Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2011, 10:23 AM

Default Upgrade Situation

Currently running PTLE v7 on an ancient G4 and Digi 002. Now own a 15" Macbook Pro, Studio hasn't been running for a while and old customer called me up wanting to do a new project. Don't want to do this on the G4.
V7 is halting me in my tracks and won't even load onto the new Macbook. Figuring will probably have to upgrade to v9. Protools has changed a LOT of stuff since I've been active.

Can I do cross grade or will I have to buy the $600 version?

I assume I can run PT9 with Digi 002 but will have to get a Firewire 400 to 800 cable.

Everything is sort of in a shambles right now..Can some of you help me with the easiest route and bang for the buck?

Thanks
Kenny
Old 09-05-2011, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Upgrade Situation

Your 002 serial number qualifies you to get PT9 for the $249 crossgrade price. It comes with a full installer so don't bother trying to load PT7.

I suggest buying the download version, and making a disc copy of the installer package. Then you have the best of both worlds, a disc copy and the downloadable version in your account.

One other thing, PT9 requires an Ilok to run.

If you don't already have one, I suggest getting the new Ilok version 2.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Your 002 serial number qualifies you to get PT9 for the $249 crossgrade price. It comes with a full installer so don't bother trying to load PT7.

I suggest buying the download version, and making a disc copy of the installer package. Then you have the best of both worlds, a disc copy and the downloadable version in your account.

One other thing, PT9 requires an Ilok to run.

If you don't already have one, I suggest getting the new Ilok version 2.
Thanks! Need to find that iLok...

Have the plug-ins improved since v7?
Old 09-05-2011, 08:02 PM

If you mean the plugins that come with Protools, kind of. PT 8 was the biggest change for plugs and VI's. PT9 doesn't add anything new in that area, only in functionality.

PT 8 brought some better VI's, especially Xpand 2, which has a lot more stuff in it. And it brought the Midi Editor Window, which helps a lot if you're into midi stuff. As for plugs, they added some new plugins designed by the same team that does the AIR instruments, called the AIR plugins. There's some cool ones in there for interesting effects, but overall, you'll still want some good 3rd party ones.

As for PT9, the features of the Music Toolkit and DV Toolkit are now standard built in (those kits are discontinued), the functionality of Digitranslator is also built in. And the standard track count is much higher (96).

Oh, and the big thing - Automatic Delay Compensation - now built in.

There is now one toolkit, the Complete Production Toolkit 2, which adds Surround Mixing, and more tracks, and basically makes it equal with HD software, minus the specific features that are tied to TDM hardware.

And last but not least, you no longer have to use Digi/Avid hardware. You can run it on your Mac with no interface, or any other interface you want.

If you really depend on the control surface functionality of the 002, you may want to keep that. But otherwise, you may choose to sell it after you use the serial number for the crossgrade (be sure to inform the new buyer that you've already used it).
Old 09-06-2011, 06:05 PM

Thanks! I have it all loaded now and My Waves Renaissance upgraded to match. Will definitely keep the fancy mouse (002) Like to have those 100m faders to ride simultaneously and it has pretty darn nice pres....as well as running my reference monitors through it. Do like the portability as an option though!