Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2014, 10:17 PM

Default Upgrading Pro Tools 11

I am going to be upgrading from v 8.0.5 to v 11 next week through Sweetwater. My question is an iLok question.

I have the old iLok dongle that came with the LE versions. I have an iLok2 also that was used with Pro Tools Express in another computer. They have different login names. I was trying to drag licenses from one to the other and I was getting a message that I am not the owner. I right-clicked and got an option to transfer the license and it asked for a fee. I didn't go far enough to see what the fee was. How can I do this?

Thanks,

Basil
Old 10-25-2014, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Upgrading Pro Tools 11

The fee is $25 to transfer any asset from one account to another account. Its free to move stuff between multiple iLoks on one account(I own 7 of them). It is also possible(but I have never done it) to UNregister an iLok, then log in to your other account and register it(so that both iLoks are on the same account). The catch is that this UNregistered iLok must be re-registered within 7 days IIRC(not an issue if you do it all in one sitting). Maybe another user can jump in with experience on this

Since the iLok2 holds 5 times what the old one does, and since more and more companies are requiring iLok2(including PT 11 and SLATE digital), I agree that you should move everything to the iLok2. You might also consider buying the "insurance". ZDT is $39.95/year and if your iLok gets lost/stolen/broken, you can go buy a new one and get temp licenses put on it immediately(so you can continue to work and have time to contact companies to arrange for replacement licenses).

Hobbyists may pass on this, but if recording is your livelihood, its impossible to have too much backup

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-25-2014, 12:35 PM

Thanks, Dave. I bought another iLok.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
ZDT is $39.95/year and if your iLok gets lost/stolen/broken, you can go buy a new one and get temp licenses put on it immediately(so you can continue to work and have time to contact companies to arrange for replacement licenses).
With ZDT/TLC (the latter is free) Pace/iLok retrieves the licenses for you. All you have to do is submit an RMA. Temporary licenses are then deposited to your account immediately, followed by full licenses a few days later.