Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 12-03-2004, 10:15 PM

Default digital artifact in MiniDisc recording?

I don't know if this is an appropriate place to post this question, but I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out. I record a lot of source sounds in the field with a MiniDisc recorder (using a Shure SM94 condenser mic). I have been having problems with an annoying digital noise that I may be some sort of aliasing or clipping. I'm hoping there is some way I can eliminate it by getting a better recording level, etc. I can't believe it is inherent to the medium - it's totally unacceptable sound quality. Any kind souls with suggestions?

Here's an example: short clip of drumming in parking lot

This is a little clip of a school drum band I found drumming in a parking lot. You can hear mic handling noise and traffic noise, but there's also a very noticeable digital "warbling" in there as well. It comes and goes, and seems to be most prevalent at medium-to-high levels. Could it be clipping? The sounds do not seem to be at clipping levels on playback (e.g. there is still a lot of dynamic range, even above the peaks)...

Any thoughts? Anybody else using a minidisc out there?

Thanks - Eric
Old 12-14-2004, 07:43 PM

Default Re: digital artifact in MiniDisc recording?

What exactly are you trying to achieve? Minidisk is not a great system for any sound recording with a wide dynamic range. Its data compression algorithym throws away data at the lower end of the dynamic range. It also sounds like a cheap mic. For this kind of recording, you really need a quality mic and a good shock mount. The only artifact I could hear in the clip sounded like mechanical noise to me. If you are using a tiny mic that plugs into the MD unit with no cable, that will pickup mechanical noise from the recorder as well.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-15-2004, 08:25 AM

How old is the disc? I have heard of problems when the discs start to get older and have been rerecorded over and over. Maybe the disc is getting ready to fail?

Norm
Old 12-23-2004, 12:51 PM

Thanks to both of you for trying to help troubleshoot. The disc is brand-new, so that's not the problem.

I know I was getting both mechanical noise and electromagnetic interference at first - the interference was from the "remote" control they have that you can plug your headphones into. I got rid of that and plugged the headphones directly into the unit.

I'm using a decent condenser mic (Shure SM94) on a 6' XLR cable that's plugged into one of those little line adapters to rectify the balanced line and convert to unbalanced. The noise is better with this mic than with the cheaper mic I used before, but is still quite audible.

If the MD compression algorithm is so bad, what should I be using for field receordings? I need something small, fast, and durable since I carry it around in a case and record anything that sounds interesting. I thought that the MD A/D conversion process was OK - the one I am using is supposed to store audio with CD quality (16x44.1K) capacity...

When I first started this kind of thing, many years ago, I used a stereo recording cassette walkman. That was not exactly the best quality sound either...

Thanks - Eric
Old 01-07-2005, 06:22 AM

Warbling could be a sign that the mini disk motor is not entirely constant, but I would think that would also show up on playback of pre-recorded disks as well. It wouldn't take much speed variation at all as it's effects would be magnified by the compression. Perhaps that would make it more noticable on disks you record, vs pre-recorded disks.

Just a thought.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:24 PM

one solution is the korg mini recorder..it's a 4 track mini studio..
thats if you want 4 tracks..but I think it's compressed..

then theres..the marantz high end recorder which goes for 699.00

but I would go with the Edirol R1 which i've seen for 439.00
http://www.edirol.com/products/info/r1.html
has built in stereo condensor mics plus it's less expensive..no xlr inputs though... you'd need an adapter..

however, with built in stereo electret microphones, effects, plus built in tuner, and metronome, the r1 has my vote..

what I'm saying, in other words, is that you try out a solid state solution..

and if your listening is not that critical, you can always use a a solid state voice recorder which won't be as good as the previous suggestions, but nonetheless, solid state.

I think that the Ipod also has an accessory to enable voice recording. but the results would be poor in my opinion

good luck..

by the way I prob wouldn't be too worried about the compression interference of that example you gave...

the background noise, however..is something to definitely look at..

I want to apologize partially about the previous post...I was monitoring through lo resolution computer monitors at the time.. and all it sounded like was a bunch of background noise... mostly hiss (which I don't get with good recordings)...I recently revisited the post and heard it through hi resolution monitors...the recording actually sounds as if there is a flanging type effect being added..most likely from the motor the previous poster pointed out...anyway solid state is the way to go..

lol.. turns out it was a flanger effect on one of my digital mixer monitor configs...turning off the effect yielded the same results as before... the first part of the post sticks