Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 08-11-2015, 12:50 PM

Default Re: i7 Builds - Specs and Results

can't recall any new hardware installations - when I installed from PT9 to PT11, everything seemed to start out just fine. I had tons of errors with PT9 (error messages popping up), and when I first got PT11, things went great for awhile, and just slowly started going downhill. At first it only happened with large sessions that had multiple plugins/tracks, but now it is happening with new sessions that only have a couple tracks.

So when you say hardware issue, what could that most likely be? Hard drive failure, or memory sticks? I didn't think memory sticks ever went bad really, so my next guess was hard drive. Just not sure how to find that out...
Old 08-27-2015, 03:53 PM

I’ve got two box of Corsair 16 GB (4 X 4) CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 memory for a total of 32 GB to install in my Asus Sabertooth X79 motherboard but on the “DIMM socket support (Optional)” table at the Sabertooth manual the ckecked options for that memory model are 2 DIMM, 4 DIMM and 6 DIMM - the 8 DIMM option is not checked.

What does that really mean? Should I avoid populating all the 8 slots as I was intended to do, using only 6 memory modules and discarding two of them?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:59 PM

It means ASUS didn't test that configuration. It does not necessarily mean that it won't work. Go ahead and throw them all in there. If it doesn't work, then you need to buy different memory.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
It means ASUS didn't test that configuration. It does not necessarily mean that it won't work. Go ahead and throw them all in there. If it doesn't work, then you need to buy different memory.
Hi, thanks for answering. That’s what I’d usually do, I mean, installing all the eight memory modules and seeing how it works.

I just asked that because beside what’s in the manual I found the following information on another forum: “...And are you aware that your system would probably be considerably faster if you stuck to only 4 DIMMs for good quad-channel performance without overloading your IMC. 4 x 4 GB = 16 GB total should be smoking fast on your system and provide you with more memory bandwidth and size than you will most likely ever need.”.

I’m far from being a computer expert and I’m struggling to build my own computer so I’m trying to collect as much information as possible and use the best configuration I can.

Thanks again and please excuse me for my poor english.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:44 PM

I'm not qualified to answer that particular question about speed, as I have no build experience with quad-channel configs.

Keep in mind that 16 GB (or more) is the recommended amount for using Pro Tools with video content.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:36 AM

Have you tried Windows' Administrative Tools? Event Viewer shows a history of all events/problems the OS detects - including hard drive and memory problems. (Wouldn't it be nice if PT did that?) Windows Memory Diagnostic will test your memory. Disk Cleanup & Defragment and Optimize Drives may tell if you have drive problems while optimizing their performance. Performance Monitor and Resource Monitor show you how your computer is performing (as opposed to PT's "System Usage" which apparently shows you how PT is performing).

For a thorough Hard Drive surface test - I've found http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/...t-surface.html most useful because it's independent of what's on the disk. It will correctly test drives that some other testers fail simply because of data/indexing corruption by Windows. It would be wise to backup your drive(s) first though! You really ought to consider going to a SSD for your OS, especially if you find you need a new one!

For latency monitoring/testing when PT is not running try http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon. To do so while PT is running try http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac146 View Post
can't recall any new hardware installations - when I installed from PT9 to PT11, everything seemed to start out just fine. I had tons of errors with PT9 (error messages popping up), and when I first got PT11, things went great for awhile, and just slowly started going downhill. At first it only happened with large sessions that had multiple plugins/tracks, but now it is happening with new sessions that only have a couple tracks.

So when you say hardware issue, what could that most likely be? Hard drive failure, or memory sticks? I didn't think memory sticks ever went bad really, so my next guess was hard drive. Just not sure how to find that out...

Last edited by Amack; 08-28-2015 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Cleanup
Old 09-08-2015, 09:03 AM

Just built a rig with an i7 5960x LGA2011v3 processor, Gigabyte x99 UD5-wifi mobo, 32GB of Ballistix DDr4 2400 RAM, Windows 10 Pro, EVGA GeForce GTX960 video card, Kraken X61 Liquid Cooling, NZXT 440 case, EVGA Supernova 850 Watt PS, 500 GB SSD (OS and primary apps) and a 2 TB WD Black drive for storage.

