Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2020, 06:22 AM

Default Help with new HDX card etc.

Is it possible to use my 192 i/o's with an hdx core card? Also how many 192 i/o's can I use with 1 hdx core card? I am currently using 4 192 i'o's with an old hd core and 2 accell cards and am stuck with pthd 10 and I want to use pthd 12 but my OS only works with pthd 10 so I want to upgrade to the current OS and use pthd 12 which means the old hd cards have to go and I have to get 1 hdx card. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:24 AM

Default Re: Help with new HDX card etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark9169 View Post
Is it possible to use my 192 i/o's with an hdx core card? Also how many 192 i/o's can I use with 1 hdx core card? I am currently using 4 192 i'o's with an old hd core and 2 accell cards and am stuck with pthd 10 and I want to use pthd 12 but my OS only works with pthd 10 so I want to upgrade to the current OS and use pthd 12 which means the old hd cards have to go and I have to get 1 hdx card. Thanks.
Yes (not officially supported but will work). You can use 4 192s with one HDX card.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
Yes (not officially supported but will work). You can use 4 192s with one HDX card.
Awesome! Thank you for the quick reply!!!! Do I use the same old digilink cables to get from the HDX to the 192 or is there a different cable?
Old 03-21-2020, 07:26 AM

Old cables with mini digilink adaptor at the card
Old 03-21-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
Old cables with mini digilink adaptor at the card
Excellent! Thanks!
Old 03-21-2020, 09:01 AM

There's a little more to consider before you dive in(actually, more than a little)
#1-You mention upgrading to "the current OS" and PT 12HD, but which OS are you meaning? If its Catalina on a Mac, then you need to come all the way up to the current "Ultimate" software(Ultimate is what HD was)

#2-if you do move up to the latest(from 12.6 and up), then you will also need a Digilink license on your iLok. I'm not sure if that is included when you purchase an HDX card or Ultimate software. I just want you to be aware of this as otherwise, the Digilink license is a one-time purchase at $299.

#3-you will need 2 adapter cables(Digilink at one end and MiniDigilink at the other). A new HDX card may include 1 and they are available on eBay or from most Avid dealers.

#4-None of your old plugin installers will work. Starting with PT 11, Pro Tools ONLY supports AAX64 plugins. Most every plugin is available in that format, but not all are available in the DSP version(to take advantage of the HDX card's processing power), Waves being the big one. If you have lots of older sessions, consider ways to cover your *****. One way would be to leave the old computer(with the HD cards) alone and start fresh with a newer computer and software. That way, you could connect one of your 192's and open old sessions intact, or to take notes on plugins because some old plugins(like the digirack Delay plugins for short, medium, long, etc) got changed into a single delay plugin(it does everything the ones did, but won't automatically replace then in an older session).

#5-Do you really NEED HDX, or could HD/Native serve you? It has no DSP, but can handle 64 IO(your old 192's) fine and a current 6-core computer can handle most any project short of movie soundtrack work(not sure what your focus is). And a used Native PCIe card or Thunderbolt box(if you have a Thunderbolt port) are less than $1K on eBay The PCIe card is discontinued but supported. If you purchase new, then you may also get new software in the package(but always ask).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-21-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
There's a little more to consider before you dive in(actually, more than a little)
#1-You mention upgrading to "the current OS" and PT 12HD, but which OS are you meaning? If its Catalina on a Mac, then you need to come all the way up to the current "Ultimate" software(Ultimate is what HD was)

#2-if you do move up to the latest(from 12.6 and up), then you will also need a Digilink license on your iLok. I'm not sure if that is included when you purchase an HDX card or Ultimate software. I just want you to be aware of this as otherwise, the Digilink license is a one-time purchase at $299.

#3-you will need 2 adapter cables(Digilink at one end and MiniDigilink at the other). A new HDX card may include 1 and they are available on eBay or from most Avid dealers.

#4-None of your old plugin installers will work. Starting with PT 11, Pro Tools ONLY supports AAX64 plugins. Most every plugin is available in that format, but not all are available in the DSP version(to take advantage of the HDX card's processing power), Waves being the big one. If you have lots of older sessions, consider ways to cover your *****. One way would be to leave the old computer(with the HD cards) alone and start fresh with a newer computer and software. That way, you could connect one of your 192's and open old sessions intact, or to take notes on plugins because some old plugins(like the digirack Delay plugins for short, medium, long, etc) got changed into a single delay plugin(it does everything the ones did, but won't automatically replace then in an older session).

#5-Do you really NEED HDX, or could HD/Native serve you? It has no DSP, but can handle 64 IO(your old 192's) fine and a current 6-core computer can handle most any project short of movie soundtrack work(not sure what your focus is). And a used Native PCIe card or Thunderbolt box(if you have a Thunderbolt port) are less than $1K on eBay The PCIe card is discontinued but supported. If you purchase new, then you may also get new software in the package(but always ask).
Wow, thanks. Yea I have decided to just stay where I am at. Im on mountain lion 10 8.