Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-09-2012, 08:25 AM

Default MBox Pro (3rd gen) will not reset after firmware update.

[MacBook Pro 15" (Early 2011), 2 GHz i7, 4GB running OS X 10.7.5]
[MBox Pro 3rd Gen, Pro Tools 10.1]
[There is an OWC Mercury Elite-Pro FireWire HDD between the MBox and MacBook Pro, so MBox (FireWire 400 to 800) --> HDD (800) --> MacBook Pro]

I installed drivers for my MBox Pro (to version 1.0.16), and the installation file included a firmware update (to version 1.0.3). After installing the drivers and restarting the computer, the firmware update started, but never finished. I left it for about 2 hours, and the progress bar never moved. I attempted to restart my computer after this period, and the MBox went dark and hasn't come back on since then. The MBox Pro Control Panel says there is no hardware connected, but in About This Mac...-->More info...-->System Report-->FireWire, it says there is an "Unknown Firewire Device" detected (Others have had problems with the internal power leads, but the fact that there is a device detected, and that it worked fine before the firmware update leads me to believe that this is not an issue).

I've tried reinstalling the drivers several times, with three different machines, including two Windows machines, but to no avail. I've searched the DUC, the knowledgebase and Google, but I've found no relevant information. Calling Avid support isn't an option for me right now as I cannot locate my registration card, and I want to delay paying for an ASC until I have exhausted all other options.
Can someone help?

Last edited by mrobertson1; 10-09-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Clarity.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:31 PM

I have asked them about a separate upload for that and am waiting to find out. I will post as soon as I hear something. My Mbox Pro is working well except the tuner is not working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:31 PM

What does your "about" panel say or can you even open it?

I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:37 AM

Default Re: MBox Pro (3rd gen) will not reset after firmware update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryser View Post
What does your "about" panel say or can you even open it?

I can open it, but when I do, there is no number listed next to "firmware version".
Old 10-28-2012, 09:37 AM

Hello gents... I ran into a similar problem last night... I upgraded my Mbox Pro (3rd gen) to latest firmware (1.1.2) - and now the Mbox is not recognized by the Mbox control panel or Pro Tools at all. The firmware version in the control panel is "blank" which seems weird. Now it seems I cannot use it at all and am stuck.. searching these forums for some clues...
thanks
Old 10-28-2012, 02:45 PM

well i was able to figure out my problem (so far anyways) - thought i'd post it if it might help others.
I had to first uninstall the 1.1.12 driver, then install the previous driver (1.0.16 - firmware 1.0.3) which now seems to work again after a reboot. My headphone outputs are working again and I don't hear the static noise. So far so good - just wish there was a readme or notice to not install 1.1.12...
thanks
dave
Old 10-29-2012, 03:31 PM

The MBox Pro 3 phantom power does not function now with update 1.1.2; and ML update today to 10.8.2.
Is there a way to reset the MBox Pro 3? The red light comes on, but the leds do not light; and, all 4 mics are dead.
Best,
Seth
Old 10-29-2012, 09:05 PM

Getting a similar situation here. Updated drivers and swear this set up worked on Saturday. Come Sunday, Mbox 3 Pro is not recognized or blue light flashing or no lights or frozen meters. I've had all these instances during the many times uninstalling and reinstalling of the drivers/PT today. Reverted back to 1.0.16 but didn't change my luck. The box works fine when powered up without the mac on or attached. Power light and Speaker light stay lit. Mic passed signal to the meters. As soon as the OS is recognized, the Mbox 3 Pro exhibits one of the symptoms listed above and signal stops passing through to meters. Communication breakdown somewhere generally knocking power off and/or freezing the Mbox.

I've gotten the Control Panel to recognize the Mbox 3 Pro and display the firmware once or twice, but can't get any audio out of the device. From Pro tools or otherwise. Trashed Preferences, Repaired permissions, reset PRAM, etc. No luck.

Tried the Mbox 3 Pro with a Macbook Pro running PT10.3 and everything runs smoothly.

Dave, were you successful reverting the driver and getting full functionality back? No such luck here. Open to suggestions.

Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 Quad, 10.7.3, 24gb RAM, Mbox 3 Pro, CPTK, PT10.3
Old 10-30-2012, 10:16 AM

Folks,
Unistalled MBox Pro 3G drivers and disconnected unit last night. When I turned the unit on this am and reinstalled 1.1.2 all is well again. This is quite an unreliable unit since day 1. Constantly having to turn off and on to get back online for noise, no headphones, and no input either for the phantom mics.
Seth
Old 11-13-2012, 12:18 PM

I still can't seem to resolve my Mbox 3 Pro issue with my Mac Pro (Lion 10.7.5). After updating the drivers, the green Spkr light goes off when Mac boots and the blue power light either flashes or goes out completely. The Mbox control panel doesn't detect machine, doesn't display firmware, no audio in or out. Tried uninstalling, reverting back to previous drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling Protools. Even tried what other did by uninstalling and leaving unplugged for 12 hours before reinstalling. Nothing resolves the issue.

The Mbox works great on 2 different Macbook Pros with the latest driver and the only difference being OS (Snow Leopard on one, Mountain Lion on the other) Beginning to think there is a hidden/corrupt file on my Mac Pro not being deleted with the driver unistall.

I've reverted to using my 002R for now. Which works utilizing the same firewire port and cable the Mbox utilized. The 002R works like a champ but features on the Mbox Pro I need to have eventually.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.