Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-09-2010, 05:34 PM

Default KRK Rokits rp5g2

I know a few people use these monitors, are they worth the money or are there better ones for a similar price, at the moment it is just for a simple home studio setup in a fairly small room and I've been told that the 5's will be better than the 6, 8 and the new 10's because they won't give off as much bass and swamp the small room full of bass.

Cheers guys
Old 06-09-2010, 08:14 PM

Default Re: KRK Rokits rp5g2

I almost pulled the trigger on a pair of these yesterday. I noticed though that the Mackies and Yamaha's...in fact all the other monitors other than KRK, were much louder. I even verified that the volume knob at the back was all the way up.

I am interested in the Yamaha HS 50 M's now. I have Event 20/20 BAS's but want a smaller monitor set as well. The Yamaha's are kinda NS 10 M sounding.

Go listen to the KRK Rokits, see if you like them. Craig Anderton(?) once said something like-having someone tell you what monitors to use is like having someone else pick your girlfriend.

very personal...you should take some music you like to the music stores and listen to them.
MBPR i7, 2.8 GHz, 16GB RAM,10.13.6|High Sierra|Mac Pro 2.66 Quad, 16GB RAM 10.6.8| Pro Tools 10 w/CPTK2|002R, Eleven Rack|Velvet|Spectrasonics Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX| Garritan Libraries-J&BB,Personal Orchestra4,Instant Orchestra| Sibelius 6| Reason 4| Drumcore3| EZ Drummer-Superior Drummer 2.0-Drumtracker|Izotope- RX2,Iris,Ozone 4| East West- Silk, RA, Gypsy, Fab Four, Voices of Passion, Symphonic Choirs, StormDrum2, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.Plus| VEPro|Symphobia
Old 06-10-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Dogg View Post
I almost pulled the trigger on a pair of these yesterday. I noticed though that the Mackies and Yamaha's...in fact all the other monitors other than KRK, were much louder. I even verified that the volume knob at the back was all the way up.
Something was wrong with the monitors or the way they had them wired.
Mackie, Yamaha, etc of the same size as a Rokit Gen2 are not louder.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:56 AM

I've owned the "old" RP5 and they are 1.) loud 2.) presenting good highs and lows, but if you're looking for something to "real" monitor your sound(s) use : K+H O 110 or equivalent (no Adams....)
Old 06-10-2010, 11:54 AM

I felt like something was wrong. I guess I freaked because I clicked over to the Rokit 8's which were on another bank and they were softer than all the 8" as well.

I will go to GC next and try theirs. Sam Ash's display was all jacked up. They claim they are remodeling the room.
MBPR i7, 2.8 GHz, 16GB RAM,10.13.6|High Sierra|Mac Pro 2.66 Quad, 16GB RAM 10.6.8| Pro Tools 10 w/CPTK2|002R, Eleven Rack|Velvet|Spectrasonics Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX| Garritan Libraries-J&BB,Personal Orchestra4,Instant Orchestra| Sibelius 6| Reason 4| Drumcore3| EZ Drummer-Superior Drummer 2.0-Drumtracker|Izotope- RX2,Iris,Ozone 4| East West- Silk, RA, Gypsy, Fab Four, Voices of Passion, Symphonic Choirs, StormDrum2, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.Plus| VEPro|Symphobia
Old 06-10-2010, 04:19 PM

I had the Rokit 5's and Hated them, they sounded great but gave a very different picture on almost any other system I would play back on, Since then I bought a pair of Yamaha hs 50M and my mixes have translated very well on a bunch of systems plus you have adjustments to help for frequency and tunning to your room , The Rokits did not.
Just My opinion.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:28 AM

I don't think I'll be able to afford the K+H o110's I'm still at uni lol I just want some monitors that will be better than using hifi speakers
Old 06-11-2010, 05:39 AM

Using O 110 as hifi speakers? strange, but maybe one will do so....
Old 06-11-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsb1 View Post
Using O 110 as hifi speakers? strange, but maybe one will do so....
No...

Currently for my mixing I am using my hifi speakers, but I want to get some proper monitors instead.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:36 AM

The biggest problem with the KRK's is they are actually designed to be used with the sub.

The only way to properly set them up requires that you calibrate them correctly which can only be done with the sub.
If you don't have it attacted to the sub you lose some of the controls that allow for proper calibration which kills the smiley face.
It's as if KRK designed it as one system but sell it as two.