Installed Pro Tools First, and it crashed a bit until I changed the optimization setting from Recording to Playback, and most importantly had to change the PT executable to run in Windows 8 compatibility mode. Hasn't crashed since, but also its not recognizing any of the plug ins I installed (have to check to make sure they are x64 and the correct format)
Old 09-08-2015, 11:38 AM

I have about $1700 for a new build.
32 gig memory is my goal. Dual SSD drives and I'll also incorporate my older sata3 WD Black spinners.
I can also use my dvdrw sata3 drive(s)
I probably will not be into video much at all so I shouldn't need a top end graphics card.
I have not done a build since my core duo builds.
My machine will be a dedicated DAW only, no games or other software.
Am I wrong in thinking I should build a system with a mother board that has Thunderbolt capability built in?
I see some new hardware out there with TB compatibility and it looks pretty nice.

Is it better to go with a Xeon Processor, Haswell Chipset or not?

I have PTools 11.3.1 Vanilla and am not intending to go to 12, even with the new additions available in 12.2 vanilla.
I am entertaining the thoughts of going with either Cubase or Studio 1

I will install Windows Pro 8.1 that I own. I don't know that I want Windows 10.
I sure want the ability to control when or if my O.S. will install updates.
Windows 10 wants to be a live O.S. which may be ok for desktop users but not for a DAW or dedicated higher end video machine.

So what do you more experienced guys suggest?
I will be doing my research but it can be overwhelming with all the new stuff available.

BTW, I considered a hackintosh build but I want to know I have a stable machine and not chase gremlins.
Thanks.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkRider View Post
I have about $1700 for a new build.
32 gig memory is my goal. Dual SSD drives and I'll also incorporate my older sata3 WD Black spinners.
I can also use my dvdrw sata3 drive(s)
I probably will not be into video much at all so I shouldn't need a top end graphics card.
I have not done a build since my core duo builds.
My machine will be a dedicated DAW only, no games or other software.
Am I wrong in thinking I should build a system with a mother board that has Thunderbolt capability built in?
I see some new hardware out there with TB compatibility and it looks pretty nice.

Is it better to go with a Xeon Processor, Haswell Chipset or not?

I have PTools 11.3.1 Vanilla and am not intending to go to 12, even with the new additions available in 12.2 vanilla.
I am entertaining the thoughts of going with either Cubase or Studio 1

I will install Windows Pro 8.1 that I own. I don't know that I want Windows 10.
I sure want the ability to control when or if my O.S. will install updates.
Windows 10 wants to be a live O.S. which may be ok for desktop users but not for a DAW or dedicated higher end video machine.

So what do you more experienced guys suggest?
I will be doing my research but it can be overwhelming with all the new stuff available.

BTW, I considered a hackintosh build but I want to know I have a stable machine and not chase gremlins.
Thanks.
x99 5820k. That is you best bet. You may have to skimp a bit to make it fit in your budget, but more than worth it.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 09-09-2015, 01:52 PM

Ok folks anyone want to take a stab at this?
I checked compatibility list of memory and motherboard.
I have a Graphics card on hand I can use.
The only thing I'm lacking is a cooling solution for processor.
Water or Air Cool. I have never done water before.
What are your thoughts! Yes, I know this is at $2100 but I can
do it if I really want to.
The MB is a server board and can use Xeon with ECC Memory if I wanted.
I think ??? if a person wanted to use 128gig of memory it has to be Registered ECC ram.

Edit: Went to PCPartPicker as mesaone kindly suggested.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/LouDor...d/#view=My3G3C

DAW System Parts Wish List, I'm open to suggestions!

Last edited by ValkRider; 09-09-2015 at 03:01 PM.