, all MIDI is routed to the first instance above.
5. Plus, I cannot select the correct output. It shows as an option inthe MIDI output dropdown, but when I select it, nothing happens. It remains directed to the other track.

Anyone run into this and know how to deal with it?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_2018-01-19_14_50_20.png (62.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-19-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh108 View Post
I'm just getting around to implementing this in Pro Tools 12 but am hitting an issue when making instrument tracks. The best example of the issue is:

I've got a preset for Kontakt named Kontakt. If I create more than one instance of this track preset, the MIDI for every additional instance gets directed to the first instance of Kontakt. I can't even redirect the MIDI to its own track. It appears as an option in the dropdown, but I can't select it.

For example:
1. I create 2 "Kontakt" tracks from my preset (either at the same time or at separate times). I end up with 2 instances, Kontakt and Kontakt.1.
2. I load bass in the first and piano in the second (or whatever voice, just using these to illustrate the point).
3. The first track, "Kontakt", with bass loaded on it, works as expected. The MIDI output to that track is directed to the instance of Kontakt on that same track. So, when that track is selected, my MIDI controlle or any midi recorded to the track trigger the bass "Kontakt" instrument track.
4. However, the second instance "Kontakt.1" with the piano sounds loaded does not work correctly. The MIDI output is NOT directed to the the piano, rather it is directed to the FIRST instance on the track. So, no piano, all MIDI is routed to the first instance above.
5. Plus, I cannot select the correct output. It shows as an option inthe MIDI output dropdown, but when I select it, nothing happens. It remains directed to the other track.

Anyone run into this and know how to deal with it?
That Kontakt.1 track looks like a duplicate. When you say you created the tracks - did you use your preset twice, did you put the numeral '2' in the track creation window or did you right click on the track and select 'duplicate'? My guess is you did the latter.

QAPLA!
Old 01-20-2018, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the response - to answer your question: no, it was not created using the right click duplicate function. In fact, I’ve tried both entering “the numeral 2” in the new track dialogue, and using the new track dialogue (not duplicate track) twice. In other words,
creste new track with preset, but only 1 instance, then starting over and creating another single instance.

But even if I had duplicated the track, I should still be able to reassign the midi output. That’s the weirdest part, that I can’t reassign the output. While
I’ve definitely had my share of sessions where the midi output gets jumbled up and incorrectly routed, but I can’t remeber a time when I’ve been unable to change the output.

Things I’m going to try next:
- making sure it’s not just a kontakt only issue (This was the first preset I tried)
- trying to load an actual sound bank for the preset (this is an empty instance of kontakt)
- bang my head against the wall because at least that yields a predictable result

I’m all ears if there’s any wisdom out there I’m unaware of. This voodoo is not working for me. Show me the way.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:16 AM

Schedule is super tight right now, I'll tell you how to do this in a few days.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeefauver View Post
This isn't new, been around for some time but I'm just getting around to implementing it. Figured I would reiterate the steps for anyone in the same boat. If you don't understand what this is about, search up a video on PT track presets and it will all become apparent. Anyhow, here's how I did it in 12 and I'm sure it works this way in 11 as well. 10 and before have different instructions but I'm sure they are pretty easy to find.

SOLVED: The actual track presets have to be in subfolders under the "Track Presets" folder. If they are in the root, they don't show up. So, for anyone looking for the quick and dirty steps for this for PT12 (and likely 11 too):

1. Create a Track Presets (plural) folder under Documents / Pro Tools
2. Create your track preset sessions, select the tracks you want to have as part of the preset and Export them as a session to the folder you just created. HOWEVER, you need to put them in logical subfolders like maybe 2Bus, Vox, Cue, etc.....whatever.
3. Once saved, go to explorer or whatever it's called in Mac-land and change the file suffix from .PTX to .PTXT making it a template.
4. Now when you use the new track dialog, you'll see your subfolders listed under the track type drop-down and you can select any of your self-created presets from there.

This!
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:21 AM

If using several Kontact plugins is something you do a lot, I would create a track preset that includes multiple tracks with Kontact on each. A "Track Preset" can actually be an entire session's worth of tracks. Doing this would allow you to have your midi assignments already laid out. I have several Instrument Track presets with my "go to" instruments already loaded and midi inputs set to the intended controller(I have 3 keyboards)

Old 01-20-2018, 02:23 PM

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Schedule is super tight right now, I'll tell you how to do this in a few days.
Thanks Drew!

Quote:
This!
Thanks, but unless I'm missing something, i think I've got all of that done correctly...

Quote:
If using several Kontact plugins is something you do a lot, I would create a track preset that includes multiple tracks with Kontact on each. A "Track Preset" can actually be an entire session's worth of tracks. Doing this would allow you to have your midi assignments already laid out. I have several Instrument Track presets with my "go to" instruments already loaded and midi inputs set to the intended controller(I have 3 keyboards)
Well, now that's cool! I didn't know it could be an entire session/multiple tracks. That's a good solution in any case...and if I can't resolve existing issue, this could go a long way toward a workaround.

I compose a lot, so parts of my workflow are very unpredictable because I may try 10 different things, so I often won't know how many instances of something I'll need, or what will even be in them. Making a unique instrument for every possibility is not really plausible. But, having a generic handful of initial setups could go a long way.

Which brings me back to the initial challenge: I still am puzzled as to why:
- my outputs are wrong when using an instrument preset more than once
and
- I'm unable to change the MIDI outputs on those tracks.

Maybe Drew will have some insight.

Can anyone confirm that they are able to use an instrument track preset more than once in a session without encountering this issue?