Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-18-2009, 04:27 PM

Default Advice on hiring mixing/mastering engineer?

Apologies in advance if this is posted in the wrong forum.

I'm an amateur Pro Tools user and nationally published author contractually bound to produce my own audiobooks. I'm fairly technosavvy, but I'm no audio/mixing/mastering engineer - an art that IMHO can take a lifetime to perfect.

My latest project not your standard audiobook. It contains historic broadcasts, background music, Foley and sound effects, live audio, interviews, etc.

How might I go about finding a seasoned Pro Tools pro that could tweak my project files one chapter at a time and make them sound cinematic? Location is not important - I have a server setup that pretty much performs the same function as DigiDelivery.

Regards to all,

Jack
Old 03-18-2009, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Advice on hiring mixing/mastering engineer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
Apologies in advance if this is posted in the wrong forum.

I'm an amateur Pro Tools user and nationally published author contractually bound to produce my own audiobooks. I'm fairly technosavvy, but I'm no audio/mixing/mastering engineer - an art that IMHO can take a lifetime to perfect.

My latest project not your standard audiobook. It contains historic broadcasts, background music, Foley and sound effects, live audio, interviews, etc.

How might I go about finding a seasoned Pro Tools pro that could tweak my project files one chapter at a time and make them sound cinematic? Location is not important - I have a server setup that pretty much performs the same function as DigiDelivery.

Regards to all,

Jack
Hi,

No doubt plenty of people on this forum would be able to do the job for you, including myself you can check my mastering site below and e-mail me if you want any further information.

good luck with your project

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:51 PM

The fact that your source material is in Pro Tools is almost irrelevant. I suggest you approach your problem from an artistic rather than technical perspective and find a recent audiobook or DVD that has qualities that you want. Then get in touch with one of the technical people involved with that project.

Another place to go is
http://thewombforums.com/index.php
There are many audio pros there, some of exceedingly high quality. You will likely be able to connect with a number of people who have relevant experience and the portfolio to prove it. You will also get people with marginally relevant experience who will offer to take a shot at it, so be clear on what you are looking for.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:53 PM

Hi Jack,

With the British Pound quite low at the moment, we might also be competitive.

Kind regards,
Old 03-18-2009, 10:12 PM

Jack,

I would be glad to do 15 minutes for you for free to see how things go and take it from there- you can check my work ,credentials and rates here

www.thetankstudio.com

I am also a 15 year advanced audio instructor at an Art School in Seattle

Be happy to be involved-

Tom Pfaeffle
[email protected]