Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-25-2003, 06:40 PM

Default ProTools quits, again and again

My good Lord. What have I done?

Okay, look at this. Power Mac G4 with OSX 10.2.6, PT 6.0.1 LE, all the updates for the 001, all the upgrades with the Mac. My computer rig is the newest software everything. As good as it gets. Perfect.

But still, again and again, I can't do anything more powerful that D-Verb until Pro Tools shuts down.

I've read all the posts, I do everything to clean it up. I took digidesign's advice about everything and read all the articles. Still, quits out every time. What the hell?

I have a big session starting with some guys with big bucks in their wallets and my program is shutting down in the middle of takes. I may be tracking the whole band and everything's good, until the program freezes up and we've lost it all, even the groove. This sucks.

Now I've heard it all, about how to fix it. I've done it all. I think. Trashed prefs, all the updates, and I don't even have internet access on my pro tools computer. This is how I isolate it from the dangers of the internet to programs. But still, it shows no mercy.

WHAT CAN I DO!! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Thanks
- Andy
Old 06-25-2003, 06:52 PM

Default Re: ProTools quits, again and again

Sorry to hear that. You said you've tried everything but I'll throw out a few just in case.

Have you run a disk utility like Disk Warrior or optimized/defragged with Plus Optimizer? By the way, don't let any version of Norton Utilities run on your computer.

Have you run Jaguar Cache Cleaner? That cleared up unexpected quits for me.

Also try upgrading to 10.2.6. Download and install the combo updater from the Apple site.

You also might want to try a clean install of X and start from the ground up again.

Hope you find a solution soon.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:38 PM

I don't have any Norton stuff on my mac, but defrag? I've been told by many people that it's not neccessary to defrag on macs. I mean, I don't know much about them outside of protools. I intentionally switched to macs for pro tools alone. Figuring out installation and navigation was a little bit of a challenge, but real quick to master. But something I was always told was that defragging was not really needed. But it is, huh? What if I have a drive partitioned, with one side with sessions and one with system stuff. Would I need to defrag both sections?

Jaguar cache cleaner? What is that? I have 10.2.6, but what is the cache cleaner?

I'm considering reinstalling everything tonight. But why? I haven't made any serious changes to the software build. None, in fact. So what would that do?

HELP!
Old 06-25-2003, 09:12 PM

I was having frequent crashes also, reinstalling the OS and ditching some bad ramm did it for me.Please list your computer specs to help pinpoint potintial problems.Best of luck...Iv been their too..it duz sug!
Old 06-25-2003, 10:22 PM

its all right there in my signature. what do you mean by trashing some bad ramm?
Old 06-25-2003, 10:48 PM

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

1. What is the exact error message?
2. Have you contacted Digi Design with #1 info?

Best regards,
Bruce
Old 06-26-2003, 12:28 AM

It's the same thing everyone else is getting. "Pro Tools has unexpectedly quit." It's really funny when I shut the program down and up to a minute later that screen shows up. Yes I have, and they told me to look here and read they're help articles, which I have done and followed with no change. This isn't cool at all.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:38 AM

How much RAM do you have?
Old 06-26-2003, 12:40 AM

Also I would go with 10.2.5 or higher instead of the 10.2.3.

www.myspace.com/monkeywrenchmusic
Old 06-26-2003, 01:10 PM

whoa, sorry about that. I needed to update my profile. take a look at it now.