Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2020, 06:34 PM

Default S1 fader initialization & reset

I'm wondering if my S1 is defective.

1) Tonight, after powering on, I could not turn off the S1. EUControl did not see the surface, so I turned the power switch off. Despite that, the OLED displays remained lit across the board with "AVID". After a couple of attempts with the switch, I finally had to pull the power cord.

2) Should the S1 do a reset of the faders upon startup? My old Command 8 always did this to initialize the faders, but my S1 doesn't. Never has. Is that normal?

3) The S1 faders will usually return to infinity (0) when I close a session - but a time or two, they have failed to reset. Is there a reset procedure? The only thing I've found that worked was to go into EUControl under the General tab - check and then uncheck Suspend All Faders.

4) According to the User Guide, the S1 should be powered on before the Mac. However, this never works. I have to open EUControl Settings; THEN switch on the S1 for it to appear as a surface. With the EUControl software auto-loading, shouldn't it remember and initialize my S1 automatically on startup? Or must I open EUControl settings on every startup?
Old 02-23-2020, 09:37 PM

Default Re: S1 fader initialization & reset

I’m also noticing that when I cycle thru automation modes from the S1 I get Read, Latch, Write and Off ... but no Touch. In order to enable Touch, I have to chose it from the Avid Control iPad... or in Logic Pro. Anyone able to chose Touch automation fro the S1?
Old 02-25-2020, 12:04 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuacksMeUp View Post
I’m also noticing that when I cycle thru automation modes from the S1 I get Read, Latch, Write and Off ... but no Touch. In order to enable Touch, I have to chose it from the Avid Control iPad... or in Logic Pro. Anyone able to chose Touch automation fro the S1?
Are you sure its touch thats missing not write? (which is correct)
Old 02-25-2020, 12:08 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuacksMeUp View Post
I'm wondering if my S1 is defective.

1) Tonight, after powering on, I could not turn off the S1. EUControl did not see the surface, so I turned the power switch off. Despite that, the OLED displays remained lit across the board with "AVID". After a couple of attempts with the switch, I finally had to pull the power cord.

2) Should the S1 do a reset of the faders upon startup? My old Command 8 always did this to initialize the faders, but my S1 doesn't. Never has. Is that normal?

3) The S1 faders will usually return to infinity (0) when I close a session - but a time or two, they have failed to reset. Is there a reset procedure? The only thing I've found that worked was to go into EUControl under the General tab - check and then uncheck Suspend All Faders.

4) According to the User Guide, the S1 should be powered on before the Mac. However, this never works. I have to open EUControl Settings; THEN switch on the S1 for it to appear as a surface. With the EUControl software auto-loading, shouldn't it remember and initialize my S1 automatically on startup? Or must I open EUControl settings on every startup?
1. The power switch is a soft switch not actual power. It tells EuControl its turning off first etc. I have seen it once before do this so will keep a look out.

2. No reset needed. It was to check for a dead fader...which is pretty obvious without this test

3. We took out the reset to inf when focusing another App due to complains about it. I suspect this is what you are seeing....you close and switch to another App before it completes

4. How is you S1 connected to the Mac, direct, through a switch, thorough a router etc ?
Old 02-25-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Are you sure its touch thats missing not write? (which is correct)
Hi Eddie. Yes - it is LATCH that is skipped in Logic Pro... and WRITE that is skipped in ProTools 2019.12

Avid requested videos of this and I forwarded those to tech support today.

(Why would skipping WRITE be correct?)
Old 02-25-2020, 07:36 PM
Avid

Sorry, I didnt know you were talking about Logic, I'll get our QA guy to check. Write is skipped when cycling through in PT as its very dangerous. You can manually select from the list in the Control App.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
1. The power switch is a soft switch not actual power. It tells EuControl its turning off first etc. I have seen it once before do this so will keep a look out.

2. No reset needed. It was to check for a dead fader...which is pretty obvious without this test

3. We took out the reset to inf when focusing another App do to complains about it. I suspect this is what you are seeing....you close and switch to another App before it completes

4. How is you S1 connected to the Mac, direct, through a switch, thorough a router etc ?
1. Okay - good to know about the soft switch.
3. Quite possible that's what happened.
4. The S1 is connected directly to my iMac by ethernet. Both Apple diagnostics (D key on startup) and TechTool Pro show no hardware/ethernet port problems (which I initially suspected). The startup procedure that seems to work is:
  1. power-on peripherals (audio interface, midi keyboard, etc.)
  2. power-on iMac and wait for EuControl to completely load (dimmed/gray EC icon in the menu bar)
  3. power-on the S1 (EC icon will turn black indicating that the S1 is now attached). This, of course, presumes the S1 has been previously setup in EuControl Settings.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I didnt know you were talking about Logic, I'll get our QA guy to check. Write is skipped when cycling through in PT as its very dangerous. You can manually select from the list in the Control App.
Interesting. So, when cycling thru automation modes from the S1, ProTools intentionally skips WRITE as a safety feature.

Cycling to WRITE in Logic throws up a warning dialog that must be dismissed... but only one time during the session it seems.

Thanks for taking time to clear some of these things up for me, Eddie.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:49 PM
Avid

Yes...we first took it out of the cycling on S6 due to complaints and then did it to EuControl too as I'm trying to keep workflow the same across EUCON.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Yes...we first took it out of the cycling on S6 due to complaints and then did it to EuControl too as I'm trying to keep workflow the same across EUCON.
Seems ripe for a preference doesn't it? (defaulted to off)