Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2013, 11:32 AM

Default Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 8

I am still running Pro Tools 8 LE on a IMac with OS 10.6.3 I use this for writing and pre-production so have never seen any need to upgrade it as the system does everything I want.

I am thinking about adding an Eleven Rack to the system but don't know if it is going to work with Pro Tools 8 LE and OS 10.6.3

I do have versions of Eleven and Eleven Free as part of Protools.

Does anyone know whether the Eleven Rack will work with my system or would I have to upgrade everything to make it work.

Thanks,
Old 11-30-2013, 11:50 AM

The more recent versions of Pro Tools 8 should work. If it is an Eleven Rack with expansion pack (I.e. any new Eleven Rack you buy will have this then you will need to install the GUI plugin part of the expansion pack if you want the control GUI within Pro Tools. I am not sure how you get that with without having to buy the expansion pack.

A new Eleven Rack comes with Pro Tools 10 and 11 Licenses. A more productive use of your time might be working out if you can upgrade OS X and Pro Tools to 10 and/or 11 on that Mac. (and 10 includes the Eleven Rack GUI already, 11 does not yet support it). You also do not *need* the GUI to use the Eleven Rack as an interface or stand alone, everything is doable via the front panel.

The Eleven Rack operates completely independently of the Eleven plugins, and I am not following why you mentioned them (except maybe if you like them you will have a feel for some if the capability of the Eleven Rack -- except it can do an awful lot more).
Old 11-30-2013, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 8

You need a minimum of Pro Tools 8.0.1 for the Eleven Rack, you should be using the last version of LE8, 8.0.5

If you are buying a new Eleven Rack, it will come with Pro Tools 10/11.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...651?popup=true

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 11-30-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
The more recent versions of Pro Tools 8 should work. If it is an Eleven Rack with expansion pack (I.e. any new Eleven Rack you buy will have this then you will need to install the GUI plugin part of the expansion pack if you want the control GUI within Pro Tools. I am not sure how you get that with without having to buy the expansion pack.

A new Eleven Rack comes with Pro Tools 10 and 11 Licenses. A more productive use of your time might be working out if you can upgrade OS X and Pro Tools to 10 and/or 11 on that Mac. (and 10 includes the Eleven Rack GUI already, 11 does not yet support it). You also do not *need* the GUI to use the Eleven Rack as an interface or stand alone, everything is doable via the front panel.

The Eleven Rack operates completely independently of the Eleven plugins, and I am not following why you mentioned them (except maybe if you like them you will have a feel for some if the capability of the Eleven Rack -- except it can do an awful lot more).
I have a full outline of how to get the ERXP UI files for Pro Tools if you already have the ERXP on your Eleven Rack.

http://elevenrackusers.blogspot.com/...howing-in.html

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 11-30-2013, 12:20 PM

Helpful Thanks.
I have Pro Tools 8.0.4 right now. Suppose it is easy enough to go to 8.0.5 but have not had any problems with my version so never bothered.

I know I could upgrade to 10 with the Eleven Rack but not sure what the learning curve is on making that move

I am very used to 8 LE and don't have time to spend learning new systems right now. I am using my home system for writing, pre-production stuff like time maps, instrumentation, etc. before I go into a full studio to record. I am in that phase right now and thought the rack would give me more guitar sounds to play with before I start recording next month.

I only want it for the studio not live, as that is covered so need it to interface with ProTools easily.

I have a Digidesign 003 board in the home studio. If the Rack will work can't I just plug it into that?

So if I am reading you all correctly, the Eleven Rack should work with my system? Without upgrading to 10?
Old 11-30-2013, 12:47 PM

"You also do not *need* the GUI to use the Eleven Rack as an interface or stand alone, everything is doable via the front panel."

Thats not totally correct Darryl as you can not load or save presets without the GUI.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonstail View Post
Helpful Thanks.
I have Pro Tools 8.0.4 right now. Suppose it is easy enough to go to 8.0.5 but have not had any problems with my version so never bothered.

I know I could upgrade to 10 with the Eleven Rack but not sure what the learning curve is on making that move

I am very used to 8 LE and don't have time to spend learning new systems right now. I am using my home system for writing, pre-production stuff like time maps, instrumentation, etc. before I go into a full studio to record. I am in that phase right now and thought the rack would give me more guitar sounds to play with before I start recording next month.

I only want it for the studio not live, as that is covered so need it to interface with ProTools easily.

I have a Digidesign 003 board in the home studio. If the Rack will work can't I just plug it into that?

So if I am reading you all correctly, the Eleven Rack should work with my system? Without upgrading to 10?
There is no need to upgrade to 10, if want to be a technology laggard on 8.x just stay there

So you are going to run the Eleven Rack as an outboard processor on the 003. Very simple to do it you think about it or follow the instructions in the Eleven Rack user guide. First just get it working at all stand alone, and once you are used to its basic operation hookup to up to the 003 (ideally via S/PDIF if that is unused in the 003) as described in the manual. You don't need to mess with GUI plugins at all, and when used as a dumb outboard processor will work fine with any version of Pro Tools, since Pro Tools is not aware of, or talk to the Eleven Rack .
Old 11-30-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonstail View Post
[snip...]

I am very used to 8 LE and don't have time to spend learning new systems right now. [snip...]
Basically no learning curve between LE8 and 10. If you don't want to use the new features in PT10, just don't use them, everything else works ~exactly the same IIRC.

One thing that is indispensable for me is Clip Gain which is in PT10 and 11.

If you think you will be wanting to upgrade to PT10/11 in the future, you may as well get it now with an Eleven Rack. I can't imagine you would ever find it cheaper than it is now

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ls_Eleven.html

If you don't want to use the included Pro Tools right now, you don't have to. But at least you would have it when you want it.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 12-01-2013, 11:58 AM

If I upgrade from 8 to 10 are my plug-ins going to work?

I have things all the expansion pack from PT8 plus Ethno, EVO, and some others. Will I have to repurchase all of these?
Old 12-01-2013, 12:31 PM

Pro Tools 10 supports RTAS plugins but it is up to you to go check what the latest versions of those plugins support and if any paid upgrades are required. This is stuff that you have to get on top of yourself.